Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

CDR

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 08:46 AM
My 90 Oil Burner
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CDR

Are these able to be cleaned or should be replaced? Any leads on best place to purchase if I need to replace it?

Old 04-17-2018, 09:57 AM
Charmalu
Fleet Mechanic

Received 200 Likes on 170 Posts
A lot have been written up about the CDR Valve. Here is a thread with a couple links with good reading.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...cdr-valve.html

I just replaced mine about 4 days ago on the 86, I think it was the original by looking at the gunk piled on it from the past
32 years. I pulled it out of the valley pan and there is a Grommet in the pan. It was as hard as a piece of plastic.
I bought mine off E-bay for $77, and came with an upgraded rubber tube and a rubber seal. Looks like a better
design or up grade from what I removed.
It may only be a dealer item by looking at the sellers on E-Bay. Mine was in a Ford box.

Most time consuming part is cleaning around the hole so nothing drops into the hole. Years of oil dirt sand etc...
accumulated in the valley. Then the Grommet wanted to break off in pieces....GRRR. I used paper towels soaked
in (my favorite solvent) to soak and wipe away from the hole the grime. Couple pieces fell in and a pair of Needle
nose Plires picked them out.
New one goes right together, 2, 1/2 inch bolts and you are done.

Back in 81 I bought a new Datsun Diesel PU (still have it), It had a RDT (road draft tube). Came from the factory with it.
A few years ago I bought a 83 Nissan Diesel PU. (this when they had the name change, 82/83). The 83 engine has
this tuna can thing on it, (my first introduction to the a CDR) Removed it and it was full of oil. So washed it out, but think
I used Carb spray cleaner to blow it out.../anyhoo... the damed diaphragm turned to mush and I was picking it out with
needle nose plires.
So if you wash it out, be carful how you do it...My 2 cents worth.

Charlie

Old 04-17-2018, 10:03 AM
Olds64
Cargo Master
Received 326 Likes on 281 Posts
Originally Posted by Charmalu
Removed it and it was full of oil. So washed it out, but think
I used Carb spray cleaner to blow it out.../anyhoo... the damed diaphragm turned to mush and I was picking it out with
needle nose plires.
So if you wash it out, be carful how you do it...My 2 cents worth.
Do you think it was the carburetor cleaner that damaged the diaphragm? If so, what type of cleaner do you recommend to clean the CDR? I suppose Simple Green is a pretty neutral cleaner for plastic and rubber...

Old 04-17-2018, 10:41 AM
My 90 Oil Burner
New User
Yeah I think I will get a new one. Its just one more part to add to my ever growing list. Glad I have time to do this build.

Old 04-18-2018, 12:47 AM
Charmalu
Fleet Mechanic

Originally Posted by Olds64
Do you think it was the carburetor cleaner that damaged the diaphragm? If so, what type of cleaner do you recommend to clean the CDR? I suppose Simple Green is a pretty neutral cleaner for plastic and rubber...
Yeah I think the Carb Cleaner is what damaged the diaphragm. Like I said above, I had no idea what this thing was.
It is mounted the back of the Valve with a couple (dealer only) pre formed hoses that connect to the intake.
Simple green might work never used it. The $ store has a product called "Totally Awesome" a great cleaning product.
Comes in qts and smaller bottles with a sprayer. I buy the qts and screw on a sprayer. Spray it on my tires when iam
scrubbing them to get off the dirt and grim with a brush., inside of the rims to cut through the brake dust.
Once you have a clean engine and you start getting oil seepage, spray in on and hose it off, comes out clean.

On the Ford, I just replaced it with a new one and done with it. And it is clean. ;>))

Charlie

Old 04-18-2018, 01:41 AM
genscripter
Cargo Master
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by My 90 Oil Burner
Yeah I think I will get a new one. Its just one more part to add to my ever growing list. Glad I have time to do this build.

