Resolved??? - Brand New-rust and oxidation - Photo heavy - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 2017+ Super Duty
Reload this Page >

Resolved??? - Brand New-rust and oxidation - Photo heavy

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Old 04-13-2018, 11:31 PM
tiger275
Junior User
tiger275 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

Hey everybody. I was really looking forward to this post. I assumed it was going to be one of celebration and joy since I got a brand new F350 yesterday. But turns out I am afraid I might have messed up royally. I traveled 200 miles to pick up this truck but never thought to climb under it and really inspect it. Any ideas or suggestions on what I should do are welcome....since I am perplexed.

I was crawling around under my truck today getting familiar with some stuff and everything felt a little off. I went back and looked through dozens of threads and was shock to see how clean and new looking most peoples trucks were. Then I went back and looked under mine. HOLY GUACAMOLE. There was rust and oxidation everywhere. I have literally owned the truck for 24 hours and it looks worse then vehicles I have owned for years. It is a 12/2017 build so it just doesn't make sense to me. Am I over reacting or do I have a real issue and need to give this back ASAP? HELP!!!!

EDIT - 4/15/2018 - 2pm - Just to clarify a few points for anyone reading this at a later date...
  • This truck is brand new to me...less then 24 hours... It has a build date of 12/2017 but is a 2018 model. Sold as new...NOT used
  • It was ordered to Ann Arbor, MI...where it lived until March then was shipped back to Louisville and then driven from Louisville to Cinci when dealer traded. This is where the 380 original miles came from.
  • My investigation and the comments of others would initially indicate that this NOT a manufacturers defect (thus removed "Lemon" from the discussion thread title)
  • The dealer is working with me to make this right. - Kudos to them.
EDIT - 4/22/2018
See post #89 for a few more details, but essentially, the dealer took the truck back and we unwound the deal. I am certain that there were not happy to have to go through the steps and extra work, but they demonstrated exceptional dedication to customer satisfaction. As long as nothing comes back around to haunt me in the coming weeks, it appears that this situation has been resolved.

Last edited by tiger275; 04-15-2018 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Clarify a little
Old 04-14-2018, 12:09 AM
skanj0
Senior User
skanj0 is starting off with a positive reputation.
That does seem pretty heavy for a brand new truck. Based on the build date it has been sitting for a little while. You must be in the ‘salt belt’?

When I brought my new 16 home I spent a couple of hours beneath it with some cans of black spray paint. There are a lot of parts that are unpainted. Ford needs to do a better job.

Old 04-14-2018, 12:11 AM
OneCylinder
Senior User
OneCylinder is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.OneCylinder is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Did you buy it new? Judging from the aluminum components, it looks like that truck was in water. The drive shaft yoke has a lot of rust, it might damage that seal if it's not just surface rust. The muffler hangers normally are not painted but they and the shield look like they have seen alot of water. The steel components look like they weren't completely painted or maybe it is some sort of invoroment friendly paint that desolved if that truck sat in water for a while.

Just my opinion based on your photos.

Old 04-14-2018, 12:12 AM
Buliwyf
Posting Guru
Buliwyf is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Buliwyf is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Ocean or Salt belt?

My 17 has been through an entire winter and looks better than that. Except for my shocks that are toast. I see exhaust and cast iron parts, seems normal. But I'd expect better on anew truck. Does it have any miles?

I wish the axles were unpainted. The sooner they oxidize, the sooner we can POR15 them to keep them black forever. Monstaliner has a cheaper version ofPOR15 called chassis saver. Works great, but you can only apply it to rough oxidized surfaces. So I always have to wait.....and wait....and then pull the truck over the grass in the back yard, and paint away with a simple brush.

Old 04-14-2018, 12:38 AM
tiger275
Junior User
tiger275 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Buliwyf View Post
Ocean or Salt belt?
Actually neither one really. Certainly shouldn’t be ocean. I bought it in Indiana just across from Cincinnati, it was a dealer trade from Louisville supposedly. Although the the original window sticker looks like it was ordered to MI.

