2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

2018 f-350 Lariat vs King Ranch

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 09:11 PM
expy03
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cficare
When ordering my 2017 F250, LED headlights were a must-have for me, and the panoramic roof was a deal breaker. I read somewhere that the KR trim level was the only 2017 model with which one could get LEDs without the big hole in the roof. I'm also not a fan of chrome, so painted bumpers appeal to me (I can repair paint, but not chrome). And besides, a Lariat is kind of an everyday sort of truck ... I wanted something that stood out a bit.
I agree with cficare. I had a Lariat with the tan interior and there was nothing special about it. I bought the KR because I do like the leather and the two tone interior. It also had most of the options I wanted including the LED lights and the chrome package with the tailgate appliqué. Bottom line is you have to buy what you love.

Old 03-08-2018, 09:41 PM
Chris Karsseboom
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Saying you have a lariat means absolutely nothing. There is a huge difference in price and options between a base lariat and a ultimate with all options. My lariat was 76,000 how much more is a fully loaded king ranch?

Old 03-08-2018, 11:20 PM
Barbero
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For us it was the seats. My wife sat in a Lariat that I had optioned out the way I wanted it and did not like the comfort or the padding or the structure of the Lariat seats. King Ranch, Platinum, and Limited all have the high-end sculptured seats (and yes you can also get the massaging feature)... So a completely different seat with higher end leather. We tow a trailer and sit on our butts for hours on end. Seats were important...

Old 03-08-2018, 11:30 PM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
A man should always find his wife's seat important. When we upgrade from our current Lariat, we expect to go with a KR or higher. The better seats and, specifically, the heated steering wheel, are both things I want in the next truck. That said, the 10-way power seats with the lumbar in the Lariat aren't bad.

Old 03-09-2018, 12:09 AM
blolmaugh
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris Karsseboom
Saying you have a lariat means absolutely nothing. There is a huge difference in price and options between a base lariat and a ultimate with all options. My lariat was 76,000 how much more is a fully loaded king ranch?
I went PLatnium becasue i wanted painted bumpers. It cost be 79,000 sticker. I figured for 3k, i could get a couple grand more when i sell it. It had painted bumpers and i wanted 1 tone. It i could have got 1 color in KR I probably would have for the interior color not black. But since i could not i went Platinum. The massaging seats are nice on long trips.

Old 03-09-2018, 05:48 AM
zeroo
Cargo Master
Received 493 Likes on 273 Posts
I used to buy king ranch but started getting the lariat ultimate instead because it was cheaper. Now it’s about the same.

Old 03-09-2018, 08:35 AM
GT4point6
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by expy03

I agree with cficare. I had a Lariat with the tan interior and there was nothing special about it. I bought the KR because I do like the leather and the two tone interior. It also had most of the options I wanted including the LED lights and the chrome package with the tailgate appliqué. Bottom line is you have to buy what you love.
LED's are still optional on the KR, not a standard feature. Now if the one you found on the lot had this option, that makes sense.
$1600 feature after you add BLIS, can't have one with the other.

Old 03-09-2018, 10:07 AM
Bill_The_PA
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GT4point6
LED's are still optional on the KR, not a standard feature. Now if the one you found on the lot had this option, that makes sense.
$1600 feature after you add BLIS, can't have one with the other.
seems to me that LEDs were $1200 as a Canadian option and BLIS is $650 but separate option items. Both together is $1650 Cdn.

Old 03-09-2018, 12:34 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,719 Likes on 2,755 Posts
The main reason I didn't get the King Ranch was that I didn't like all the bling. My Lariat is optioned up to have just about everything a King Ranch does except for the special leather seats and the the massage feature.

Old 03-09-2018, 12:48 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 535 Likes on 259 Posts
Originally Posted by Barbero
For us it was the seats. My wife sat in a Lariat that I had optioned out the way I wanted it and did not like the comfort or the padding or the structure of the Lariat seats. King Ranch, Platinum, and Limited all have the high-end sculptured seats (and yes you can also get the massaging feature)... So a completely different seat with higher end leather. We tow a trailer and sit on our butts for hours on end. Seats were important...
Hate to break it to you but the seats are actually identical in terms of padding and structure. The leather is different, the stitching patterns are different, the physical amount of leather vs vinyl content is different...I give you all that...but the steel and aluminum structure of the seat, the heated / cooling elements, and the foam padding...is identical. You do (or can) get the massaging feature, which will change the way the seat feels a little bit. I've completely disassembled 2017 Super Duty seats, and I can confirm they are exactly the same. Don't get too carried away by the quality of Ford leather even on high-end trims...typically the aftermarket Katzkin leather many XLT owners are upgrading to is thicker and nicer than Platinum leather. BUT...if it felt more comfortable to you, I'm happy you got what felt best and that you are comfortable. That's all that counts.

