Factory Fifth Wheel? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

Factory Fifth Wheel?

Old 03-20-2018, 02:07 PM
Baatzy
Elder User
Baatzy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Factory Fifth Wheel?

Hey all,

I am getting to the point of buying a new box, because MN. I am to put in a gooseneck/fifth wheel solution around the same time, so I only have to lift the box off once. My question is, does anyone know what is different between on 05 F350 cclb and a newer truck? Specifically why won't a newer factory 5th wheel / gooseneck hitch bolt on to an 05? If anyone is in the process of putting one of these kits on I would love to get some measurements from you.

Any and all help is much appreciated.

THanks,

Baatzy

Old 03-20-2018, 02:34 PM
thomabb
Posting Guru
thomabb is a splendid one to beholdthomabb is a splendid one to beholdthomabb is a splendid one to beholdthomabb is a splendid one to beholdthomabb is a splendid one to beholdthomabb is a splendid one to behold
The changes to the frame drive revisions to the crossmember.

Old 03-20-2018, 04:44 PM
speakerfritz
Postmaster
speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.
subscribed

thinking of doing the same thing on a 2010

Old 03-20-2018, 05:16 PM
Baatzy
Elder User
Thomabb, do you happen to know exactly what changed with the frame/crossmembers? I have been looking at as many frames as I can and I can't see what is different yet, my guess is it will come down to a small difference in measurements but idk.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:23 PM
Fefanatic
Senior User
Fefanatic is starting off with a positive reputation.
Save yourself the headache and go to the B&W system. You can find them used for around $250.00 or so for the frame mount and ball. The 5th wheel companion is about the same price as a Ford factory unit.

Old 03-21-2018, 08:06 AM
thomabb
Posting Guru
thomabb is a splendid one to beholdthomabb is a splendid one to beholdthomabb is a splendid one to beholdthomabb is a splendid one to beholdthomabb is a splendid one to beholdthomabb is a splendid one to behold
I don't know what the exact changes are. At some point Ford started pre-drilling the holes in the frame for their crossmember. They also started pre-dimpling the beds for the hole locations. Probably all minor changes, since the beds are mostly interchangeable across so many model years.

Old 03-21-2018, 08:40 PM
Baatzy
Elder User
So I know for sure that the holes in the top of the frame are not there. They would have to be drilled. The holes in the side of the frame, I'm not sure of, but I think they would have to be drilled as well. On another note, does anyone know how close the king ranch maroon/ beige from 05 matches the king ranch maroon beige of 11? If they are an exact match (which I don't think they are) I would definitely push forward with installing the ford factory setup because I have found a perfect bed that would be a color match. If they don't match I think I am going to go a different route.

Thanks,
Baatzy

Old 03-21-2018, 08:50 PM
speakerfritz
Postmaster
speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Baatzy View Post
So I know for sure that the holes in the top of the frame are not there. They would have to be drilled. The holes in the side of the frame, I'm not sure of, but I think they would have to be drilled as well. On another note, does anyone know how close the king ranch maroon/ beige from 05 matches the king ranch maroon beige of 11? If they are an exact match (which I don't think they are) I would definitely push forward with installing the ford factory setup because I have found a perfect bed that would be a color match. If they don't match I think I am going to go a different route.

Thanks,
Baatzy

the paint code code is what you need

its on your door sticker

for the donor bed, lookup the year and color and see if it is the same paint code.

its a 2 digit code. Mine is UD which is ebony gloss black

Old 03-21-2018, 10:21 PM
Baatzy
Elder User
Originally Posted by speakerfritz View Post

the paint code code is what you need

its on your door sticker

for the donor bed, lookup the year and color and see if it is the same paint code.

its a 2 digit code. Mine is UD which is ebony gloss black

I tried this, but unfortunately Ford changed paint codes in between them years. My guess would be the 08 time frame and maybe again around 11, so the paint codes don't carry through. The colors look very similar, but the paint codes are different. I'm not sure if that's because the colors are actually different, or if Ford just wanted to change something.

Old 03-21-2018, 11:11 PM
Fefanatic
Senior User
Fefanatic is starting off with a positive reputation.
If the paint codes do not match neither will the paint.

Old 03-22-2018, 01:25 AM
speakerfritz
Postmaster
I googled my 2010 ud ebony black and learned there are for ford codes called everything from mustang black, black, ebony black, absolute black, codes ua ub ud yc which are all the exact same color.

not sure why would change the name and the code for a color, but they do.

why donít you just drive the truck next to the bed and see if it matches.

or get the code for both years and see if touch up paint uses the same codes .

Old 03-22-2018, 12:31 PM
Baatzy
Elder User
So, I followed speakerfritz's advice and started looking up touch-up paint codes from different manufacturers. As he mentioned, the blacks across the years all shared the same product code from a certain manufacturer, regardless of Fords different paint codes. However the colors of my truck(T5 AQ), did not match any 11 MY colors. I had thought that might be the case after looking into it more.

I would like to drive my pickup next to the box in question, but it is 200 miles away.

Baatzy

Old 03-22-2018, 06:21 PM
speakerfritz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by thomabb View Post
I don't know what the exact changes are. At some point Ford started pre-drilling the holes in the frame for their crossmember. They also started pre-dimpling the beds for the hole locations. Probably all minor changes, since the beds are mostly interchangeable across so many model years.

any my final words why putting the 2011-2017 kit on a pre 2011 would not work.

drilling holes and welding nut plates are no problem.

Old 03-23-2018, 07:49 AM
speakerfritz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by speakerfritz View Post

any my final words why putting the 2011-2017 kit on a pre 2011 would not work.

drilling holes and welding nut plates are no problem.

Picked up a ford 33k lbs gooseneck kit

hopefully it will install in my 2010

Old 03-23-2018, 01:01 PM
Baatzy
Elder User
Fritz, excited to see how you come out on that. Please keep us updated.

Thanks,

Baatzy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Factory Fifth Wheel?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.