Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo and Speedometer Problems

Old 03-25-2018, 05:31 PM
JustinF08
Freshman User
JustinF08 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Turbo and Speedometer Problems

I have a 2011 F-250 Power Stroke. Since I bought the truck the beginning of 2017, the speedometer has been off. It has been to several Ford dealerships and they keep telling me it is in perfect working order. WRONG!!! I have passed multiple signs that read speed and it always shows between 8 and 10 MPH faster than my gauge. To reassure my suspicion, I had a coworker drive beside me while I was using cruise control to maintain a steady speed of 70 MPH and he is reading 80 MPH. I have tested this with multiple different vehicles and they are all consistent. The truck has 67,xxx miles and Iím running factory size tires as per sticker in door jam. At lower speeds, it shows 5 MPH off and gradually increases with higher speeds. Could this be speed sensors? The truck was manufactured in Kentucky but sold on a dealership on Ontario. Could the gauge cluster have been transferred to kilometers and then transferred back to MPH upon arrival in Ohio where I bought it? Iím at my whites end with this dilemma and as much as I travel, Iím bound to get a speeding ticket. Thanks for any advice.

Second issue, every once in awhile, I will crank the truck up and go somewhere, as I give it some throttle, I notice my turbo boost gauge showing a very slow climb and maxes out a 10 PSI. I have no power until I turn the truck off and restart it. It throws a code but as soon as I turn the truck off again, it disappears and Ford says that itís throwing a turbo fault code but they keep giving me the runaround on what needs fixed. The motor is bone stock. They say, ďWell the check engine light is off and itís running fine nowĒ they havenít stood behind their product one bit with this truck. Iíve had 2 6.4L Power Strokes and they were very rarely in the shop but if they were, Ford did whatever necessary.

Old 03-25-2018, 09:24 PM
cangim
Postmaster
cangim has a good reputation on FTE.cangim has a good reputation on FTE.cangim has a good reputation on FTE.
For the speedometer, do you have forscan? If so you can connect to read what it is set to. Also take note of what gearing the sticker shows and what is actually in there. 3.55 are most popular it seems. On my truck running slightly larger tires I have maxed tire size out at 34 and change the ratio to 3.31. This places almost dead on for gps and dash.

Old 03-26-2018, 04:26 PM
defekticon
Senior User
defekticon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.defekticon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by JustinF08 View Post
I have a 2011 F-250 Power Stroke. Since I bought the truck the beginning of 2017, the speedometer has been off. It has been to several Ford dealerships and they keep telling me it is in perfect working order. WRONG!!! I have passed multiple signs that read speed and it always shows between 8 and 10 MPH faster than my gauge. To reassure my suspicion, I had a coworker drive beside me while I was using cruise control to maintain a steady speed of 70 MPH and he is reading 80 MPH. I have tested this with multiple different vehicles and they are all consistent. The truck has 67,xxx miles and Iím running factory size tires as per sticker in door jam. At lower speeds, it shows 5 MPH off and gradually increases with higher speeds. Could this be speed sensors? The truck was manufactured in Kentucky but sold on a dealership on Ontario. Could the gauge cluster have been transferred to kilometers and then transferred back to MPH upon arrival in Ohio where I bought it? Iím at my whites end with this dilemma and as much as I travel, Iím bound to get a speeding ticket. Thanks for any advice.

Second issue, every once in awhile, I will crank the truck up and go somewhere, as I give it some throttle, I notice my turbo boost gauge showing a very slow climb and maxes out a 10 PSI. I have no power until I turn the truck off and restart it. It throws a code but as soon as I turn the truck off again, it disappears and Ford says that itís throwing a turbo fault code but they keep giving me the runaround on what needs fixed. The motor is bone stock. They say, ďWell the check engine light is off and itís running fine nowĒ they havenít stood behind their product one bit with this truck. Iíve had 2 6.4L Power Strokes and they were very rarely in the shop but if they were, Ford did whatever necessary.
Is it possible it's been re-geared? I recently changed the diff oil on my 2011 and both front and rear diffs had tool stamp markings for matching bearing caps that didn't come from Dana which I thought was odd, but it proves that the bearing caps had been removed for some reason at one point. Truck only had 32k miles on it when I bought it. It happens. I also had a 2014 F-250 with only the factory tool markings on the housing, it's pretty obvious someone took a Letter A punch and marked the caps and housing, which is SOP whenever you have to take the carrier out for any reason.

RE: Turbo/Boost issues: I had the same problem and it would only occur after letting the truck idle for an extended period of time. Shutting the truck off, then restarting would fix the problem until I left it idling for more than a few minutes. I would look at problems with the EGR or DPF before the turbo or the VGT solenoid. I believe the problem had to do with some of the factory emissions equipment because once the truck was deleted I never had the issue again. I can tell you confidently in my situation the problem was not related to the turbo or the Exhaust vanes.

RE: 6.4 reliability. Not sure that's been a common experience among other 6.4 owners.

Old 03-28-2018, 01:36 AM
kper05
Post Fiend
kper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant future
Does the computer report the correct speed? Go into engineering mode and find the speed option. To enter that mode, for the basic screen, hold reset and turn the key to run. If starting resets it, go to KOEO, hold reset while starting. It's been years since I've activated that so I can't remember the process specifically. When my truck was new with OEM tires, the computer was matching a GPS but the speedometer was 2 MPH fast at 50. I can only guess this is by design.

The turbo code is probably P132B or something similar to turbo performance. My 2011 does this same thing at random and has since new. In 2012 it did this and didn't recover after multiple restarts. Not knowing what happened at the time, it went on a flatbed to Ford. They updated the firmware then and restarts correct the issue. I have the June 2017 ECM firmware and it still does it. When it occurs, the truck won't boost over 3 PSI, the engine is loud and the temps begin to sky rocket so you have to take it easy. Key off/restart is the fix. It may happen again in a month, it might be a year in my experience. All seasons and weather, I've never been able to pinpoint a specific reason and Ford has never resolved it, other than probably MY2015+. My guess, the variable vanes stop responding to the ECM. I've had this happen at start or I've had it happen driving down the road. It never throws a CEL.