2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Spot Lamps. Just discovered these

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 11:22 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
You can make a wiring modification to the spot lamps so they stay on at all speeds. There is mention of it on this forum as well as the F-150 forum. The problem is that having these on can be blinding to other drivers and is illegal. They do throw off useful light and I might make the mod just to have them stay on at higher speeds while plowing, etc...or maybe just operate the passenger side light on the highway.

These lights were intended by Ford 100% to be used as a stationary work lamp, specifically to set up a campsite, etc.

Old 03-19-2018, 11:59 AM
johnfist
More Turbo
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by grouperjim
My wife's 2017 VW has them so I know they are legal if used as a cornering light.
Cornering lights, yes. The lights on the SD Trucks aren't going to be designed with proper angles to prevent blinding other drivers. Having them on while in motion on a public road might grab the attention of a particularly strict officer.

That being said, it's not going to be exceptionally likely.

Old 03-19-2018, 01:33 PM
Carnac22
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm thinking that it may be possible to keep the side spot lamps just as factory (manual on below 6mph, auto off at 6mph) AND add a wire to two of the upfitter switches that would override the speed and just turn them on (using two upfitter switches; one for each side; or one upfitter switch that would turn on both).

That way I could use them without fear of leaving them on unintentionally while driving, but could "force" them on if needed.

I'll have to give it some thought, but I think this may be pretty easy.

Jim

Old 03-19-2018, 04:15 PM
TheLex
Elder User
I need to figure a way out to mount some side lights. I liked the ones shown above between the running board and the bodywork, but my truck has the automatic running boards so the boards would be in the way unless I mounted them below the boards when they're in the retracted position. It would be handy to have good side lighting when driving around in an rv park in a national forest at night.

Old 03-19-2018, 06:11 PM
Carnac22
Senior User
Question for anyone that mounted IN the rear bumper - how did you cut the hole in the rear bumper.

I have a 17 Platinum with painted bumper. I like the look of flush mounted rear mounted lights and am thinking of adding some.

I may attach the lights under the rear bumper, but think the in bumper mount looks cleaner - plus the light would be better protected.

Thanks - Jim

Old 03-19-2018, 06:52 PM
dieseldrive
Tuned
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Carnac22
I'm thinking that it may be possible to keep the side spot lamps just as factory (manual on below 6mph, auto off at 6mph) AND add a wire to two of the upfitter switches that would override the speed and just turn them on (using two upfitter switches; one for each side; or one upfitter switch that would turn on both).

That way I could use them without fear of leaving them on unintentionally while driving, but could "force" them on if needed.

Jim
It should be easy to do BUT - you would first need to verify whether these lights are ran directly off the body module, or run off a relay (that runs of the BCM). Many lower current accessories these days run directly off a computer (module) because its cheaper. If the lights are ran directly from a module (no relay) you would then need to verify whether they are high, or low side switched (does the module turn on/off the positive or the negative. If its high side switched, you can easily do exactly what you are wanting to do using an upfitter switch by running a wire from an upfitter switch and tee into the wire going to the lights IF YOU DO THIS be sure to install a diode in the wire going back to the module to prevent back feeding (easy to install where you tee into the existing wire.

Hope this helps

Old 03-19-2018, 08:39 PM
grouperjim
Senior User

Jim

Jim,

If I can't get the spots to come on with a blinker the upfitter option would definitely be a great second choice. Please keep us informed on your progress. Great idea.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:45 PM
docup!
Junior User
I’ve used these lights before but they just don’t put out any light. They need to be 5x or 10x brighter. Seeing they go off at 6mph they should have put some decent watts in there. Anyone know if a new led light can be put on to increase the output.

Old 03-20-2018, 05:36 AM
rwilimo
Fleet Mechanic
Question for anyone that mounted IN the rear bumper - how did you cut the hole in the rear bumper.

I have a 17 Platinum with painted bumper. I like the look of flush mounted rear mounted lights and am thinking of adding some.

I may attach the lights under the rear bumper, but think the in bumper mount looks cleaner - plus the light would be better protected.

Thanks - Jim
Cover the area with masking tape, draw out shape, drill the corners and jigsaw with the proper blade.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:14 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by docup!
I’ve used these lights before but they just don’t put out any light. They need to be 5x or 10x brighter. Seeing they go off at 6mph they should have put some decent watts in there. Anyone know if a new led light can be put on to increase the output.
The existing LED light is soldered into a circuit board and is not a replaceable bulb. Maybe the aftermarket will eventually come up with a complete replacement. I'd like the lights to be brighter, but they are better than nothing. Ford still has to follow DMVSS rules in order to be able to sell the trucks...