2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

MAC address of New SD

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 07:26 AM
12Farmer
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MAC address of New SD

Does anyone know how to get the unique MAC address of these trucks? Is it printed somewhere like the key code is for ignition keys, or is there an "About" screen for SYNC 3 that will show that informaiton? I need this for my Wi-Fi network, as I use MAC filtering as a security measure on my home network. I need to enter it in my wireless router's access list so the router will "allow" the truck access to my network.

Just FYI, the MAC address will look something like this: 01-23-45-67-AB-CD or 01:23:45:67:AB:CD

Thanks.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:12 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 239 Likes on 186 Posts
Originally Posted by 12Farmer
Does anyone know how to get the unique MAC address of these trucks? Is it printed somewhere like the key code is for ignition keys, or is there an "About" screen for SYNC 3 that will show that informaiton? I need this for my Wi-Fi network, as I use MAC filtering as a security measure on my home network. I need to enter it in my wireless router's access list so the router will "allow" the truck access to my network.

Just FYI, the MAC address will look something like this: 01-23-45-67-AB-CD or 01:23:45:67:AB:CD

Thanks.
Wow.......Thats a new one that i`ve never heard of and I have the same filtering as you.

Unless something was drastically changed on the 2018`s, all one has to do is search for the WiFi network on the SYNC screen and once it`s found, just type in the password.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:26 AM
rashers
Mountain Pass
I would recommend turning off the mac filtering briefly while doing the initial connection. Grabbing the mac address and then turning the filter back on. You could even turn on the hotspot on your phone briefly and connect to that to find it.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:27 AM
D3thM3tal
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would just turn off MAC filtering, connect the truck to your WiFi, then go into the router and look at the hosts and get the MAC from there.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:33 AM
rashers
Mountain Pass
And since we're on the topic, MAC address filtering isn't considered a reasonable security feature since any clever device/hacker can fake/duplicate a mac address very easily. They can just read them off the back of many of your home devices or packet sniff the network if it's not encrypted. It's much more valuable to have WPA2 wifi security with a password. IMO, the hassle of MAC address filtering isn't worth the value (minimal). So for anyone who is wondering should I turn that on, save yourself the hassle and stick with WPA2 security only.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:40 AM
harmanrk
Laughing Gas
Received 71 Likes on 37 Posts
Even with MAC filtering turned on, you should be able to attpemt to join the truck to the network. You should then be able to check the logs on the router, and find the MAC of the truck, from the failed attempt.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:44 AM
harmanrk
Laughing Gas
Received 71 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by rashers
And since we're on the topic, MAC address filtering isn't considered a reasonable security feature since any clever device/hacker can fake/duplicate a mac address very easily. They can just read them off the back of many of your home devices or packet sniff the network if it's not encrypted. It's much more valuable to have WPA2 wifi security with a password. IMO, the hassle of MAC address filtering isn't worth the value (minimal). So for anyone who is wondering should I turn that on, save yourself the hassle and stick with WPA2 security only.
If they are reading the MAC off the back of a device that already has access to the network, he has bigger issue. Best case, his phone has been stolen, worst case there has been a break in.

As for its usefulness, yes, it is subjective, however it offers an additional layer on top if WPA2 when they are used together.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:49 AM
12Farmer
Tuned
Originally Posted by harmanrk
If they are reading the MAC off the back of a device that already has access to the network, he has bigger issue. Best case, his phone has been stolen, worst case there has been a break in.

As for its usefulness, yes, it is subjective, however it offers an additional layer on top if WPA2 when they are used together.
I agree, MAC filtering is just one layer of security; I use WPA2/PSK for my primary wireless security.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your responses.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:50 AM
D3thM3tal
Tuned
All WiFi is now vulnerable and susceptible to brute force attacking. It is just a locked door, which only keeps honest people honest. I commend you for taking the extra step, but if someone wants in, they are going to get in. If you wanted to be real **** about it, put your wifi on a dmz and limit bandwidth to the point it cannot affect the performance of your main network. Good luck on getting the MAC - kinda fun with all the tech these new trucks have.

Take a look at this article - just when you think you are safe...
https://thehackernews.com/2018/04/io...ermometer.html

Old 05-07-2018, 11:02 AM
roadpilot
Laughing Gas
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
IMO, the hassle of MAC address filtering isn't worth the value (minimal). So for anyone who is wondering should I turn that on, save yourself the hassle and stick with WPA2 security only.
MAC filtering is additive, not exclusive.

Beyond that, if you really think that enabling MAC filtering on the router and typing 12 hexadecimal characters into the screen is a "hassle", you've got issues ...

To the OP: I just enable the mobile hotspot on my phone, connect the truck to the phone, then grab the MAC address.

Old 05-07-2018, 11:30 AM
rashers
Mountain Pass
It could be exclusive in many router configurations (OP didn't say he had other security measures), which is why I mentioned WPA2. Most modern routers would warn strongly against this but it can be done. I was concerned someone (OP or reader) would think MAC address filtering added real security value when it does not to any malicious actor. It's about the security equivalent of adding a latch lock to a door.

In short, I don't think MAC address filtering is worth the paper it's written on (joke). It is clearly hassle to the OP who started a thread on the topic. I think folks would be much better off spending their time focused on securing their devices and just use WPA2 on their router with a good password.

And now back to trucks.

Old 05-07-2018, 11:52 AM
7591250sd
Senior User
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
From another device on the same wifi network. ping the ip address of the truck, then from a 'cmd' prompt if Windows, or terminal from a mac os - enter 'arp -a'
In windows the second column will show the physical address ( MAC address ) on a mac os the output will look like below,,
(192.168.0.8) at c8:e0:eb:57:a9:43 on en0 ifscope [ethernet] the c8:e0:eb:57:a9:43 is the MAC address for ip 192.168.0.8...
Your wifi router should also be able to show the same info..

Old 05-07-2018, 12:14 PM
rashers
Mountain Pass
If a truck drives in a MAC filter forest, does it have an IP?

Old 05-07-2018, 01:32 PM
morleyz
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 7591250sd
From another device on the same wifi network. ping the ip address of the truck, then from a 'cmd' prompt if Windows, or terminal from a mac os - enter 'arp -a'
In windows the second column will show the physical address ( MAC address ) on a mac os the output will look like below,,
(192.168.0.8) at c8:e0:eb:57:a9:43 on en0 ifscope [ethernet] the c8:e0:eb:57:a9:43 is the MAC address for ip 192.168.0.8...
Your wifi router should also be able to show the same info..
If the truck never gets authorized, it won't be permitted to join and never gets an IP address. ARP doesn't work without an IP address (nor will ping for that matter).

I'm sure the OP had plenty of suggestions by now, but I'll throw mine in. Add a non-mac filtered SSID to your access point (don't advertise it if you want some level of obfuscation). If you have "fancy enough" equipment you could: grant the SSID access to a separate VLAN, enable DHCP on the VLAN and just filter all traffic trying to leave the VLAN. You can grab your MAC from the access point, arp, DHCP table, etc. For even more fun, put a simple password on this network and setup an old PC with a honeypot app. See who's knocking at the door to give you an idea of the threat landscape in your hood.

Old 05-07-2018, 01:48 PM
TheGrayRider
Freshman User
If a truck drives in a MAC filter forest, does it have an IP?
Well played sir, well played.

Quick Reply: MAC address of New SD