1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

The stable is growing!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 06:13 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,456 Posts
I am so sorry to hear that Blue Oval Rage. It looks so good. I hope you can get her fixed and running good with out too much expense.

Is the wife still liking it?

Old 06-23-2018, 06:55 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by ben73058
Hey Blue Oval,
I don't think there is a guy on here who has bought a truck that met expectations.
Ben in Austin
1950 F1
Certainly the case with my truck.What I should have done, and I'd encourage BOR to consider, is to STOP and decide whether to go forward or not. He wanted a ready to go truck, and didn't get it. I'd have saved thousands by admitting my mistake and could have sold it as-is for a decent profit, but Noooooo... I poured the money into it.

Old 06-23-2018, 07:04 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine was the same story, I think it is very common. Good luck with the truck and like Ben said it is in good hands now. Sorry to hear that a fellow Texan didn't tell the truth, but I think that is fairly common now days...

Old 06-24-2018, 05:27 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Since it’s been raining non-stop and I had a couple days off, I’ve kinda spent the weekend assessing what shape the truck is really in and what I ought to do about it. While I’m disappointed that the body isn’t just a little straighter, I’d be hard pressed to find another one this solid here in the rust belt. After all, I DID want a driver. It definitely looks good enough to cruise in but not so nice that I’d be afraid to drive it, so I guess it fits the bill in that regard. And yes, I’m flat disgusted that mechanically it’s looking like a gut job. But I’ve got a lift now and I’m otherwise we’ll-equipped to handle the work. The bottom line is that I wanted a ‘55 and now I’ve got one. As much as I didn’t want another project, I’m going to fix it. Momma says I have because she wants to drive it! . At least I’ve still got her support.

In all seriousness, the decision came down to mostly economics. I’ve been looking at trucks and watching prices for months. I paid what I would consider to be a slightly generous but fair price for a truck in this condition IF it were running and in reasonable mechanical condition. I gambled on that last part and lost. Knowing what I do now, I overpaid by about 50%. With what I’ve got in the truck itself and the trip to go get it, there’s no profit in selling it right now. Quite the opposite. I’d have to take a huge loss and that would push buying a replacement in better condition off by literally years. I figure that the parts and machine work to get this thing in shape are going to run about $2500 more than I had budgeted for and the truck will be worth about what I paid for it when I’m done. I’ll be upside down in it, but not by as much as I would lose if I cut my losses and unloaded it right now. And at least I’ll still have the truck and when it’s fixed i’ll know exactly what I’ve got.

Old 06-24-2018, 05:37 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I wasn’t going to post this part because it will expose what kind of a sappy dork I can be, but I haven’t told this part of the story yet and I don’t want to paint the seller of the truck as a complete con man. So here it is:

The other thing I took in to consideration is the truck. THIS truck. Some folks - even folks in this hobby - take an old vehicle like this strictly at face value. It’s just a cold, dead machine to them. Or maybe a piece of art or even a commodity. It’s nothing more than an object that they assign a monetary value to and that’s that. They don’t ever think about or appreciate where it has came from or what it has been through like some of us do. They don’t respect its history. They own it and they may even take pride in it. But they never really love it because you can’t care that much about something that you don’t respect.

The guy I bought THIS truck from was really attached to it and he was pretty emotional about seeing it on the trailer and headed out of his life. You could tell he really loved the thing just like it is and for what it is, mechanical issues excluded. He had to have known that the engine needed some work when it was parked, but I don’t think that he knew things were quite as bad as what they are and I don’t think he was intentionally deceptive about it. He wanted to fix it but I got the impression that he just wasn’t capable of doing it himself and couldn’t afford to pay somebody else. My buddy and I ended up spending the best part of the morning with the seller and his family after the truck was loaded up. Great folks! They fed us a huge homemade breakfast and told us the story of how they got the truck and what it’s been up to for the last 20 years. We got to see pictures of it through the years while they’ve had it and could see that it was almost a member of the family. Getting that kind of history and backstory and buying a truck from somebody who really loved it means something and it has value of its own that you can’t put a price on. Or at least it does to me. I guess maybe I’m weird about stuff like that. It felt more like he was giving me custody of his child than selling an old truck. So I suppose I don’t just feel like I own it now. I feel like I’m responsible for it.

Old 06-24-2018, 06:26 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Blue Oval,
I certainly don't think you are sappy at all. I think a lot of us feel the same way... we want to know the truck's history.. it's important.
I'm glad you are going to take it on & get it running just the way you want it. It's a nice truck and your wife likes it.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 06-24-2018, 07:13 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok, it sounds like it was meant to be with you - a person who could actually bring it back to life! Yes, it isn't a good feeling to think that you paid 50% too much but it was an adventure and you now have another "project". Projects can keep us going whether we like it or not. And great that your better half likes it!

Old 06-24-2018, 08:35 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,838 Likes on 1,837 Posts
What a bummer that it wasn't quite as nice as you had pictured.
As you know, the best way to make thousands of bucks messing with old trucks is to start out with millions of bucks. Sometimes the bottom line isn't what its all about. Yea, sure, you might be a little upside down in the dollars spent department at present but take a look at the big picture. You gat a danged nice looking truck and a supportive wife. Yea, it will need some tweaking before you are ready to drive but not too bad.

Now would be a good time to step back and re-assess a bit and decide exactly what you are expecting from the truck; decent driver, show stopper, etc. If it were me, I'd focus on the mechanicals. The small rust hole and slightly rough paint wouldn't phase me a bit (unless I was after a show stopper or something).

For the record, I don't think you are a dork. I understand about these trucks (not all of them...but some of them) are more than just a hunk of old steel. If the truck is talking to you, then fix it a enjoy it.

Bobby

Old 06-24-2018, 09:19 PM
Brian1950F4
More Turbo
Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts
I like that you got the back story on this truck. I am still in contact with the guy I bought my 53 from. I send him pictures of the truck in different locations and cruise ins. He decided he missed the truck and bought another one- which he sends me pictures of. We also discuss different projects we are doing on our trucks.

Old 06-24-2018, 09:29 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian1950F4
I like that you got the back story on this truck. I am still in contact with the guy I bought my 53 from. I send him pictures of the truck in different locations and cruise ins. He decided he missed the truck and bought another one- which he sends me pictures of. We also discuss different projects we are doing on our trucks.
That's pretty cool..