2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Resolved??? - Brand New-rust and oxidation - Photo heavy

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 12:40 PM
davidpacificnw
Laughing Gas
Received 150 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by willynilly
theres something fishy. the amount of heavy rust and corrosion is unlike anything ive ever seen. even one of my 20yo trucks that drives through mud, snow, salt , gets washed only when it rains, doesnt have even a fraction of the corrosion rust the op truck has. its almost like they dragged it up from the titanic. the 300mi was from driving between dealers ?
If I had a guess, I'd say that the dealer salted their lot and plowed around this thing until the salty snow was packed up underneath it. I don't know, this is just silly. It looks like it was sitting in salt water. My bet is some dipstick either plowed around it forcing salt/snow mixture up underneath it, or someone parked it in a salted snow bank or whatever. In my opinion, this is not air based corrosion. This is definitely corrosion based on full contact with a corrosive material. Not something Ford corporate is going to cover.

Old 04-14-2018, 12:44 PM
wicked 2018
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
While not a Ford Corporate issue per se - they don't want idiot dealers either representing their brand. It does not hurt to get them involved NOW.

Bought a new car a few years ago and asked the dealer not to drill the front bumper for license plate holder.

I arrive to pick up and low an behold they installed the license plate holder. Then removing it you can see they put it on with 8 wood screws (total hack job). Dealer said they would "fix it" and to accept the car (my mistake here).

Well after weeks of calling and them giving me the run around I went to corporate. They got on the dealer and helped me get the issues resolved within days. End of the day the entire front bumper cover got replaced on the dealer dime.

Call Corporate - they WILL help.

Old 04-14-2018, 12:45 PM
willynilly
Fleet Mechanic
Received 347 Likes on 213 Posts
ya it may have sat in a salt snow bank for a while. seems plausible to me. some areas appear to have far more than just surface rust.

Old 04-14-2018, 12:49 PM
davidpacificnw
Laughing Gas
Received 150 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by wicked 2018
While not a Ford Corporate issue. It does not hurt to get them involved. Bought a new car a few years ago and asked the dealer not to drill the front bumper for license plate holder.

I arrive to pick up and low an behold they installed the license plate holder. Then removing it you can see they put it on with 6 wood screws. Dealer said they would "fix it" and to accept the car (my mistake here).

Well after weeks of calling and them giving me the run around I went to corporate. They got on the dealer and helped me get the issues resolved. End of the day the entire front bumper cover got replaced on the dealer dime.

Call Corporate - they WILL help.
totally agree. I looked at a new model run vehicle that went through the a west coast pass in the winter time and came out the other side with rock panel covers that were stripped down to the primer. Dealer figured it was due to the abrasive sand on the road. come to find out, it was a new paint binder the OEM was using on the new model year. So, you never know. Wicked is right, contact customer assistance center too.

Old 04-14-2018, 12:57 PM
BronzefireAL13SD
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have 3 days. Better get moving or deal with it.....

Old 04-14-2018, 01:03 PM
wb6anp
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
is it an early '17? if it is and is new. Is it possibly a dealer trade or transfer from Texas or another hurricane flooded state?

Old 04-14-2018, 02:11 PM
eryoung
Tuned
Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts
Please let us know how you make out. I really hope they make it right for you!!!!!!!

Old 04-14-2018, 02:34 PM
Yoteman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you have a bank put a hold on the funds?

Old 04-14-2018, 02:39 PM
wildcard30
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Alaskan_Warbird
Agreed. This appears to be a dealership issue. *edit* I felt like a fool when I got on my back at the dealership and crawled around underneath my rig before I bought it. The sales guys and other people were gawking at me but hey... I wanted to verify the upgraded front end with the camper package was there and I wanted to see what the overloads on the rear looked like, etc. I did that to a number of trucks before buying this one and none of them looked like that underneath.
I picked mine up after sunset and had no issue diving under the truck with a flashlight. I got some strange looks from the sales staff, but the sales manager told them what I was doing.

Folks don't bother to check the running gear with all the excitement of a new purchase. But there is no way a truck should look like the OP’s. The dealer needs to step up and make it right. Obviously the dealer never looked under the truck when prepping it for delivery.

Old 04-14-2018, 03:16 PM
tibadoe
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My wife thought I was crazy when I crawled under my new F350 when it arrived on the dealer lot. Went through the entire truck from top to bottom -- I do it on any vehicle or machine I purchase. Don't forget the roof also - it could have dents, scratches, screwed up paint, etc.

Old 04-14-2018, 03:38 PM
tiger275
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

Just a quick update as the saga continues.
  • I documented the issue and made sure that the dealer at least acknowledged receipt of my notification.
  • I have spoken with the GM a couple times and at least the dialogue is moving forward.
  • I have not contacted Ford corporate yet to allow the dealer time to make it right
  • The clock keeps ticking
Good news...
  • We're all talking
Bad news...
  • the first response was that this is normal for any truck in the salt belt...and looks like lots of the trucks on our lot...I wouldn't know but sounds too easy
  • "All the parts that are rusting we're designed to do that. Ford builds them this way because surface rust becomes a protective coating" .. all I can say is .
  • Not sure we can take it back because now it will be a used vehicle. - i expected that one.
for those of you commenting that I have 72 hours... It seems that this does not apply to standard vehicle puchases unless explicitly stated in the paperwork and/or a local/state law. Certainly not a universal truth as many people believe.

Complicating factors include...
  • Has it already been titled? If so, effectively it is now used.
  • Has Ford already reimbursed the dealer and processed it as sold?
  • Can I get back my $2k PCO (obviously not my highest priority)
  • Bank has already processed payment to the dealer.
  • Just the round trip home and back to the dealer will result in over 600 miles added.

Old 04-14-2018, 03:50 PM
wb6anp
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well the are partly right, "surface" rust does protect the steel under it from rusting more, But imo that is not "surface" rust. watch for or look for any corrosion on the aluminum where the frame contacts, or bolts go through it.

Old 04-14-2018, 04:03 PM
T diesel
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yeah I’d be contacting Ford corporate.

Old 04-14-2018, 04:10 PM
blueglide
Senior User
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
OP is doing the right thing. Give the dealer a chance to correct the situation. It's a little early to start storming the castle with pitchforks and fire.

Old 04-14-2018, 04:14 PM
mlsjohn
Mountain Pass
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I would send pictures to ford customer service along with window sticker, purchase agreement and start a repurchase. No way to keep that truck, and contact the selling dealer and tell them you are not keeping that truck. good luck

Quick Reply: Resolved??? - Brand New-rust and oxidation - Photo heavy