2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

2018 f-350 Lariat vs King Ranch

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 07:06 AM
Fordguy581
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 f-350 Lariat vs King Ranch

Hello everyone,
I am going to be buying a 2018 f-350 but I'm undecided on if I should buy a lariat or King Ranch, would you know what are the differences?
Thanks

Old 03-08-2018, 08:01 AM
traveldawg
More Turbo
Received 137 Likes on 92 Posts
We got a Lariat instead of a King Cab simply because we didn't like what Ford did with the leather color scheme in 2018. We gave up massaging seats and a moon roof (neither of which were originally on our wish-list anyway). Did't like the Platinum interior color either.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:19 AM
bitNine
Senior User
Aside from included options, the leather differences are one big thing, and the inability to get the 40/20/40 front seat in the KR and higher packages. Personally, I can't stand the ugly-*** leather in the KR, so I am going for a loaded Lariat. Problem is nobody has anything like that in stock. "accent-color bumper" and two-tone paint are also included. I also noticed that you can't get Magnetic paint on the KR, which is so weird.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:19 AM
Gary E
Laughing Gas
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I like the idea of king ranch but I don’t like the typical color schemes. The interior looks worn and dingey looking quickly. Overall I am not a fan of tan interior for this reason. The regular joe thinks lariat is the top of the line. Mine is the lariat value package and everyone thinks it’s fully loaded with all the options, I stopped trying to correct them. I don’t care for all the extra badging and tailgate panel on the kr. I think as far as resale base lariat is your best bet. Of course I am biased though

Old 03-08-2018, 09:01 AM
C12H24
Posting Guru
Received 503 Likes on 264 Posts
Short answer; King Ranch has more stuff.

Longer answer; Ford's site is fairly comprehensive in breaking down the package differences and every detail will be there for you. You can also search for the '18 order guide which also details the differences. I found it easier to use the order guide to do my build dream sheet.

Old 03-08-2018, 09:17 AM
fleming23
Tuned
Received 76 Likes on 47 Posts
The leather color alone turns me off from a KR. You'll have to decide for yourself, but you can get a Lariat with 99% of the same options if desired.

Old 03-08-2018, 09:21 AM
Robb81
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There isn't much you can get on a King Ranch that is not available on the Lariat.
Really it's just a matter of if you want the King Ranch logo and interior.

Study the brochure and see what suits you best.

Old 03-08-2018, 09:57 AM
DRKBC
Senior User
Originally Posted by Gary E
I like the idea of king ranch but I don’t like the typical color schemes. The interior looks worn and dingey looking quickly. Overall I am not a fan of tan interior for this reason. The regular joe thinks lariat is the top of the line. Mine is the lariat value package and everyone thinks it’s fully loaded with all the options, I stopped trying to correct them. I don’t care for all the extra badging and tailgate panel on the kr. I think as far as resale base lariat is your best bet. Of course I am biased though
I completely agree. I think if you want some of the options that come standard on Lariat (I wanted factory leather) then it is good value when compared to the upper trims. You can add pretty much everything to the Lariat that you can to the KR, Platinum and Limited but the bonus is you don't have to. If you like the KR interior and badging that is one thing as it is very unique. Platinum and limited don't change a whole lot other than the interiors and grills and such. I have a loaded Lariat and really I want for nothing, actually there are a few options it came with that I wouldn't miss if I didn't have them, which tells me for what I spent I got as much (maybe actually a little more) truck than I need. Base Lariat with a few options that are important to you is hard to beat.

Old 03-08-2018, 10:00 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts
A King Ranch is special; a Lariat is just a nice truck. I've had both. While I'm not sure the King Ranch leather is actually any "better" than Lariat leather, it is a different color and there is more of it. The center console is covered with actual leather in the KR, not vinyl like in the Lariat. The dashboard and steering wheel are a brown color in the KR vs black in the Lariat. The wood trim on the doors is real (and nicer) in the KR, fake in the Lariat. There is more padding on the upper part of the rear doors in the KR vs the Lariat. Beyond that, there is standard equipment, and the exterior trim appearance. I prefer the standard tailgate style and not the bright applique, but I do like the full two-tone color scheme on the KR and the KR badges are nice.

The modern KR trucks do not age any faster on the inside than a Lariat truck, contrary to the above info. The original Super Duty King Ranches did have this problem when genuine cowboy leather was used; the new trucks are low maintenance cheaper leather.

Old 03-08-2018, 10:06 AM
Jde2466
Freshman User
The KR and Platinum leather just feels better. Test drive a Lariat and then a KR, the feel is just much better in the KR. Also, don't sleep on the massaging seats. If you do any sort of road trip driving they are worth it.

Old 03-08-2018, 12:21 PM
Tall Timbers
Cross-Country
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Robb81
There isn't much you can get on a King Ranch that is not available on the Lariat.
Really it's just a matter of if you want the King Ranch logo and interior.

Study the brochure and see what suits you best.
Yeah, I originally found that the King Ranch had everything I wanted, but then I went with the Platinum because I didn't want the King Ranch logo and interior. I'll get a couple of bells and whistles I didn't need with a truck I'll like the looks of a little better.

Old 03-08-2018, 04:34 PM
Fordguy581
Freshman User
Thanks for all the input,
I think I will buy the lariat since I like the color better and I don't care about the badges, and it still has all the features I want, so I think it is the best option in my case.

Old 03-08-2018, 04:57 PM
Bill_The_PA
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Fordguy581
Hello everyone,
I am going to be buying a 2018 f-350 but I'm undecided on if I should buy a lariat or King Ranch, would you know what are the differences?
Thanks
there is only one functional difference Messaging seats. If you absolutely don’t need then save a bunch of money and but some awesome after market seat covers, as that is really the only aesthetic difference. If your building that F-350 you better get on it before the ‘19 get put on the line in early April.

Old 03-08-2018, 05:07 PM
cficare
Cargo Master
Received 330 Likes on 195 Posts
When ordering my 2017 F250, LED headlights were a must-have for me, and the panoramic roof was a deal breaker. I read somewhere that the KR trim level was the only 2017 model with which one could get LEDs without the big hole in the roof. I'm also not a fan of chrome, so painted bumpers appeal to me (I can repair paint, but not chrome). And besides, a Lariat is kind of an everyday sort of truck ... I wanted something that stood out a bit.

Old 03-08-2018, 06:33 PM
GT4point6
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are a lot of people who complain about the paint chips in the front bumpers for models with painted bumpers, like the KR. Chrome is much harder than paint, will last longer, but doesn't appeal to everyone.
Some even order the KR, then pay for the chrome pkg to get rid of the painted bumpers.

I had painted bumpers on my 05 F250 Sport, rocks are not kind to painted front bumpers. Paint is considerably softer than chrome.

YMWV

Quick Reply: 2018 f-350 Lariat vs King Ranch