6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Donaldson Muffler Review

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 02:32 PM
Deuce40s
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Donaldson Muffler Review

When I deleted I installed the race pipe because I didn't know how loud it would be. Noise/annoyances are subjective and turned out to be a lot louder than I could take. For those of us that like a quiet ride but want to be deleted, there are several choices for mufflers. A lot of people recommend the Donaldson M085171 which is a 4" I/O, 40" overall length muffler. The reviews say it is a lot quieter, about like stock. I couldn't find anything quantitative so I ran some numbers myself. I had spare time today.

I bought the muffler from Ryderfleetproducts.com. I ordered Monday, it was delivered Wednesday and I installed today, Friday. I paid $90 for the muffler and $8 shipping, no tax. Not a bad deal in my opinion. I also needed exhaust clamps so I bought 2 4" formed exhaust clamps for slip on mufflers at a cost of $13 a piece locally. I probably overpaid but it's a local trucking supply company so I don't mind. Advance Auto, Autozone, nor my local muffler company carried 4" clamps.

Total time to install was 1 hr but I took my time. The muffler body is 35" not including the flanges on either side which make it 40". I cut a 37" hole to wedge the 40" muffler between and it worked perfectly.

Name:  NRAJ6lch.jpg
Views: 875
Size:  141.3 KB

I thought to myself for a few days how to best determine the effectiveness of the muffler. I downloaded a few decibel reading apps on my phone to check their accuracy. Some were 10 decibels apart from each other. This means I have no idea how accurate the numbers are. The only number that counts is the difference from before to after. I decided to use an app called Sound Meter because it had nice charts and a maximum reading, which will come in handy later (I thought).

My results:

Name:  BXZxgiI.png
Views: 767
Size:  26.1 KB

To point out the obvious, there was a substantial decrease in decibels across the board. While driving, the wind played a large factor in the decibel readings within the truck (obviously). The decibels while parked are drastically reduced compared to the decibels while driving.

You'll notice there is no "measurable" decrease in decibels while stationary from 1,000 to 2,000 RPMs. I should explain how I got these numbers. The app displays the maximum decibels reached per period. To get a reading at 2k RPMS, I had to pass 1.5k RPMS. If the 1.5k RPMS were louder than the 2k RPMS, I wouldn't be able to tell by myself with the equipment I have. I might be able to convince myself the true outside readings mimic the inside readings at the various RPMS. The lack of change could also be real, and it's the whistle of the turbo that's staying constant. I don't know for certain.

You'll also notice at 60 mph with the race pipe, there was a substantial drone, more than at any other speed. I travel this speed often, as I'm sure most people do. Fortunately this was the biggest area of improvement over the race pipe. Overall I can agree with other assessments, this muffler sounds just like stock from within the cab. All that is heard is the engine and wind.

Old 04-20-2018, 03:30 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,193 Likes on 573 Posts
Great write up! Is the model you went with stainless?

Old 04-20-2018, 03:41 PM
Deuce40s
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
Great write up! Is the model you went with stainless?
Thanks. I doubt it's stainless, the website doesn't say. The best I could hope for is aluminized steel. They do carry some stainless mufflers, but they're closer to $500.

Old 04-20-2018, 03:45 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,193 Likes on 573 Posts
Wow, that would be a big jump in price...

Old 05-30-2019, 06:25 AM
Deuce40s
Posting Guru
I recorded this video a while back, I thought it might be useful to add here:

Old 05-30-2019, 09:47 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Received 6,367 Likes on 4,626 Posts
Great video, Deuce. I don't think I've seen it before. I see you kept on the stock tailpipe on I believe. So it has the resonator and muffler to reduce the sound. Sounds great IMHO. Briefly what tuning you run? Thanks.

Old 05-30-2019, 10:20 AM
Deuce40s
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Overkill2
Great video, Deuce. I don't think I've seen it before. I see you kept on the stock tailpipe on I believe. So it has the resonator and muffler to reduce the sound. Sounds great IMHO. Briefly what tuning you run? Thanks.
Thanks. I'm running the standard PPEI 0-200hp SOTF tune.

Old 05-30-2019, 11:17 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Originally Posted by Deuce40s
What tune you normally run for daily driving?

Old 05-30-2019, 01:19 PM
Deuce40s
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Overkill2
What tune you normally run for daily driving?
I leave it on level 1 almost exclusively.

Old 05-30-2019, 01:51 PM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

I leave it on level 1 almost exclusively.
Okay thank you.

Old 05-30-2019, 06:15 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
What version are you using? I'm on 0 HP v.2.3 with TCM low line pressure. I'm still not thrilled about the shifts but the custom LLP was much improved over their general release.

However, my 6R140 has had problems since new but the shift issues I had stock for 100,000 miles are just exaggerated now with either low throttle or heavy throttle. I guess if Ford couldn't fix it and aftermarket has similar issues, it is likely just my transmission at this point (with replaced solenoids). I suspect the first 32,000 miles of bad OEM solenoids and OEM programming took it's toll after a lot of high RPM slams into 3rd.

Old 05-30-2019, 06:22 PM
Bohen
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I recorded this video a while back, I thought it might be useful to add here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SfvAuBtXqY
So forgive me if I were to record the something on YouTube how do I post it?

Old 05-30-2019, 06:44 PM
dirthawg
Posting Guru
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Bohen
So forgive me if I were to record the something on YouTube how do I post it?
Once uploaded click the share button below the video or copy the URL and paste it into a reply here. The forum will do the rest.

Old 05-30-2019, 07:02 PM
Bohen
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dirthawg
Once uploaded click the share button below the video or copy the URL and paste it into a reply here. The forum will do the rest.
Thank you I was trying to figure this out and my Youngest son and his friend it was like no problem for them to show me I am getting old

Old 05-30-2019, 07:03 PM
Deuce40s
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by kper05
What version are you using? I'm on 0 HP v.2.3 with TCM low line pressure. I'm still not thrilled about the shifts but the custom LLP was much improved over their general release.
I'll check which version and get back with you. From my research, every trans learns these tunes differently. Mine hasn't adjusted well to some of the tune files. I've been able to email the PPEI tuner to get trans specific tunes that clear everything up. Right now it shifts just like it did stock, which is what I want. You may want to check with them and get a different trans tune.

Quick Reply: Donaldson Muffler Review