Caliper question - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

Caliper question

Old 04-21-2018, 06:35 PM
jkalin99
Freshman User
jkalin99 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Caliper question

So the guy at napa told me today that the calipers with phenolic pistons are completely non interchangeable with the calipers that have steel pistons. It's a dana 44. I just want some freaking brakes. Bought a 76 rolling chassis and the front has no calipers so according to him i'm screwed because i don't know which type of caliper it had. Is it true that they are completely different? Or should I go talk to somebody else..

Old 04-21-2018, 07:19 PM
Filthy Beast
Postmaster
Filthy Beast has a very good reputation on FTE.Filthy Beast has a very good reputation on FTE.Filthy Beast has a very good reputation on FTE.Filthy Beast has a very good reputation on FTE.
The pistons are not interchangeable.....the outside diameter(s) are different.....BUT I think the dual piston calipers were only phenolic and not steel - steel was for the single piston caliper. I could be wrong.....?

Measure yours and mebbe find the pistons and rubber booties that match at JBG, Rock Auto, etc

Old 04-21-2018, 07:20 PM
jkalin99
Freshman User
Are the entire calipers themselves interchangeable?

Old 04-21-2018, 07:24 PM
Filthy Beast
Postmaster
Filthy Beast has a very good reputation on FTE.Filthy Beast has a very good reputation on FTE.Filthy Beast has a very good reputation on FTE.Filthy Beast has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by jkalin99 View Post
Are the entire calipers themselves interchangeable?
Don't think so - the single piston calipers are smaller overall than the two piston calipers....for obvious reasons.

Do you have the caliper mounting brackets for the two piston setup?

Old 04-21-2018, 07:26 PM
jkalin99
Freshman User
I have NO idea. Front axle came with just the rotors and caliper brackets. And oddly enough new stainless brake lines yet no calipers. ??? Any way to find out which calipers it originally had?

Old 04-21-2018, 07:33 PM
Filthy Beast
Postmaster
Pictures...post up some pictures of the brake(s) and hubs....let's take it from there.

1976....HiBoy? How many leaf springs (front and back) and how wide are the respective leafs.

Old 04-21-2018, 07:44 PM
jkalin99
Freshman User
Don't know if it was a high boy or not. Coils up front. 5 3 inch springs in the rear, although it has a lift kit so that might not be very helpful. Here's what I got

Old 04-21-2018, 07:46 PM
jkalin99
Freshman User

3204157 -L(?)

1/21/75

Not the stainless lines I was talking about

Old 04-21-2018, 07:54 PM
jkalin99
Freshman User
Also the bracket, measuring from the outer most corner to the outmost corner (Outer most meaning on the circle, innermost corners if going by the gap itself), the gap is 5 and 3/4 inches.

Old 04-21-2018, 07:56 PM
Filthy Beast
Postmaster
Sure as shootin' it looks like you have the dual piston calipers...and you need the whole shootin' match. I seem to recall I got calipers from a parts store - quite a while back. I think they're still available. They're the same size as the D60.

Let me post up a picture of the D44 and D60 brackets.....I'll get the distance between the bracket seats in a few.....

Old 04-21-2018, 08:00 PM
jkalin99
Freshman User
Yeah you ain't kidding about needing the whole shooting match. Grabbed rotors today, they're sitting on the table right next to me. Hopefully after this, next time I hit up the parts store I'll what the heck I'm actually looking for...

Old 04-21-2018, 08:07 PM
Filthy Beast
Postmaster
I'm not sure from where you took your measurements, sorry. On mine, measuring from caliper lip to caliper lip - the outer most caliper seat - is 10 3/8."

I can get a better picture (with a tape/rule) if need be. Your brackets appear to be smaller than mine...mebbe it's because mine are nekked and yours are in operation? Mebbe you do have the single piston caliper 'cause you don't have a HiBoy.....

You have a F150?

Old 04-21-2018, 08:11 PM
jkalin99
Freshman User
I was told it was an f100 but I'm not sure. The guy I bought it from seemed slightly... Uninformed. I measured from the uppermost lip, the narrowest point in the seat. I would post a picture but in a matter of two minutes the sun just set and now it's too dark to go back out and look at it. Would losing a single piston cause 5 inches less width? Must be pretty big pistons then.

Old 04-21-2018, 08:13 PM
Filthy Beast
Postmaster
Originally Posted by jkalin99 View Post
I was told it was an f100 but I'm not sure. The guy I bought it from seemed slightly... Uninformed. I measured from the uppermost lip, the narrowest point in the seat. I would post a picture but in a matter of two minutes the sun just set and now it's too dark to go back out and look at it. Would losing a single piston cause 5 inches less width? Must be pretty big pistons then.
Bigger pistons? Yessuh, the outside diameter is bigger by almost an inch, if I recall correctly...

Old 04-21-2018, 08:15 PM
jkalin99
Freshman User
SO it's reasonable to assume it had the single steel piston calipers yeah? Or I was considering heading to a local junkyard and finding one just for a test fit to confirm my suspicions.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.