I think the cheapest place I found them was on Amazon.
Amazon Amazon

If you have to go to the stealership (like I did a few years ago), it'll cost you about $90.

Old 04-18-2018, 11:07 AM
Charmalu
Fleet Mechanic

Originally Posted by genscripter
I think the cheapest place I found them was on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Ford-BHBAZUKAZIND4421-E3TZ-6A665-A-ADAPTOR/dp/B000O0Q6TK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1524033499&sr=8-1&keywords=IDI+CDR

If you have to go to the stealership (like I did a few years ago), it'll cost you about $90.
That listing is only for the Tuna Can. You will still need the Rubber Tube and Grommet.

Amazon Amazon

Like I mentioned above, got mine for $77 off E-bay as a whole assembly.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-6-9-7-...VWuutK&vxp=mtr

Charlie

Old 04-18-2018, 03:32 PM
genscripter
Cargo Master
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Charmalu
That listing is only for the Tuna Can. You will still need the Rubber Tube and Grommet.

https://www.amazon.com/Ford-Cranksha...89SSFVFPPEQEZ8

Like I mentioned above, got mine for $77 off E-bay as a whole assembly.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-6-9-7-...VWuutK&vxp=mtr

Charlie

My bad. My CDR is mounted on an aftermarket Hypermax intake assembly, so it has different parts that I forget about.

Old 04-18-2018, 09:20 PM
Charmalu
Fleet Mechanic

Originally Posted by genscripter
My bad. My CDR is mounted on an aftermarket Hypermax intake assembly, so it has different parts that I forget about.
I forget some of you have Vans, and some have Turbos. So Imaybe they would be a different set up?
Mine in a 6.9 Na....... Naturally Exasperated. LOL

Charlie

Old 04-19-2018, 08:07 AM
Olds64
Cargo Master
I was wondering if the CDR was different between the NA and turbo IDIs. Of course, my 6.9l has the CDR at the back of the intaake manifold. It's covered in dirt and grime and probably needs to be cleaned if not replaced.

The 7.3l turbo IDI I bought doesns't have a CDR on it (it's missing). I found out that the CDR is mounted in the intake plenum, before the top hat of the turbo. I was wondering if I could use the CDR off of my 6.9l, I guess the answer is no...

Old 04-19-2018, 09:21 AM
My 90 Oil Burner
New User
Parts list keeps growing as bank account keeps dipping hahaha.

Old 04-19-2018, 12:12 PM
Charmalu
Fleet Mechanic

Originally Posted by Olds64
I was wondering if the CDR was different between the NA and turbo IDIs. Of course, my 6.9l has the CDR at the back of the intaake manifold. It's covered in dirt and grime and probably needs to be cleaned if not replaced.

The 7.3l turbo IDI I bought doesns't have a CDR on it (it's missing). I found out that the CDR is mounted in the intake plenum, before the top hat of the turbo. I was wondering if I could use the CDR off of my 6.9l, I guess the answer is no...
My thinking is, the CDR`s are the same between NA and Turbo engines. It is the Hose/Grommet connections that MAY be different.

Charlie

Old 04-19-2018, 12:32 PM
Olds64
Cargo Master
I know the CDR with the Banks turbo is mounted on the intake plenum before the top hat. There's a 3' long hose that leads from the CDR to a bib on the oil fill tube at the front of the engine. My 7.3l came with the bib on the oil fill tube and the hose, but no CDR. I also don't have any of the intake plenum pieces. Oh well... I'll get it installed. Now I have to convince mama to let me buy more toys.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:07 PM
DarkOverCast
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
From what I've noticed is 6.9's have a cdr and the grommet tube is metal, 7.3's have the rubber piece with the plastic nipple, for the van intake (on a banks anyways) you just pull the grommet off and go straight to the cdr with a hose, my first gen banks kit also just connects with a hose and no grommet piece (like what genscripters talking about)

Which reminds me I need a new cdr too