2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

*HOW TO* Installing Factory Door Keypad on 2017+ Super Duty

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 05:26 AM
NorEasterMA
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This worked awesome! Did this on a friends new 18 F450. He had his body guy (runs a repair shop) physically install the keypad and I did the FORScan work. His truck doesn't have Sync 3, just the basic small radio screen. The APIM line change did not add the ability to change the code, is there a change that allows the ability to change the code on a non touchscreen System? Otherwise he will just have to learn the OEM door code! Thanks!!

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-02-2018, 07:03 AM
h20camper
Logistics Pro
Received 273 Likes on 188 Posts
You can't change the OEM code but you can add up to five additional codes. From the owner's manual.

Old 07-02-2018, 07:08 AM
jonathanjr1
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You can also get the key code by using both keys. You use the first key to turn on the truck but dont start wait about 4 seconds, then repeat the same thing with the other key. The code will display ont cluster.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:08 AM
Truckie256
Laughing Gas
Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Tag for future use

Old 07-02-2018, 08:18 AM
NorEasterMA
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by h20camper
You can't change the OEM code but you can add up to five additional codes. From the owner's manual.

Duh, can't believe I forgot about this method. I've been so spoiled by the ability to program additional codes in Sync3 I totally forgot about programming them on the keypad. All set now, thank you!

Old 01-01-2019, 11:19 AM
dnewton3
Elder User
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
What happened to the pictures? I am trying to ID the connector inside the door, and I thought i recalled seeing a pix of the connector. I took my door panels off, and I have a connector that is dead-ended that sits about mid-door, behind the glass, on a horizontal support rail. The connector seems to have a plug cover on it (makes sense as it's not used currently). It has 5 small wires; black, brown, blue, purple, green (hard to tell with poor lighting and behind the glass). Is that the keypad connector lead?

Do you have to temporarily raise the glass to connect the leads together? Then lower it back down to put everything back upon reassembly I presume?

Old 01-01-2019, 06:48 PM
TCNashville
Laughing Gas
Received 170 Likes on 138 Posts
X2 on the pics as I'm interested in doing something like this on my STX. Really miss that keypad [I had one on my '12 SD].

Old 01-01-2019, 07:03 PM
h20camper
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by dnewton3
What happened to the pictures? I am trying to ID the connector inside the door, and I thought i recalled seeing a pix of the connector. I took my door panels off, and I have a connector that is dead-ended that sits about mid-door, behind the glass, on a horizontal support rail. The connector seems to have a plug cover on it (makes sense as it's not used currently). It has 5 small wires; black, brown, blue, purple, green (hard to tell with poor lighting and behind the glass). Is that the keypad connector lead?

Do you have to temporarily raise the glass to connect the leads together? Then lower it back down to put everything back upon reassembly I presume?
Yes, that sounds like the right connector. See posts #11 and #14 and the attached pdfs in the post of this thread.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ode-on-xl.html

Old 01-02-2019, 07:32 AM
dnewton3
Elder User
Originally Posted by h20camper

Yes, that sounds like the right connector. See posts #11 and #14 and the attached pdfs in the post of this thread.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ode-on-xl.html
OK - thank you!
That looks very similar to what I have. I found that harness terminated right about that same spot. I guess I didn't realize how long the pig-tail on the keypad must be to reach all the way down there; it must be 20" or so?
Because I have the factory power equipment group, I do have power windows and power door locks, and so that harness plug is present, but unused (for now) inside the door panel.

Quick sidebar question about ForScan connectivity; I see from other threads that most folks mention using the BlueTooth MX connector, but it's like $80. There are some corded OBD connectors capable of doing MS-CAN that are only $30. I presume a corded version will work just as well? I don't need both, right?

Old 01-02-2019, 02:12 PM
h20camper
Logistics Pro
Correct, you shouldn't need both but the ODBLink MX adapter has proven reliable and doesn't need to the toggle switched between MS and HS buses. If you can afford to bite the bullet for $80, I'd suggest you do. Plus then you can Bluetooth your phone to their app for gauges.

Amazon Amazon

Old 01-02-2019, 07:17 PM
dnewton3
Elder User
Ok now my ignorance is shining like the bright mid-day sun in Death Valley ...
What's the purpose of switching between MS and HS? Is that something I have to do during the programming sequences? Or does it get set once and then left alone?
Uggggghhhhh .... my kingdom for a simple process!

Old 01-02-2019, 07:55 PM
h20camper
Logistics Pro
Some of the 'cheaper' adapters have a toggle switch to switch between the MS and HS bus. From a FORScan post.

Also, important note about adapters with mechanical HS/MS switch: in addition to the fact it is not very convenient to switch it manually, it may be not possible to perform some operations with this type of adapter. If some operation requires a simultaneous access to both HS and MS (so FORScan needs to access some module(s) on HS CAN bus and, at the same time, other modules on MS-CAN bus), it cannot be normally executed using adapters with mechanical switch. Example: reading parameters (PIDs) in virtual module All, Module initialization subfunction in service functions "Remote keyless entry and Start".

Old 01-02-2019, 08:05 PM
jonathanjr1
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dnewton3
Ok now my ignorance is shining like the bright mid-day sun in Death Valley ...
What's the purpose of switching between MS and HS? Is that something I have to do during the programming sequences? Or does it get set once and then left along?
Uggggghhhhh .... my kingdom for a simple process!
ms and hs are the speed of the can network. Ms is middle speed and hs is high speed. The hs can network is used to modules that need to communicate faster so think engine related. The ms is used for modules that don't need communicate as fast so think lighting and the radio.

Old 01-03-2019, 05:02 AM
dnewton3
Elder User
I have zero interest in using a cell phone app to track live data, etc. Hence, I really don't know that I need/want a BT OBD device.
All I want is to program stuff like the turn signal blinker count (SCCM module), steering wheel audio controls (SCCM module) and the door keypad enable (BCM module).
As far as I can tell, there's no "need" for me to get a BT unit, is there?

I've watched some YT videos and it seems like the corded units with switches do work, albeit not automatically. I noticed that the as long as you properly configure the ForScan tool to know that you have a switchable link, it will prompt you to switch that communication speed circuit depending upon module selected for alteration. Several times in this video example, the guy switches the comm port speed, when prompted by ForScan, because he set up the ForScan parameter to acknowledge a manually switched device.

In this vid, you can see how to set up the manually switched com port

I just don't want to spend $80 if I can spend $30 to get the same net result.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:31 AM
briangp
Tuned
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Not sure what happened to the pics, sorry guys. Should all be in my gallery though.

*EDIT* NVM. Idk wtf happened to the pics, I'll reupload them

Quick Reply: *HOW TO* Installing Factory Door Keypad on 2017+ Super Duty