Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Power steering line seals

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 01:50 PM
RigCity
Laughing Gas
Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts
Power steering line seals

When I did my steering gearbox one of the hoses was done since last time someone ultra tightened it. Anyways I bought an aftermarket hose deffinetly looked like a downgrade but nothing else to do with the surprise replacement on the low pressure line. I kept the original other hose and “replaced” the seal after going to 10 stores and even a seal shop with a seal as the logo everyone had the same kit. There is a tiny leak from that new seal my motorcraft warranty geargbox arrives today and I want to stop the leak as tiny as it is. Has anyone bought new rings for these I think I read the a/c style will work the original one was kind of shaped like the fuel filter o ring. If I can’t find a solution I’ll probably end up having to buy another aftermarket as I don’t have time to wait for shipping and ford so they don’t make those anymore.
Thanks

Old 03-21-2018, 02:38 PM
CousinCarl
Laughing Gas
Received 180 Likes on 116 Posts
Originally Posted by RigCity
When I did my steering gearbox one of the hoses was done since last time someone ultra tightened it. Anyways I bought an aftermarket hose deffinetly looked like a downgrade but nothing else to do with the surprise replacement on the low pressure line. I kept the original other hose and “replaced” the seal after going to 10 stores and even a seal shop with a seal as the logo everyone had the same kit. There is a tiny leak from that new seal my motorcraft warranty geargbox arrives today and I want to stop the leak as tiny as it is. Has anyone bought new rings for these I think I read the a/c style will work the original one was kind of shaped like the fuel filter o ring. If I can’t find a solution I’ll probably end up having to buy another aftermarket as I don’t have time to wait for shipping and ford so they don’t make those anymore.
Thanks
Not sure about only the seals, but I replaced my high pressure line from the pump to the hydroboost with the line NAPA carried. I couldn't tell the difference between it and OEM. My leak wasn't at the seal though. The middle of the hose was leaking slowly so I had no choice but to replace the whole line.

Old 03-21-2018, 08:58 PM
akcooper9
Laughing Gas
Received 60 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by CousinCarl
Not sure about only the seals, but I replaced my high pressure line from the pump to the hydroboost with the line NAPA carried. I couldn't tell the difference between it and OEM. My leak wasn't at the seal though. The middle of the hose was leaking slowly so I had no choice but to replace the whole line.
Read this thread
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post17827986

Old 03-22-2018, 10:38 AM
lhud
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have replaced my high pressure line several times, twice with one from the box auto stores and once from the Ford dealership. I noticed the Ford line was of better quality especially there at the pump connection. The o-rings and teflon seal do not get torqued very much at all and I think that is a precursor to early failure, typically at the pump. I designed a hose from the hydraulic shop that uses a stainless flex, teflon lined braided hose with fittings to adapt to the pump side and then directly to the hydro-boost. I've had it on the truck now for a couple of years and think this will eliminate any failures within at least five or more years. I recently gave gave the info to a friend with an Excursion to do the same. I do carry the new Ford line as a back-up with the appropriate original fittings that can be replaced fairly quickly in an emergency if required. Cost for the hose complete was around $65 depending on the length of SS braided hose. My buddy and I think this is a bullet proof design compared to the after market junk we see. I present I had pics on my phone and will try to retrieve them from the failed phone and post them in my albums in my profile.

Old 03-23-2018, 06:37 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Have replaced a few on both, mine and friends truck and we both had the idea to have a permanent ss braid line maid. Just have to hit hydraulic store and bs with them about the 90* fitting off pump. Seems, no matter how i clock the cac tube, just not enough room for a straight adaptor

Old 03-26-2018, 11:33 AM
lhud
Elder User
You are correct timmyboy76, I used a swivel type 90 degree fitting with an 0-ring. This allows you to rotate the 90 so that it pretty much clears the tube. You may need to zip tie the tube to assure no contact with the fitting. I have the insulation removed from my tube so that helps some.

