Electric Fan - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Electric Fan

Old 05-15-2018, 12:54 PM
Suffolkman
Senior User
Suffolkman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yes I think that is exactly what I will have to do. Though not to Napa !.

Old 05-15-2018, 01:05 PM
ghart
Senior User
ghart is starting off with a positive reputation.
I remember searching for belts two years ago when I did my alternator conversion (link). I also have a 5/8" pulley, single belt, on my flathead. I'll have to double check when I get home, but for some reason Gates B52 sticks out in my head.

Old 05-15-2018, 01:21 PM
Suffolkman
Senior User
Just googled Gates B52,,,and came up with a 55" belt, which would possibly be about right. Someone has done some crap work on my truck. Just hope I don't find anything else. Many thanks.

Old 05-15-2018, 03:21 PM
ALBUQ F-1
postin' fool
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
The books show 54.5" for most trucks, 3/4" wide.
The guide rails on the front of the manifold, especially aluminum manifolds, are easy to break. When you are adjusting the belts, don't let the alternator yoke slide down hard.

Old 05-15-2018, 09:07 PM
ghart
Senior User
Just checked my truck. Main belt is a Gates B52 (I can't believe I remembered that!) and the fan belt is a Dayco BP34.

Old 05-16-2018, 01:25 PM
Suffolkman
Senior User
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 View Post
The books show 54.5" for most trucks, 3/4" wide.
The guide rails on the front of the manifold, especially aluminum manifolds, are easy to break. When you are adjusting the belts, don't let the alternator yoke slide down hard.
I am also trying to get hold of an original forged steel generator bracket to replace the ali repop one which I feel does not fit at all well.
Got hold of a 55" belt today, it seems to be a good fit. The company rebuilding the radiator are going to fit a 16" fan to the back of the rad. They are also fitting a thermostatic switch into the bottom tank. Which cuts in and cuts out at set temperatures. Just need to work out now how to wire it up.

Suffolkman

Old 05-16-2018, 02:27 PM
Normalbloke
Senior User
Normalbloke has a good reputation on FTE.Normalbloke has a good reputation on FTE.Normalbloke has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Suffolkman View Post
I am also trying to get hold of an original forged steel generator bracket to replace the ali repop one which I feel does not fit at all well.
Got hold of a 55" belt today, it seems to be a good fit. The company rebuilding the radiator are going to fit a 16" fan to the back of the rad. They are also fitting a thermostatic switch into the bottom tank. Which cuts in and cuts out at set temperatures. Just need to work out now how to wire it up.

Suffolkman
With or without a shroud?

Old 05-16-2018, 02:41 PM
ReForder
Elder User
ReForder has a great reputation on FTE.ReForder has a great reputation on FTE.ReForder has a great reputation on FTE.ReForder has a great reputation on FTE.
Sounds like a good deal! Do you know if the thermoswitch is 2 speed or 1? That will determine what kind of relay you need and how you wire it.

You can get simple fan relays anywhere...more complicated if they run 2 speed switches though..

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/d...oling-products

Old 05-16-2018, 02:42 PM
Suffolkman
Senior User
With a brand new core fitted...so basically a new radiator,I am going to try with no cowl to start.

Old 05-16-2018, 02:44 PM
Suffolkman
Senior User
Originally Posted by ReForder View Post
Sounds like a good deal! Do you know if the thermoswitch is 2 speed or 1? That will determine what kind of relay you need and how you wire it.

You can get simple fan relays anywhere...more complicated if they run 2 speed switches though..

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/d...oling-products
As far as I know it is single speed.

Old 05-16-2018, 02:47 PM
ghart
Senior User
Originally Posted by Suffolkman View Post
I've got the original generator bracket from my '48 sitting in a box, but I doubt it'd be worth the cost of shipping it over the Atlantic.

Old 05-16-2018, 02:57 PM
Suffolkman
Senior User
Originally Posted by ghart View Post
I've got the original generator bracket from my '48 sitting in a box, but I doubt it'd be worth the cost of shipping it over the Atlantic.
I am looking at an original bracket next weekend. Hoping it will fit my Power Gen alternator. Which as I am sure you know resembles the original generator. If that does not come off I could contact you.

Old 05-16-2018, 03:48 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
petemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud of
Check with Speedway Motors. I think they have what you need but they are having trouble with their pictures so I can’t tell for sure. Suggest calling them. https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Searc...ress-Up%20Kits

Old 05-16-2018, 05:05 PM
ALBUQ F-1
postin' fool
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
I hope the radiator shop doesn't mount the electric fan with plastic ties shoved thru the fins?

Old 05-17-2018, 01:01 AM
Suffolkman
Senior User
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 View Post
I hope the radiator shop doesn't mount the electric fan with plastic ties shoved thru the fins?
No, they are mounting the fan on bars soldered on to radiator shell.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electric Fan

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.