Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Factory/ATS 093 turbo outlet upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 09:56 PM
PlumCrazy7
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Factory/ATS 093 turbo outlet upgrade

This won't be a short story, nor will it be quickly implemented, but here it goes.

I'll be taking a CNC class where I get to design my own part, being an IDI addict I want to build something I can use for my truck/engine to make more power, and perhaps sell to fellow IDI'ers to recoup design costs and share the parts.

My first thought was a custom pedestal mount for the 7.3 PowerStroke turbo to easily put them on an IDI. I know there are better turbos, but it seems like someone is constantly asking how to put one on an IDI and the turbos are getting more and more common on craigslist.

My second thought, and the preferred since I have a factory turbo kit in need of an upgrade anyway, is to remake the 3 inch exhaust housing for the 093 with a 3 inch v-band. This would be awesome except for the up front cost of a big block of cast iron. I think this one would be particularly marketable as it seems to be a great upgrade and the factory turbo kit is fairly abundant.

What do you guys think? Any other ideas for something that could be machined to suit our IDI's?

Old 03-28-2018, 10:51 PM
cadunkle
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
I have a wastegated Banks, my plan is to keep the hot side and replace the turbo with something better. I've never owned and ATS turbo but with what you describe what are the gains for a budget minded person as compared to getting a Wicked Wheel and the R&D 3" downpipe and elbow? Is there really a market for this? How many people are running a 2 year only production factory Ford/ATS turbo that would then choose this route over the available upgrades or replace with a much better turbo?

Old 03-28-2018, 11:49 PM
PlumCrazy7
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It would be a different route to get the same thing as the r&d exhaust upgrade. I never look too close at his stuff because it's all out of my price range, so thanks for pointing that out! It would be a solid upgrade for anyone running the 093, the wicked wheel isn't worth the money from what I've seen.

You may have a point about the market size for one turbo kit. It would be limited, but so would my production. There are better/bigger turvos out there but it seems you always loose some responsiveness whenever you upgrade to a bigger turbo whereas exhaust upgrade is throughout the rev-range. So it might be worth the trouble for me to make two of them and be done, but the weld-on v-band is much less time consuming and cheaper to achieve the same thing.

Have any ideas for something else needing to be made? Maybe just build a pedestal that could accept the 7.3 powerstroke and standard turbos. Everyone could use it, and it would open a door for those without a kit to build their own.

Old 03-30-2018, 09:10 AM
03wr250f
Cross-Country
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I dont have any suggestions for what you could make, at least at this very moment, but I will say I personally think the wicked wheel 2 is a great upgrade
Everyone I know who has installed one has also loved it. Most people see 1-3 psi boost increase, faster boost coming on, and dyno gains of 10 hp and 35ft lbs of torque. I think that is a pretty significant upgrade.

Honestly that elbow is the hardest part to come by. I am almost positive there would be a demand for them if you actually made a whole new exhaust elbow. Honestly If you are on facebook I would search "Michelle N Russell Mathis" that is russ, or typ4, as he is known and he is always looking for exhaust elbows. It might be worth a shot, and It may end up being worth you while. It is at least worth looking into. And russ may have other suggestions, such as making the intake snail, He also seems to always be wanting those.

Old 05-19-2024, 03:11 AM
4x4crawlin
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anything come of this??

Comin in 6 years later lol. I have a 93 idit and Ive been slowly building it up. Gettin to the end of all the parts necessary to replace so I finally get to start checkin into "go fast/go speed limit" parts 😅 been lookin at the wicked wheel but also would love a elbow with a 3inch vband!