1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Installing modern LED headlights - a simple how-to

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 10:32 PM
jerry_s
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing modern LED headlights - a simple how-to

I had some free time this week so I started to assemble the grille and headlights. I thought I had the teeth - while my truck is a '54, I'm using the grille from a '53 as I like the teeth look better.

Anyways, I will have to take one more pic for all of this to fully make sense. The H4 plug that came with my headlights (
Amazon Amazon
).

So, for a relatively expensive fee - $45 from Lowes - I bought this bit shown below to open up the holes. The plug now easily fits through with about 1/16 (or 1-2 mm for you metric folks) on each side with ease.

Drill bit used to open the hole on the head-light buckets so a H4 plug for a modern LED headlight would fit through

Resized Holes

Mostly finished product

Old 03-25-2018, 08:23 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
Looks good Jerry, do you have any pics of that H4 plug and the grommet you used to seal up that new larger hole?

Old 03-25-2018, 09:28 AM
Mixer man
Logistics Pro
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Does the LED lamp have a pigtail?

Old 03-25-2018, 04:40 PM
jerry_s
Tuned
Grommets are much more expensive than I would have thought:

Amazon Amazon

@Mixer Man: I'm not sure what you mean by pig tail. It does have an approximate 8" cord with the H4 plug at the end.

Old 03-25-2018, 05:00 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Midfifty catalog page 52...item 2235, headlight socket and pigtail $19.95; item 2234, headlight grommet $1.95
Not sure how much larger your hole is now, the stock grommet may not fit.
Sometimes it is best to cut a harness and feed the wires through without the connector attached.

Old 03-25-2018, 05:50 PM
jerry_s
Tuned
If I go by this diagram:

See next post, link would be confusing

I actually need this grommet (pack of 5, so still about $8 a grommet):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D4BGB6Y/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D4BGB6Y/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

I had thought about cutting the wires and running it through, but it felt like a "cleaner" solution to enlarge the hole to run the pigtail through. That said:
  • I know LED's tend to have very long life-spans and a 1 snip per light and a couple of connectors and electrical tape would have been easier as all that is hidden.
  • So I definitely created more work by enlarging the holes.
  • Assuming those grommets from Amazon will work, I will ironically have to cut the grommet to get the wire in to the center part.
It wasn't until Chuck asked about the grommets that I even considered it. While I plan on driving the truck a lot, Southern Cali has little rain and I hadn't planned on driving the truck when it did rain. But without grommets, I guess washing the truck would have risked getting water in that way.

Old 03-25-2018, 05:59 PM
jerry_s
Tuned

My previous post wouldn't allow me to edit it and upload a pic, so posting it on a new post. As the drill bit I used opened it up to 1 1/8", I need a groove diameter of 1 1/8, not OD of 1 1/8

Grommet measurements

Old 03-25-2018, 06:19 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
I would buy a couple of stock grommets. Cut a couple pieces of metal that will cover the new holes you drilled. Use some of your new 3M 08115 adhesive and bond the patches to the buckets. When the panel adhesive has cured, drill the patches to the proper size for the stock grommets and insert same.

Old 03-25-2018, 08:04 PM
jerry_s
Tuned
Originally Posted by CharlieLed
I would buy a couple of stock grommets. Cut a couple pieces of metal that will cover the new holes you drilled. Use some of your new 3M 08115 adhesive and bond the patches to the buckets. When the panel adhesive has cured, drill the patches to the proper size for the stock grommets and insert same.
That's actually not a bad idea...

Here's the pics I said I would take of the backs with the pig tails hanging out (not all the way - they're 8"+ long).

Old 03-25-2018, 11:27 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Those plugs were made to be mated with the connector on the end of the pigtail within the bucket. They are the same dimensions as the plug on the back of a sealed beam headlight.

Old 03-25-2018, 11:30 PM
jerry_s
Tuned
I'll try and remember to get a pic of the other wire included with the LED headlights - it's a much longer wire, but it's plug ends are slightly larger than those pictured!

Old 03-26-2018, 01:21 AM
Mixer man
Logistics Pro
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
That's the answer I needed. Thanks.

Old 04-02-2018, 05:45 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Before you go too far you may want to check out the brightness of those lights. I was disappointed and sent mine back. I went back to the high output halogens. Those LEDs were not even as good as the standard bulbs, Yes, they look cool but not very functional. I think that you have to go to the more expensive LEDs but for me IMHO they were not that cool.

Halo rings on

Back to high output halogens:

-

Old 04-02-2018, 06:06 PM
EBEAR
Cargo Master
Received 542 Likes on 309 Posts
Hard to tell without the pics being in the same enviroment but the led's should always be a whiter light . Cheap led's will some times not carry as well .

Old 04-02-2018, 10:03 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
I bought the Trucklite LEDs for my truck and car, mainly because they were designed and developed for the military and they carry a MILSPEC designator. Here is a good video, https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...B&FORM=VDQVAP, where they review and rate 12 different LED 7" sealed beams. If you have an interest in 7" sealed beam LED headlights then it will be worth your time to watch these videos. Testing in a closed environment really makes the difference when comparing/rating these headlights.

Quick Reply: Installing modern LED headlights - a simple how-to