Any alternative to buying expensive OEM a/c parts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 11:10 AM
530ktmpilot
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any alternative to buying expensive OEM a/c parts?

my 2006 superduty’s a/c compressor is shedding crap into the system and slowly plugging up the orifice tube. Looks like the next step is to replace the compressor, condenser, reciever/drier, orifice and misc. orings before a major failure. I’m also going to flush remaining parts (evaporator and hoses) as well as install one of ford’s oem suction filters as an extra precaution.

my question is regarding buying OEM vs. aftermarket. Rockauto has new denso compressors for considerably less than the motorcraft part and condensors are about 1/2 the cost of OEM options as well. I’m not interested in putting a crappy chinese clone in the system since the compressor changeouts are a real Pita but if I can get OEM quality and save some money I’m all for it. Denso makes lots of compressors for japanese cars and is a well known company. Anyone have any experience or thoughts with using them (or another aftermarket mfg’s) instead of motorcraft?

Old 03-30-2018, 09:46 PM
Torky2
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Denso is the designer and supplier for the FS10 compressor. Have bought Denso FS10 and 10PA17 compressors before, never a failure nor a problem with them. I bought them all with clutch.

There are few actual manufacturers of A/C parts like evaps, condensers, etc., they just market under many different names. Just about everything of that type is made in China. A few years ago on my Bronco doing a total system replacement, I used Four Seasons evap, condenser, accumulator, hoses, etc., everything BUT the compressor. Some fits were a bit approximate, as far as the exact angle a tube would come out of a part, but I was able to get it to work out. Been running for years now no problems, no leaks.

About hoses... if any hose/manifold assembly has a muffler in it, I would strongly advise getting a new hose assembly instead of trying to flush it. Can not reliably flush a muffler.

Old 03-31-2018, 01:46 PM
alloro
Received 4,196 Likes on 2,432 Posts
You get what you pay for. Everyone here would like to have OEM quality parts for the cost of cheap Chinese aftermarket ones. If you find such a source I'm sure I speak for all in saying, please share it.

Old 04-01-2018, 10:53 AM
530ktmpilot
Senior User
Originally Posted by alloro
You get what you pay for. Everyone here would like to have OEM quality parts for the cost of cheap Chinese aftermarket ones. If you find such a source I'm sure I speak for all in saying, please share it.
In most cases that’s true but another axiom is “never buy the most expensive or cheapest as you’ll likely spend your money unwisely” ��. Torqy2’s answer is a good example of what I’m desiring to learn. Sounds like the denso and motorcraft are identical except for the label on the side. Was kinda figuring that since they reference similar internal design features (forged plungers, tin plated swashplate, etc). So one could save momey over Motorcraft buy buying the identical item under Denso name.

Also, your point is spot on related to the chinese stuff. It’s really a crapshoot if an item is good quality or just junk. Now I’ve bought some decent stuff made in china before but it’s always a guessing game until it’s in your hands. Price may cheaper but cost more in the long run. When I was younger 4 seasons was quality aftermarket a/c stuff. Now, I’m not so sure as heard more than one person indicate they are just selling overpriced chinese stuff now rebranded under their name.

In the end, I opened up my wallet and went with all motorcraft components for this rebuild as I never (hopefully) want to have to deal with that a/c compressor removal and reinstall again in my lifetime since it’s such a pita to work on. I also learned about Motorcraft’s entry into the “less than OEM quality” arena (see my post under high service level). I was also tempted to go with an autozone unit that had a lifetime warranty but knowing its a cheap chinese knockoff, I was thinking the labor effort to replace it wasn’t worth the value of a free replacement when it craps out.

Old 04-07-2018, 12:20 AM
530ktmpilot
Senior User
Well, here’s some additional info. I ordered the motorcraft compressor than decided to buy the denso unit (thinking they were both the same and reading very good reviews on denso units). Recieved both a couple of days ago and compared them side by side. They are definitely not made by the same company. Different castings and zinc plated bolts on the motocraft vs. black oxide coated bolts on the denso. The motorcraft lable shows its made in mexico. My guess is it’s made by sanden but not sure. One this of note is the denso turns very stiffly by hand and is not very smooth. By contrast, the motorcraft is much smoother and easy to turn. In the end, the motorcraft unit seems a little better made so will go with that one. I also recently read that denso was subcontracting some of their mfg out to other companies so maybe the quality may vary depending on who’s building for them? only a small and barely readable denso label was on the unit compared to the motorcraft one that had serial #, build date, etc.