Originally Posted by HRTKD
The main reason I didn't get the King Ranch was that I didn't like all the bling. My Lariat is optioned up to have just about everything a King Ranch does except for the special leather seats and the the massage feature.
There are subtle upgrades the KR offers over even a fully loaded Lariat. My 2017 F-350 dually Lariat Ultimate was mid $70k range as well...but was missing some of the small niceties a discerning luxury buyer might notice. For example, the climate and radio ***** are a different design on the KR and up than they are on the Lariat. They are a nicer, knurled design. The KR has nicer rear door padded armrests and soft upper door trim. KR, Plat, and Ltd trims have actual real wood inserts in the doors and on the media bin cover...not the fake Lariat wood. Nicer trims get black headliners and pillars instead of grey.

I had a 2016 KR and a 2017 Lariat Ultimate as I mentioned. Very, very happy with both. But I did notice the small touches the KR offered which made it feel more special. Just my opinion.

Old 03-09-2018, 02:51 PM
Bill_The_PA
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by troverman
Hate to break it to you but the seats are actually identical in terms of padding and structure. The leather is different, the stitching patterns are different, the physical amount of leather vs vinyl content is different...I give you all that...but the steel and aluminum structure of the seat, the heated / cooling elements, and the foam padding...is identical. You do (or can) get the massaging feature, which will change the way the seat feels a little bit. I've completely disassembled 2017 Super Duty seats, and I can confirm they are exactly the same. Don't get too carried away by the quality of Ford leather even on high-end trims...typically the aftermarket Katzkin leather many XLT owners are upgrading to is thicker and nicer than Platinum leather. BUT...if it felt more comfortable to you, I'm happy you got what felt best and that you are comfortable. That's all that counts.

There are subtle upgrades the KR offers over even a fully loaded Lariat. My 2017 F-350 dually Lariat Ultimate was mid $70k range as well...but was missing some of the small niceties a discerning luxury buyer might notice. For example, the climate and radio ***** are a different design on the KR and up than they are on the Lariat. They are a nicer, knurled design. The KR has nicer rear door padded armrests and soft upper door trim. KR, Plat, and Ltd trims have actual real wood inserts in the doors and on the media bin cover...not the fake Lariat wood. Nicer trims get black headliners and pillars instead of grey.

I had a 2016 KR and a 2017 Lariat Ultimate as I mentioned. Very, very happy with both. But I did notice the small touches the KR offered which made it feel more special. Just my opinion.
yeah agreed. That’s Y I said from a functioning perspective, massaging seats so for me it just wasn’t worth the money and I have had back surgery. I might regret that decision. I still feel your better off taking a Lariat to an Automotive upholsterer and let then rework the seat to something unique and of a higher quality. Perhaps there is an aftermarket massaging option out there too. I can’t remember the exact $ amount difference but it was significant to me.

Old 03-09-2018, 04:19 PM
gray.dan1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are the massaging seats available for 2018 models? I know they were in 2017 but didn't see these on the build site for 2018. Did I miss that somewhere?

Old 03-09-2018, 04:24 PM
Bill_The_PA
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by gray.dan1
Are the massaging seats available for 2018 models? I know they were in 2017 but didn't see these on the build site for 2018. Did I miss that somewhere?
I believe there included with the higher end King Ranch pkg. but not 100%. Only know that entry level is the KR

Old 03-10-2018, 11:22 PM
Faceplant409
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I sat in a KR a couple years ago and found that the logo cutout/stitching in the seat backs was annoying.
Plus im not a bling guy.
I went for a Lariat Ultimate without chrome pkg.
Had to special order as I did not want moonroof and most higher pkg trucks are ordered with it...

Old 03-11-2018, 12:05 AM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This time it was KR. I don't live in a platinum area!
Attachment 285113

Quick Reply: 2018 f-350 Lariat vs King Ranch