2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Resolved??? - Brand New-rust and oxidation - Photo heavy

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 07:36 AM
Larrymac52
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowman 8
Looks like it got driven through road salt and chloride and then got parked in a heated and possible humid garage for a long time. I’ve seen that on cars and trucks that sit a lot up here in Minnesota. I wouldn’t worry about it because everything ends up looking like that eventually up here. A good cleaning would get rid if the oxidation and I wouldn’t worry about the rust. The only thing I would worry about is if it was in a flood, salt water would be the only thing that would cause rust and oxidation.
return it. Let us know the dealer and his reaction.
its not just a lemon- it’s a rotten lemon

Old 04-14-2018, 07:43 AM
westcoastsd
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2017 lot queen I just got home had almost no corrosion under the truck and it was on the lot in rainy Oregon for just over a year with 17 miles on her. Something is not adding up on your truck.

Old 04-14-2018, 08:01 AM
Snowman 8
Elder User
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Not much salt or chloride in rainy Oregon... Go ahead and return it, if the dealer has a policy for that. If not good luck, Ford won’t buy it back because some dumb a&& didn’t wash his truck and traded it in on a new one.

Old 04-14-2018, 08:26 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 238 Likes on 185 Posts
Originally Posted by tiger275

Actually neither one really. Certainly shouldn’t be ocean. I bought it in Indiana just across from Cincinnati, it was a dealer trade from Louisville supposedly. Although the the original window sticker looks like it was ordered to MI.

yeah, I agree. I have a 2003 Excursion with less obvious rust. Especially on the bolt threads and parts where unpainted touched painted. The truck had 320 miles on it, mostly test drives and a few hundred from moving it from Louisville to Indiana.

i have never seen a vehicle that was in a flood, but is this what it might look like?
Since it was a trade from one dealer to another, who knows what kind of weather or road conditions it was driven through. Also with it originally being from MI as well as the build date you listed, again, who knows how long it was sitting on a lot during winter and perhaps it was parked with the bottom covered in snow, ice, salt, brine, and what ever else that was picked up from the road.

Old 04-14-2018, 08:32 AM
tiger275
Junior User
Originally Posted by Snowman 8
Not much salt or chloride in rainy Oregon... Go ahead and return it, if the dealer has a policy for that. If not good luck, Ford won’t buy it back because some dumb a&& didn’t wash his truck and traded it in on a new one.
Just to be clear. This is not a trade. This is a brand new truck with around 300 miles on it. I bought it "brand new" on Thursday. Shame on me for not climbing under it but this is not a case of someone trading it in.

Old 04-14-2018, 08:47 AM
Snowman 8
Elder User
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Sorry that I missed that. I still wouldn’t worry about it. Although I would drive it back to the selling deal and see what they have to say about it. It obviously got driven through wet salt covered roads and parked without washing, salt spray gets everywhere and if the vehicle sits the salt just sits and eats and eats and eats. It’s not really something a person wants to see on a new truck but it doesn’t make it a lemon. Ford won’t take the truck back for what they probably consider a maintenance or cleaning issue. Bring it back and see what the dealer says, maybe they can clean it up and offer you some money off or accessories for free. Or they will take it back if they have some sort of satisfaction policy?

Old 04-14-2018, 08:47 AM
VA13FX4
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That’s a lot! You will probably not be able to use the lemon law even if your state has one because most lemon law s apply to the functionality of a vehicle. Some do have clauses for body paint, but undercarriage rust that isn’t effecting functionality probably won’t qualify for lemon law.

You need to be back at the dealership you bought it from right now! Hopefully you’re not posting on the forum while driving!? You need to show them today. And talk to someone high up the chain. If the salesperson you talked to was nice grab them and ask them to get the sales manager. Let them look and see what they say.

Highly unlikely they they will take the truck back IMO, but they may be willing to have some sort of undercoating done.

Call customer service and let them know how displeased you are if the dealership won’t help you out.