My 17 has been through an entire winter and looks better than that. Except for my shocks that are toast. I see exhaust and cast iron parts, seems normal. But I'd expect better on anew truck. Does it have any miles?.
yeah, I agree. I have a 2003 Excursion with less obvious rust. Especially on the bolt threads and parts where unpainted touched painted. The truck had 320 miles on it, mostly test drives and a few hundred from moving it from Louisville to Indiana.

i have never seen a vehicle that was in a flood, but is this what it might look like?

Old 04-14-2018, 12:40 AM
Buliwyf
Posting Guru
Buliwyf is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Buliwyf is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Nope, floods don't rust anything. I'd go with salted parking lot.

Old 04-14-2018, 02:05 AM
OneCylinder
Senior User
OneCylinder is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.OneCylinder is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Depends on the flood. Hurricane Harvey flood water swelled bayous that caused salt water damage.

Old 04-14-2018, 03:33 AM
Jack_Daniels
New User
Jack_Daniels is starting off with a positive reputation.
Holy [email protected]%... I would be LIVID if I were in your shoes!
Personally, I would be taking that back immediately. Not sure what the laws are on new vehicle sales in your neck of the woods, but I believe there is a "3 business days" return window [Buyers remorse or something of that nature].
Wish you the best of luck brotha!

Old 04-14-2018, 05:34 AM
98woody
Senior User
98woody is starting off with a positive reputation.
Holy crap, I thought it was used until I kept reading. Id be pissed! Cant just spray over that with spray paint or undercoating

Old 04-14-2018, 05:42 AM
MrFord619
Senior User
MrFord619 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I would've have refused delivery of that truck, something is not right. I live in RI where there's more salt on the road than snow and my truck looks a lot better than that. At the very least you should demand that the dealer have the truck undercoated.

Old 04-14-2018, 06:30 AM
2009kr
Posting Guru
2009kr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
For the non exhaust parts, a can of rusty-metal primer and flat black Rustoleum will take care of it. Some of us did that when the truck was new. It looks like it was driven on very salty roads and sat for a few months.

For those who didn't treat the truck and drove salty roads this winter, I would expect to see some rust, though yours seems excessive. It'll take many years for it to cause problems, and better care moving forward would certainly help.

Maybe some others who didn't treat for rust can take a few similar pictures after a salty winter for comparison. My spacers on my duals were quite rusty when my truck was new.

Old 04-14-2018, 06:43 AM
T diesel
Posting Guru
T diesel has a good reputation on FTE.T diesel has a good reputation on FTE.T diesel has a good reputation on FTE.
I'd return it TODAY.
Not normal.

Old 04-14-2018, 06:51 AM
tibadoe
Senior User
tibadoe is starting off with a positive reputation.
I would no be happy - I'd be returning that ASAP. Looks like it was driven in salt, brine, and/or other road chemicals and then not cleaned well (if at all) and parked.

Old 04-14-2018, 06:56 AM
whirledpeaz
Senior User
whirledpeaz is starting off with a positive reputation.
What 2009kr said ^^. How many miles were on it when you picked it up? Personally, I wouldn't be that worried about it unless it had been flooded and even then I'd be more concerned about water in the transmission and differentials. Looks like a lot of salt to me. I doubt you can get them to take it back unless they have a return window.

Old 04-14-2018, 07:26 AM
Snowman 8
Senior User
Snowman 8 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Looks like it got driven through road salt and chloride and then got parked in a heated and possible humid garage for a long time. I’ve seen that on cars and trucks that sit a lot up here in Minnesota. I wouldn’t worry about it because everything ends up looking like that eventually up here. A good cleaning would get rid if the oxidation and I wouldn’t worry about the rust. The only thing I would worry about is if it was in a flood, salt water would be the only thing that would cause rust and oxidation.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Resolved??? - Brand New-rust and oxidation - Photo heavy

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.