6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Disappearing Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 09:08 AM
Vet3138
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disappearing Coolant

Just bought a '13 F250 with 6.7. I knew it was low on coolant when I bought it and against my better judgment rolled the dice and bought it anyway. I had it checked out at a diesel shop before buying and they said the truck was perfect just a little low on coolant which could of course be a small deal or a big deal. Kind of left me hanging on what to do. They did say it held pressure.

I had the truck topped off at local dealer after getting it home, took about 1-1.5 gallons. By the time I got home(10 miles hwy driving) it was gone. If I look down in reservoir you can see it right there in neck and it never goes any lower. Engine temp., trans temp all normal and it runs great, no white smoke, no leaking on driveway, nothing on bell housing. It almost looks like there's some coolant pooling on edges of air cleaner box because it was like a greenish orange jelly consistency and there's a cut out in shroud on drivers side looks like its a little moist like something came out of there. Got an appointment at local diesel shop with excellent reputation but that is 2 weeks away.

Been reading forums endlessly and nothing seems to match my exact situation, I'm stumped. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:27 AM
The Bone
Cargo Master
Received 228 Likes on 164 Posts
Why are you not taking it to the dealer where you bought the truck. Much easier to get a appointment there. They may even pay for the repair.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:39 AM
Vet3138
Freshman User
Secondary dealer, sold as is. They offered to let me trade it back on something else. I’ve got some other options just looking for some mechanical advice I like the truck would like to keep it. Hoping someone had dealt with something similar.

Old 04-19-2018, 12:40 PM
smoky_diesel
Cargo Master
Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts
Perhaps it was lower than the 1.5 gallons you put in, and an air bubble was elsewhere in the system.
I would top off with correct type (orange) and drive again. See if it keeps consuming coolant and how much. Good luck.

Old 04-19-2018, 05:13 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Have someone pressure test the cooling system. If there is a leak it will show.

Old 04-19-2018, 05:22 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Have someone pressure test the cooling system. If there is a leak it will show.

Old 04-19-2018, 06:51 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
replace the cap in case that is an issue, they are in expensive and I would think there is air in the system from fresh coolant, perhaps a flush done in correctly.

As others have said, ensure it is the correct kind of coolant. That all changed from previous for specs several years ago, but people still want to use the gold coolant.

Old 04-19-2018, 06:56 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
replace the cap in case that is an issue, they are in expensive and I would think there is air in the system from fresh coolant, perhaps a flush done in correctly.

As others have said, ensure it is the correct kind of coolant. That all changed from previous for specs several years ago, but people still want to use the gold coolant.
And back in the 6.0 days people wanted to use everything else but the gold coolant. People have to quit trying to reinvent the wheel and listen to the manufacturer.

Old 04-26-2018, 02:09 PM
Milleraj30
Freshman User
I had a similar issue on my truck after I bought a used 2012 F350, following a crash that totaled my 2016 KR F350. I kept asking the dealer to check the EGR. Finally they did and realized it was flowing into the EGR and evaporating.

Old 04-26-2018, 03:21 PM
Vet3138
Freshman User
Thanks for all the replies, been having a crazy week so kind of forgot about my own thread. Topped it off twice with the Ford orange and distilled water and same thing both times, gone by the time I was home. I wondered about the caps being defective but doesn't seem to be a major 6.7 issue. Don't think that moisture I was seeing on air cleaner has anything to do with it probably just went crazy with detail cleaner at dealer. I've had it at local shop for a week, they've maybe looked at it twice, and have been extremely clueless, not sure they could find their rears with both hands. I watched a video on powerstrokehelp.com, Bill Hewitt agrees with you Milleraj30, says its the egr cooler. He says replace cooler and if still leaking probably a cracked head.

Planning to pick it up from shop tonight and get it taken off this weekend. Hopefully that's all there is to it. I'll update after new cooler is in. Looks like my vacuum oil lift pump cover is leaking a little oil too, not sure that will be as easy a job as cooler replacement.

I will definitely go back with Ford coolant, then send off after running it a little to see if it needs additive or any signs of other problems. Do I have to use distilled water or can I use ro/di water? I have a 4 stage ro/di unit that produces 0 tds water so I can quickly make up my own water in large quantities.

Old 04-27-2018, 06:04 PM
Cool Ron
Freshman User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Milleraj30
I had a similar issue on my truck after I bought a used 2012 F350, following a crash that totaled my 2016 KR F350. I kept asking the dealer to check the EGR. Finally they did and realized it was flowing into the EGR and evaporating.
Was the EGR replaced?

Old 04-27-2018, 07:49 PM
Milleraj30
Freshman User
Yes mine was. Never had another coolant issue. I guess I should have just deleted it instead since that’s what I’m going to do anyhow. 😂

Old 04-28-2018, 04:53 AM
Cool Ron
Freshman User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Understood. I’m plan on doing the delete soon myself.

Old 04-28-2018, 10:11 AM
Vet3138
Freshman User
I'm starting to question my choice to replace cooler. Going to start tearing down when I get off work today and very concerned about bolts breaking on exhaust manifold tube. If that has to be removed for cooler replacement seems like I might as well delete. Just trying to do the environmentally responsible thing here. I also plan to do a natural gas conversion in the future in which case I imagine the egr needs to be deleted as the natural gas will probably increase egt's and the egr cooler already does that so could make things too hot. May just end up taking the cooler back if I get everything off and ordering a delete kit.

Does anybody have any recommendations on getting that exhaust tube off without breaking bolts? Should I try to use an impact hammer hoping vibrations will break rust up or just spray and 1/4 turn spray and 1/4 turn etc. If that thing breaks off I have no idea how to get it out, I assume it has to be drilled and then have a helicoil type deal put in because threads are toast? Will probably be calling a friend if that happens.

Old 04-28-2018, 11:34 AM
Vet3138
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Vet3138
Does anybody have any recommendations on getting that exhaust tube off without breaking bolts?
Never mind, bunches of threads on this.

Quick Reply: Disappearing Coolant