Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels  

new to vehicles, need suspension advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 02:56 PM
BanaBanuFerry
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question new to vehicles, need suspension advice

So I just started driving this year and my first vehicle is going to be a 1987 ford f-150 ..4 wheel drive. I really don't know a whole lot about the mechanics of vehicles (so if anyone can think of a helpful site or something to direct me to that would be appreciated). I know suspension is what makes your ride smooth...or not smooth...but that's about it. Could someone tell me anything about how it works and what needs to be done when the suspension is shot? Does anyone have any idea how much it would cost to fix? Any info would be helpful. thanks!

Felicia

Old 09-17-2003, 10:09 AM
RRMike
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
new to vehicles, need suspension advice

First off welcome to FTE

Well suspension is a pretty broad term. I would define suspension as all the parts that keep the truck riding on the axles. Hopefully not touching. Different vehicles have different types of suspension. The suspension on these vehicles is comprised of dozens of parts that some have in common and some do or don't have. Generally the suspension isn't shot. One part or a few are bad and people throw a blanket statement like "the suspension is shot". The springs may be sagging and need replacing, the bushings may be worn leaving play in the suspension and making noise or making it impossible to align. I would say if you have specific problems with that truck post about the symptoms here or in the vehicle specific forum and include details about what the truck is doing and you will probably get some help.

Remember that some things just can't be done over the interned though. Sometimes people end up having to take their rigs to a shop because all of us can't figure it out without being there.

Last edited by RRMike; 09-17-2003 at 10:11 AM.