2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Acceleration issues with wrench light (2011 Ford Expedition 5.4, V-8, Flex Fuel)

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 12:27 PM
Missfixit
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acceleration issues with wrench light (2011 Ford Expedition 5.4, V-8, Flex Fuel)

I need some troubleshooting help, if possible, please.

I was driving my vehicle on Saturday to get my daughter and her kids. We used the toll roads which I drive about 80-90 miles per hour (I'm mentioning this because when I went to look up possible issues, this was brought up) and these were my driving conditions at the time the issue really started occurring. She lives a few of towns over and it's an hour's drive one way. It's mostly highway without a lot of stop n go. Once I got back into town and was at a stop light, I started to go and my truck wouldn't accelerate and the wrench light (limp home mode) came on.

It took about a minute with the acceleration pedal pushed down to the floor before it'd get up and really register for my truck to go. It did this at several lights as I made my way through town. Once it starts going, my truck picks up speed and we're going again but it's really delayed on sensing that it needs to pick up speed. At no point did my truck's engine stop altogether and when it idles fine. There has always been a slight delay in acceleration but not to this extent. I've never had to push my throttle down to the floor like that before.

When I got home, I used my OBD tool to possibly see if I could get a code to tell me what to look at but. alas, no codes were indicated. I have the really nice expensive OBD tool, not that cheap crap they try to pawn off on unsuspecting people trying to better understand when their car malfunctions.

I figured the most probable thing was the throttle position sensor. I replaced that.

Of course, before I did, I noted that after sitting overnight the wrench light was gone but when I went to get the part from O'Riley's, the acceleration was a little better but still noticeably delayed. Once I got it in and drove it around, it seemed to work fine but I didn't go very far. It may have been wishful thinking but it really seemed to be pick up and accelerate better than ever. I drove into town last night for a quick errand about 10 miles from my house and on the way back, the acceleration again became demonstrably delayed and the wrench came back on. So I obviously didn't fix it.

I am thinking it has to do with the throttle and not something like the fuel delivery because I didn't lose power and the truck idles fine and when in neutral or park, I've had no issues in getting an immediate response when revving the engine whilst in park or neutral.

The throttle system has its own motor and there a couple of things I can look at but I'm wondering if you guys have any ideas as to what I should look at more specifically. I am thinking about replacing the whole throttle body unit with the motor, instead of just the motor. What else should I look at?

I have a fishing trip planned that's about 1400 miles away from home that is coming up. I am thinking about canceling it because I don't think it's wise of me to go but I already rented the cabin for that week and it's like $1500 and I don't want to lose that money and not go, especially since it's out in the middle of nowhere. I know a mechanic where I'm going through a friend but I still will have kids with me that won't be much help other than to hand me tools to work with and look stuff up for me but even that'll be hit or miss where we're going.

I'm hoping som

Old 03-27-2018, 06:24 PM
mpgo4th
5th Wheeling
It’s most likely the throttle body assembly. I’ve done a few. Replace the whole thing not just the motor guts. That way all the sensors are new as well. It’s not a hard job at all and the relearn procedure is nothing more than driving around. If it does set a code( which it usually doesn’t) it’s usually a trans code saying something like gear 3 wrong ratio.

Old 05-26-2018, 09:13 PM
sportsuburbangt
New User
I have been having a similar problem with my expy. it started in January and was every three or 4 weeks, now it is happening almost every time i drive it.

The wrench light goes on, then the tire pressure monitor comes on then the distance to empty with a dash come up. it cycles through those three. the speedometer stops working the interior lights will not come on and the tailgate will not open. While it is doing this the car will only start out in third gear, and it will not downshift. When i turn the car off and restart the problem goes away but come back soon. It does this in stop and go and on the highway.

I took it to the dealer twice and they could not replicate, but now it does this every second or third time i drive it. Sometimes there is a loud thud before it starts acting up.

It has 60k on it and i had the trans services last year.

It feels like the transmission is giving out, but it is probably something electronic.

Old 05-26-2018, 09:18 PM
sportsuburbangt
New User
This is starting to grate on me.
The tailgate is bubbling and ford will not do anything about it. I had to replace the evaporator last year too,
I'm glad i have the extra warranty, but this truck is starting to feel fragile.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:48 PM
sportsuburbangt
New User
I just got the expedition back from the dealer. They found the problem it was the leadframe. It was replaced and it drives great.

according to the TSB my expedition was built 3 weeks out of the window for the TSB.

Old 06-15-2018, 12:01 PM
SCourtney
New User
Originally Posted by sportsuburbangt
I just got the expedition back from the dealer. They found the problem it was the leadframe. It was replaced and it drives great.

according to the TSB my expedition was built 3 weeks out of the window for the TSB.
Please elaborate on what the "leadframe" is that was replaced. Our Expy is exhibiting this same problem...

Old 06-18-2018, 10:32 PM
sportsuburbangt
New User
Its a module that wraps around the valve body and controls the solenoids and handles the speed output. There are a few youtube videos that describe it.