6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Battery life in the 6.7 ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 10:33 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
The easiest thing to do regardless of what you drive, or what battery is installed, is to periodically measure the charging voltage and the battery state of charge at the battery posts. This pays dividends.

If the alternator isn't doing its job, or the vehicles grounds & cables are loose or corroded... There will be problems guaranteed. Even the most heavy duty, expensive battery will fail & fail prematurely. Get all the performance and longetivity you paid for with your dollars.

Old 04-26-2018, 07:36 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
Batteries are a funny thing, sometimes they last and last and other times they fail quickly. I follow a couple of Ford diesel techs on Youtube and they replace the factory batteries fairly often, especially for leaking.

I would expect a pretty lengthy service life from the factory batteries considering you have two, and possibly two alternators to charge them. But who knows. I would also recommend the Odyssey batteries if you are willing to shell out the extra dough. Best battery I've ever owned.

FUN UNRELATED FACT: My 2002 Kubota L4310 tractor still has the *original* Kubota 600CCA battery...starts fine, even in near 0-degree weather for plowing in the winter. I'm amazed.

Old 04-26-2018, 08:04 AM
bayou barataria
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Larrymac, the auto zone batteries have a 5 yr pro rated 2 year free replacement warranty.

Old 04-26-2018, 08:15 AM
The Bone
Cargo Master
Received 228 Likes on 164 Posts

I have a Interstate battery in my 68 Mustang and the car sits most of the time but it's still good. Starts the car every time. I think its more than 7 years old

Old 04-26-2018, 08:30 AM
Paw's 150 Lariat
Logistics Pro
Received 2,176 Likes on 680 Posts
Originally Posted by bayou barataria
Larrymac, the auto zone batteries have a 5 yr pro rated 2 year free replacement warranty.
Just curious to wear you're located at? Picture from Lafitte a couple of years ago..we go down there a lot to see some friends.

Old 04-26-2018, 08:33 AM
bayou barataria
Posting Guru

You are looking at my subdivision in that pic, am on one of the private canals. Who are your friends here?

Old 04-26-2018, 08:37 AM
Paw's 150 Lariat
Logistics Pro
You are looking at my subdivision in that pic, am on one of the private canals. Who are your friends here?
We go and eat at Jan's all the time...I grew up with Gary and still were good friends until his death a few years ago. Know the Coulon family also.

Old 04-26-2018, 08:38 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
That's cool that you guys happened to find out you live / visit the same area because of a Ford truck forum!

Old 04-26-2018, 08:42 AM
Paw's 150 Lariat
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by troverman
That's cool that you guys happened to find out you live / visit the same area because of a Ford truck forum!
Not the first time it's happened...I grew up not far from the Lafitte/Barataria area and use to fish in that area often. Moved about 10 yrs ago a little further away. Time to roll..taking the wife to Houma. Catch ya'll later!

Old 04-26-2018, 08:43 AM
bayou barataria
Posting Guru

I am on the other side, I think I did some work for an older fella in a grey brick house named coulon, but it has been a couple of years, can't remember. Have you tried des famillies, good food and atmosphere.

Old 04-26-2018, 01:08 PM
Paw's 150 Lariat
Logistics Pro
I am on the other side, I think I did some work for an older fella in a grey brick house named coulon, but it has been a couple of years, can't remember. Have you tried des famillies, good food and atmosphere.
Over the years we've tried all the restaurants down that way. Des Famillies..Boutte's..Voleo's but like Jan's the best. We live in Lafourche Parish now in the Mathews area. I grew up on the westbank and still have property in Gretna. Lived in Belle Chasse for 32 yrs.

Old 04-26-2018, 02:01 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
When I took Basic Training in the Army there were two identical twin brothers named Pellegrin in our company, from Houma, LA (which they would always remind everybody) is south of New Orleans. It was hilarious at first because not everybody got the word, so they would get yelled at a lot. "Didn't I just tell you to go report to KP??!!" "That was my brother Drill Sergeant!"
"Yeah right Private!!" Rinse lather repeat.

Ok so ya had to be there.

Old 04-27-2018, 05:59 PM
Cool Ron
Freshman User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Batteries replaced about 3.5 yrs

Originally Posted by pacnorwest
Have you replaced the batteries in your 6.7 yet?
Did you wait until the old ones died?

Reason I ask is that my truck & batteries were 3.5 years old and I got uncomfortable about getting stranded with dead batteries.
(I happened to get stranded in my Jeep with it's factory battery - approximately 4 years old on Easter day. I didn't like that a bit.)
So I replaced both batteries in my 2015 Super Duty (took delivery in Aug 2014).

Just wondering what the factory battery life expectancy might be?
My 2015, bought new in 2014, now has 123k miles had the battery light come on about 115k miles. Not sure which battery was bad, but the drivers side battery was also leaking so I replaced both the Napa Agm batteries and I haven’t looked back.

Old 12-16-2018, 10:00 AM
John Boulay
New User
Smile battery replacement

Originally Posted by Traveling Man
I hope I don't jinx myself but my 2012 SD has the original batteries. I keep them clean and corrosion free. I have been thinking about replacing them with Sam's Duracell AGM batteries. I can get the Motorcraft batteries for the same price but I believe the AGMs are a little better.
Sams club batteries are made by East Penn Battery co. which is the same company that makes DEKA batteries which are OEM for Caterpillar.
I talked to a driver at east Penn delivering to Sams and asked him if the different names on these batteries are as good as DEKA and his reply was all EAST Penn batteries are made with the same quality regardless of name.
Yes the AGM are better cost more as most things of quality do, will take more abuse than wet cell technology.
My 2011 F-350 6.7 PS has the OEM batteries still...
Tip: I recommend putting those treated felt washers over each battery post when doing a replacement of batteries. They can be purchased at WalMart for .99 cents for a pair. Use Arm & Hammer Baking Soda mixed with warm water to clean the corrosion off cables and battery posts.
This solution does a good job of cleaning all acid off top of batteries.

Old 12-16-2018, 10:12 AM
John Boulay
New User
DeKa is made by EAST PENN Batteries...it is what Caterpillar uses in all their Equipment as OEM.
Sams Club batteries are made by EAST PENN. with varying names like Duracell (same quality as DEKA) I was told by the truck driver for EAST PENN.

Quick Reply: Battery life in the 6.7 ?