1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Steering Stabilizer: Dual, Single, or not worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 06:34 PM
Jo7.3
Laughing Gas
Received 102 Likes on 80 Posts
Stock wheels are indeed 7” wide. I had some 10 wides that I ran for a bit, but took em off because they made the truck look like crap, and they were in pretty bad shape. They did handle right much better than the stock wheels, which is why I’m looking pretty hard at buying some 10 wides at the moment. My theory is with a stabilizer and 10 wides, the truck oughta handle pretty good for a leaf sprung truck with wide wheels and tires lol.

Just realized that I never said in my original post that I had already run some 10 wide wheels before, lol my bad.

Old 04-07-2018, 06:40 PM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
I must regress,

I was in the driveway and garage trying to find my caliper. I measured my own stockers and they are 7's. My apologies.

(I'd still go with the SS first and see what you see)

Denny

Old 04-07-2018, 06:48 PM
DogRidesInBack
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would get the rim/tire combo fixed first. But also I think a SS will probably still help since the tires are a bit taller than stock (and heavier). So a SS will help them stay in the desired direction.

But a SS will not do anything to prevent the tires from rolling under the rims due to side forces because the geometry is outside of what the tires were designed for.

Old 04-07-2018, 07:24 PM
akcooper9
Laughing Gas
Received 60 Likes on 38 Posts
My vote is for a Ram Assist. Not only does it take the stress of the steering box and help with slow speed steering, it also does a fantastic job as stabilizer!

Old 04-07-2018, 08:06 PM
Yoteman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I’ll have to agree that I’d be looking for the root of the problem and not trying to mask it with a steering stabilizer. Could cause you bigger issues down the road.

And timmyboy, I totally agree, I absolutely can’t stand the look of huge wheels and small tires. Or even huge wheels with big tires... I like more tire than wheel.

Old 04-07-2018, 09:09 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by akcooper9
My vote is for a Ram Assist. Not only does it take the stress of the steering box and help with slow speed steering, it also does a fantastic job as stabilizer!
Based upon having driven a truck equipped with the Redneck Ram hydro assist, I completely agree with this.

https://westtexasoffroad.wixsite.com...hydro-steering

The Redhead and a SS do not even come close and you may save a bit of money.
If someone is dead set on the Redhead, I would go with the dual stabilizer so that you have a choice between running one or two.

Old 04-07-2018, 11:04 PM
tokim
New User
My 2000 F350 4WD stock size wheels and tires has a Bilstein single SS on it. It rides/steers great, however I don't have a "before and after", since the previous owner installed it.

Old 04-08-2018, 06:46 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
{cracking knuckles} Oohhh do I have this tee shirt. I tried shocks. I got all my front end parts to 100%. I tried tires and air pressure. There are two items that made the front end feel like a whole different truck, to the point where my wife (as a passenger) really noticed:

Front end springs. If you have the type of springs with the gap in them, or the gap between bump stops is less than 3 to 3 1/2" (I was 2 1/2", now I'm 4 1/2"), then the front is riding harsher than necessary. It wasn't cheap to replace the springs, because it requires a front end alignment, and many shops don't know how to align our trucks. I have had the same set of tires on the front end of my 4X4 for over two years without rotating them (about 40K miles), and they have no significant uneven wear. I had to go out and find an alignment shop that knows what they are doing with our Jurassic trucks.

Redhead steering box. I won't say anything at all about it here, because the before and after videos say it all:

Before:

Later that day, after the Redhead install:

Old 04-08-2018, 11:48 AM
Jo7.3
Laughing Gas
Received 102 Likes on 80 Posts
For starters, I just want to say thanks to everyone for the input. I have looked into the ram assist steering, however, I go off-road through fields and such quite a bit on the farm, and really don’t want to risk snagging a hose. I know that it probably wouldn’t happen, but better to be safe than sorry.
Secondly, I have found a used set of 16x10 Mickey Thompson classic 2s for sale near me that I might pick up if the price is right. Anyone know the difference between them and the classic 3s? All I could find was the classic 3s had a higher load rating by about 300 pounds. The wheels also have some Goodyear load range D tires on them, so I might run around on those tires for a little to see if they ride better than my toyos.
As far as a steering box goes, I’m pretty sure the redhead would be an improvement over my stock box, however, I don’t have nearly as much play as your truck did with the old steering box tugly. I also replaced my old front leaf springs with x-codes from SD truck springs about 8 months ago mainly to use as a leveling kit along with my mini spring pack. But I did not get an alignment as I got all ball joints replaced and an alignment done about a year ago.

Personally, I attribute the rough ride to the tires and putting them on a much too skinny wheel. I found my old 265s that came on the truck when I bought it, and all they say for load rating is “standard load rating”. Not sure what that means, but they handled bumps a lot better than my toyos.

Old 04-08-2018, 12:24 PM
stevedrums
Junior User
Originally Posted by Tugly
It wasn't cheap to replace the springs, because it requires a front end alignment, and many shops don't know how to align our trucks.
is there something besides toe-in that needs adjustment that i don't know about? i guess you could adjust caster with shims, but that isn't necessary 99.9% of the time

Old 04-08-2018, 01:19 PM
crop harvester
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
With accentric bushing on ball joint Caster & Camber is adjustable.

Old 04-08-2018, 01:21 PM
stevedrums
Junior User
Originally Posted by crop harvester
With accentric bushing on ball joint Caster & Camber is adjustable.
right, but wouldn't something have to be bent to consider adjusting things like that?

Old 04-08-2018, 01:46 PM
crop harvester
Fleet Mechanic
no bending,the accentric bushing is turned at alighnment shop to achieve desired degrees/angle.

Old 04-08-2018, 02:00 PM
stevedrums
Junior User
Originally Posted by crop harvester
no bending,the accentric bushing is turned at alighnment shop to achieve desired degrees/angle.
what i meant was - why does camber need to be adjusted unless something is bent?

Old 04-08-2018, 08:49 PM
crop harvester
Fleet Mechanic
Your correct on camber,sometimes the spring arch settles enough to change the caster.

Quick Reply: Steering Stabilizer: Dual, Single, or not worth it?