Lance 825 and Battery Charging Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 05:52 PM
Ziggy81
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lance 825 and Battery Charging Help

Looking for some help with the my new 2018 Lance 825 and 2016 F250 6.7. The truck doesn't seem to be charging the camper battery. I ran the battery almost empty this past weekend where my atwood Jacks wouldn't even operate so I turned on the truck, let it run for a while and still didn't have the power to operate the jacks, so I manually jacked them. I then drove home for 3 hrs and checked the battery, still barely had a charge.
I have the lance plug installed and tied into the tow harness on the truck, and verified today that all fuses and relays are good. Note that I was also pulling a car trailer if that matters.
Any ideas?

Old 04-16-2018, 08:43 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,693 Likes on 2,750 Posts
At least on the 2017+ you have to connect the harness, start the engine and then press the brake to get the charging circuit engaged. If the truck doesn't detect something there then the charging may not happen.

If your battery is severely discharged it could take a looong time to charge. A dedicated A/C charger is probably your best bet.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:00 PM
Ziggy81
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not sure if the brake pedal thing applies to 2016...

Old 04-17-2018, 06:55 PM
Seabiscuit-P3
Hotshot
Received 3,992 Likes on 1,229 Posts
I'm presuming that you you've checked the plug to make sure there is power on that pin?

My pickup and our 1997 Lance 880 Legends are antiques compared to what you have, but...
  1. there was a fuse in the box under the hood that was blown, preventing the camper battery from charging.
  2. There were two fuse boxes inside the camper...
  3. The only other problem we ever had was if I left the refer on 12 volt, apparently the 12 volt supply of power from the pickup couldn't keep up with it. Starting out with a full battery in the camper, after a 250 mile trip the battery was only about 1/2 charged. Turn the refer off, and there was no apparent drain on the battery.
I have essentially the same problem with our current 2005 Alpenlite Limited Santa Fe 1150 1 year old to us & came with a 1 year warranty.
It uses the exact same "Lance" plug set up. Pickup charging system has been double checked and is just fine. We did have a problem with the Converter/Inverter in the camper and it was replaced by the dealership and I still didn't notice any difference. The dealership adjusted something on the refer so we'll see what goes on now. Haven't made a trip or tried it out since the refer adjustment.

I carry a jumper pack with us. I can hook it up to the camper batteries and use it for the jacks, which I've never had to do, or use it to provide power to start the generator which I have had to do.

Old 05-01-2018, 12:01 PM
Baku
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, I've got a Lance 825 on a 2015 6.2 F-250; I once had the same issue and found 2 blown fuses on the inverter unit located under the step up to the bed. The fuses were on the outside of the inverter but integrated into the unit. Hope that helps.

Rob

Old 05-01-2018, 12:14 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by Seabiscuit-P3
I'm presuming that you you've checked the plug to make sure there is power on that pin?

My pickup and our 1997 Lance 880 Legends are antiques compared to what you have, but...
  1. there was a fuse in the box under the hood that was blown, preventing the camper battery from charging.
  2. There were two fuse boxes inside the camper...
  3. The only other problem we ever had was if I left the refer on 12 volt, apparently the 12 volt supply of power from the pickup couldn't keep up with it. Starting out with a full battery in the camper, after a 250 mile trip the battery was only about 1/2 charged. Turn the refer off, and there was no apparent drain on the battery.
I have essentially the same problem with our current 2005 Alpenlite Limited Santa Fe 1150 1 year old to us & came with a 1 year warranty.
It uses the exact same "Lance" plug set up. Pickup charging system has been double checked and is just fine. We did have a problem with the Converter/Inverter in the camper and it was replaced by the dealership and I still didn't notice any difference. The dealership adjusted something on the refer so we'll see what goes on now. Haven't made a trip or tried it out since the refer adjustment.

I carry a jumper pack with us. I can hook it up to the camper batteries and use it for the jacks, which I've never had to do, or use it to provide power to start the generator which I have had to do.

You're not trying to run the fridge on DC are you. That is about a 20 amp draw.

Old 05-01-2018, 01:33 PM
Seabiscuit-P3
Hotshot
Received 3,992 Likes on 1,229 Posts
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
You're not trying to run the fridge on DC are you. That is about a 20 amp draw.
I only tried it a couple of times. Lessons learned "by experience" during hauling campers from around 1980 to present. For years now we have gotten the refer chilled to near freezing then leaving it without power until we get to where we are going. All of the refers we have had have done a really good job of keeping things good and cold during an 8 to 10 hour driving day. Doesn't mean we don't give it try on 12 volt with each of the campers we have had, just to check to see if 'newer' is better.....