Good luck!!!

Know that it does seem to be mostly cosmetic though so you should be able to still enjoy the truck without issue. But keep an eye on everything and take it back for every little issue that comes up. You might want to look into an extended warranty as well.

Old 04-14-2018, 08:50 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Sure seems excessive for a new truck. Surface rust yes, but that looks past just surface rust.

Old 04-14-2018, 08:52 AM
westcoastsd
Freshman User
Suggestion. Email the GM with the pictures and state your intent to return this vehicle. emphasise you wish to handle thisat the lowest level possible. In the contract the dealer surely did not disclose the "damage". Corrosion on the starter wires for starters. This will timestamp your problem and if he flatly refuses, you can start calling an attorney if needed. What I see is water and a corrosive element damage which will make owning and maintaining this truck a real headache. Documentation will be key if the dealer puts up a fight as any warranty work could be denied because (you) submerged the truck. GOOD LUCK.

Old 04-14-2018, 09:17 AM
tiger275
Junior User
Originally Posted by Jack_Daniels
Holy $!@%... I would be LIVID if I were in your shoes!
Personally, I would be taking that back immediately. Not sure what the laws are on new vehicle sales in your neck of the woods, but I believe there is a "3 business days" return window [Buyers remorse or something of that nature].
Wish you the best of luck brotha!
Obviously, I am no expert, but I am learning that this is a very infrequently available option. Because of the contract involved, financing, title work, etc. It really cone down to local laws and dealership practice.

Old 04-14-2018, 09:20 AM
tiger275
Junior User
Originally Posted by westcoastsd
Suggestion. Email the GM with the pictures and state your intent to return this vehicle. emphasise you wish to handle thisat the lowest level possible. In the contract the dealer surely did not disclose the "damage". Corrosion on the starter wires for starters. This will timestamp your problem and if he flatly refuses, you can start calling an attorney if needed. What I see is water and a corrosive element damage which will make owning and maintaining this truck a real headache. Documentation will be key if the dealer puts up a fight as any warranty work could be denied because (you) submerged the truck. GOOD LUCK.
Great advice. I did exactly as you suggested last night. I agree that it needs to be crystal clear that I got it this way. Let's see how they react.

I didn't notice the starter wires. It was late and dark when I figured this out. I will go over it much closer this am and make sure I have some clear records.

Old 04-14-2018, 09:21 AM
BronzefireAL13SD
Senior User
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...uying-used-car

Or have the dealer undercoat it if you decide to keep it.

Old 04-14-2018, 09:34 AM
tiger275
Junior User
Originally Posted by VA13FX4
You need to be back at the dealership you bought it from right now! Hopefully you’re not posting on the forum while driving!? You need to show them today.

Unfortunately, the dealership is 300 miles away so just popping over isn't an option. I have showed them via pictures and am waiting to hear back from the GM.

And. No. I am not driving and posting.. thanks for looking out for me

Know that it does seem to be mostly cosmetic though so you should be able to still enjoy the truck without issue. But keep an eye on everything and take it back for every little issue that comes up. You might want to look into an extended warranty as well.
i need to dig a little deeper, but I am not sure it is only cosmetic. If you look really close at the engine pics, you can see the rusting is all the way up to the top and covers the starter, alternator, wires, etc.

While I agree with your ideas, i really do not want a brand new truck that is already more work then my 1999 and 2003 trucks .Not what I expected from a 70-80k truck

Old 04-14-2018, 10:37 AM
VA13FX4
Elder User
Well if you’re not able to drive to the dealership today my next advice would be to have a drink! Or two. Cuz damn.

Old 04-14-2018, 10:44 AM
T diesel
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I could see that truck on a car carrier driving hundreds of miles through who knows what, then parked for who knows how long.
With the amount of electrical gremlins we've heard about, give it back!

Quick Reply: Resolved??? - Brand New-rust and oxidation - Photo heavy