2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Sync 3 Defaults to radio on startup

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 06:55 PM
RONMCHUGH
Romcjr

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by 1956Fatfenders
One other way I found to avoid the switching to FM, is with remote start. For whatever reason, that worked for me every time. Weird.
Same on mine !!

Old 06-12-2018, 04:19 PM
EXPE15
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Major annoyance on my 3600 road trip especially when it would come on to staticy AM.

Like many others I talked with Ford IVT and the SYNC3 vendor (4D) tech support and pretty much same conclusion. Bad design and programming on Fords part.

i do do a master reset and although I am not totally convinced this is a long term fix at least its a start.

Fairly plausible theory would be the older (2015 SYNC2 ) Audio Control Module (ACM) and the newer generation SYNC3 APIM.....as the saying goes......”Not playing well with each other”. The Ford programming may be as advertised but that doesn’t mean the programming logic wasn’t wrong to begin with. Sad that with all the other benefits of the SYNC3 this pretty major nuisance can’t or won’t be fixed until next software update.....assuming it will be corrected then.

There needs to be complaints filed to Ford Corporate to put pressure on IVT engineers/programmers and fix this immediately. At latest next update cycle.

Old 06-12-2018, 04:33 PM
EXPE15
Junior User
Originally Posted by acelefty
I did the Sync 3 update from the Ford website and my radio doesn't always stay on the last source and it is extremely frustrating. I have kind of noticed that if the truck sits overnight, it will turn back on to Sirius (which is all I listen to) but if I am running errands the truck is only shut off for 15-30 minutes it defaults back to FM when I restart it. I have also been extremely frustrated that I can't use voice control while in reverse and I have to wait until I am traveling forwards and the rearview camera is off the screen before I can get rid of the AM static. Grrrr.
The voice command disabled during back up is a good safety feature. Either switch source from AM to Sirius/USB after start but before backing up. If I remember correctly all audio is disabled during back up so the back up sensor alerts can override audio for the distance alerts.

Remember the electronic alerts, camera, Active park Assist, BLIS/CTA is a house and reference only. Driver is ultimately responsible for final decision and outcome. If there is doubt picture a trial against Ford. They will send their best attorney team and blow up the sections related to electronic devices and guides of the owners manual in 72 point font for the overhead projectors and jury to see.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:35 PM
clc3251
Senior User
Received 19 Likes on 3 Posts
Master reset didn't solve this for me. Still happening every time I start the truck. Sometimes defaults to AM. I never listen to AM. Sometimes if I let it on FM, it will briefly blip and go back to FM like it's trying to switch to FM, even though it's already on FM. extremely frustrating. The only way I can prevent it is by turning off the system before I shut off the truck.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:12 PM
34SF
Mountain Pass
Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Because of the lack of service from Ford customer service, I sent a letter to Ford HQ detailing the default source problem with the current update. A few days ago I received their response. Their solution was for me to contact my local dealer.

I'm satisfied with my 2.1 roll-back because I don't have to mess with the radio every time I start the truck. The downside is that both the quality of the 3.0 update and the response from Ford leave very much to be desired. Their attitude seems similar to Apple's: Don't like our software? Dont use our hardware. Telling that my wife's Toyota has none of these problems with her audio (or anything else). Different customer valuation.

Old 06-13-2018, 12:55 AM
EXPE15
Junior User
I hate to say it but Ford is cutting their own throat and alienating their US customer base. I had high hopes for them during the bailout since they didn't take the Government Bailout. Sure hope this new CEO and BOD know what they are doing. To be perfectly honest I have a smoke flare (Location Marker) already to pop at the Dodge Charger Booth if they don't want to support their loyal customers. I will send a letter anyhow just to get my licks in and see what reply I get. I really hate to give up that easy and pay for a new system only to have a older software version. Aside from the audio glitch the SYNC3 V3.0 works pretty good. I will try the turning off and remote start combination see if one of those work.

Old 06-13-2018, 07:06 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 238 Likes on 185 Posts
This must be a problem with certain vehicles because my 2016 F150 with SYNC 3 always comes back on to whatever I had it on last before I turned my vehicle off and it`s been this way since version 1.0 when I first purchased my truck and it`s been the same after updating to 2.0, 2.3, and 3.0

Very strange indeed that so many people are having this problem.

I hope you get a reply to your letter but the odds of that happening are worse than playing the lottery.

Old 06-13-2018, 07:12 AM
RZAR
Tuned
My brand spanking new 2018 F350 came from the factory with the default to FM issue.

Old 06-13-2018, 06:43 PM
slapshot12
More Turbo
Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by GABAR
This must be a problem with certain vehicles because my 2016 F150 with SYNC 3 always comes back on to whatever I had it on last before I turned my vehicle off and it`s been this way since version 1.0 when I first purchased my truck and it`s been the same after updating to 2.0, 2.3, and 3.0

Very strange indeed that so many people are having this problem.

I hope you get a reply to your letter but the odds of that happening are worse than playing the lottery.
It is. I updated my wife's '17 Explorer the same day, and with the same file, I used on my truck. The Explorer still goes back to whatever was used last while 98% of the time, my truck goes back to FM from Sirius.

Old 06-13-2018, 07:09 PM
EXPE15
Junior User
Apparently I am not the only cat in the box with the problem. Sounds like until I brought it up there was either no issue or no major reports. Me posting the thread apparently got more people checking and commenting. That’s how a forum should work. You discuss an issue and someone probably will chime in with same issue. Sometimes it is a yes I have this problem and some might offer hopefully constructive feedback for either repair or guidance on correction.

Old 08-10-2018, 12:56 PM
Ees73
Cross-Country
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone solve this or get anywhere with dealer. My version 2.2 wouldn’t show my texts. Now version 3 that works fine but always goes back to fm radio

Old 08-10-2018, 02:08 PM
spongecop
Semper Fi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
same issue on my 2017 AND Apple Car play shuts down after about 10 min of use rendering that feature worthless.

Old 08-11-2018, 11:09 AM
k7lvo
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 1956Fatfenders
One other way I found to avoid the switching to FM, is with remote start. For whatever reason, that worked for me every time. Weird.
Sync doesn’t activate until you turn the key on. I’ve also found that turning the key to “Acc” or “on” for 3-4 seconds before starting the truck avoids the problem. I think that it’s caused by Sync booting while the battery voltage is low due to cranking.

Old 08-14-2018, 07:15 PM
Ees73
Cross-Country
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Your right about voltage drop I’m going to pass on to my dealer he’s made a request to ford.

Old 08-17-2018, 11:00 AM
Racing Red '17
New User
Angry Radio gone bonkers

I am having the same issue. Going to my second dealer this coming Monday.

Quick Reply: Sync 3 Defaults to radio on startup