Old 03-29-2018, 07:38 PM
thegorilla
Junior User
Originally Posted by lhud
I have replaced my high pressure line several times, twice with one from the box auto stores and once from the Ford dealership. I noticed the Ford line was of better quality especially there at the pump connection. The o-rings and teflon seal do not get torqued very much at all and I think that is a precursor to early failure, typically at the pump. I designed a hose from the hydraulic shop that uses a stainless flex, teflon lined braided hose with fittings to adapt to the pump side and then directly to the hydro-boost. I've had it on the truck now for a couple of years and think this will eliminate any failures within at least five or more years. I recently gave gave the info to a friend with an Excursion to do the same. I do carry the new Ford line as a back-up with the appropriate original fittings that can be replaced fairly quickly in an emergency if required. Cost for the hose complete was around $65 depending on the length of SS braided hose. My buddy and I think this is a bullet proof design compared to the after market junk we see. I present I had pics on my phone and will try to retrieve them from the failed phone and post them in my albums in my profile.
You are correct timmyboy76, I used a swivel type 90 degree fitting with an 0-ring. This allows you to rotate the 90 so that it pretty much clears the tube. You may need to zip tie the tube to assure no contact with the fitting. I have the insulation removed from my tube so that helps some.
Would you please share the exact fittings and line you used? I am near a few hydraulic line shops and would love to get a better-engineered solution for this stupid pump fitting design. To clarify also, does your line connect to the existing pump hex boss and the existing hard line off the booster, or does one unscrew something from the pump and/or also remove the 90 degree hard tube from the pass. side of the booster? Perhaps a photo?

I have just reinstalled 2 different pump to boost pressure hoses 2 times each and they both leak between the dang nut and tube at the pump fitting! Maybe I'll try an AUtoZone line and return the Napa and AC Delco lines if it's any better. The AC Delco leaked like a sieve and the Napa tube bend pushed the hose on the shock tower and leaks from the o-ring if there is any radial pressure on it in any direction.

I know it's a lot to ask, but I'm almost at my wit's end having done this so many times now.

Old 03-29-2018, 07:47 PM
RigCity
Laughing Gas
Yes if someone has the details that would be great. I started this thread about the 2 low pressure lines. I recently replaced the high pressure one built from autocrap then about 30k later the hose exploded at the pump again on the highway to kick off my 10 hr road trip. One uber 50 bucks and my tools later I was back on. It’s one month since I’ve had the Napa line and plan on replacing it on or before the year mark. I don’t want to say a 3rd time put crap on in a pinch than paid x2

Old 03-29-2018, 08:28 PM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Post some pictures of the failed lines

Old 03-29-2018, 08:43 PM
RigCity
Laughing Gas
Its long gone it fails at the pump blowing off the hose leaving a stud in the pump both times that way for me

Old 04-02-2018, 04:23 PM
lhud
Elder User
Guys,
It's been a couple of years but I recently helped an X-owner with this mod so I will find the receipts and try to fin my pics showing the retrofitted pressure line.
Sorry for being late responding.

Old 04-02-2018, 04:28 PM
thegorilla
Junior User
Guys,
It's been a couple of years but I recently helped an X-owner with this mod so I will find the receipts and try to fin my pics showing the retrofitted pressure line.
Sorry for being late responding.
That would be awesome!

For anyone else in the meantime: I was able to get mine to stop leaking (for now) by rotating the hard line out of the pump clockwise enough for it to stop pushing the soft line against the shock tower.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:30 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
I have the hex nut on the shelf. This way i no what 90* fitting it will accept. Think its a pipe fitting. Will be doing this, this wkend

Old 04-03-2018, 08:51 AM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by timmyboy76
I have the hex nut on the shelf. This way i no what 90* fitting it will accept. Think its a pipe fitting. Will be doing this, this wkend
The nut that threads into the power steering pump? That nut is M16x1.5

Old 04-10-2018, 11:25 AM
thegorilla
Junior User
Any more info on this? It turns out my fix only worked while the truck sat in the driveway. 2 different new HP lines and both leak between the nut and tube.

Originally Posted by brandon_oma#692
The nut that threads into the power steering pump? That nut is M16x1.5
Are you talking about the nut that is into the plastic (green below), or the captive nut on the end of the high pressure tube (goes where the red plug is below)?

Do you know the threads into the hydroboost? I'm assuming this replaces the 90 degree hard line coming off the hydroboost? If not, maybe I should just take one of the new leaky lines down to Motion & Flow Control and have them build a direct replacement for just the high pressure line.

Quick Reply: Power steering line seals