2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

1 inch rear lift to level my truck from a front level kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 11:17 AM
J Standard
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You should be able to buy a spacer kit for your airbags so you can level the rear without running a ton of air, should be able to get that perfect stance while towing and enjoy riding on air with a firm ride.

Old 03-11-2018, 12:19 PM
CO Wapiti
Elder User
Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by J Standard
You should be able to buy a spacer kit for your airbags so you can level the rear without running a ton of air, should be able to get that perfect stance while towing and enjoy riding on air with a firm ride.
yeah, I have lift spacers on my Firestone air bags to accommodate the lift that’s on my Dodge so the first thing I did is call Air Lift, which I have on my Super Duty, and they offer nothing to accommodate any sort of lift. Their bottom bracket uses the curvature of the factory bump stop tang and this is why I opted to just use the simple one inch blocks under the factory blocks. This way I won’t have to modify the Air Lift system other than replacing their 10 inch carriage bolts with 12 inch ones and then cut them to fit. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 03-11-2018, 12:23 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by CO Wapiti

yeah, I have lift spacers on my Firestone air bags to accommodate the lift that’s on my Dodge so the first thing I did is call Air Lift, which I have on my Super Duty, and they offer nothing to accommodate any sort of lift. Their bottom bracket uses the curvature of the factory bump stop tang and this is why I opted to just use the simple one inch blocks under the factory blocks. This way I won’t have to modify the Air Lift system other than replacing their 10 inch carriage bolts with 12 inch ones and then cut them to fit. Thanks for the suggestion.
You need Daystar Cradles, they do exactly what you are looking for. Stacking blocks is a really bad idea.

Daystar? - Driven by Design

Old 03-11-2018, 11:18 PM
miniwally
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Summit Racing has some spacers that are supposedly from AirLift and look to be the same diameter as the bags and just bolt up to the bottom of the bags. They come in 2"-4" and I want to say 6" kits but the spacers are just 1" blocks.

Stacking blocks is not the greatest thing, in fact it's pretty bad honestly. I would be looking at something different if it was me.

Old 03-12-2018, 03:28 PM
CO Wapiti
Elder User
Originally Posted by Tricon
You need Daystar Cradles, they do exactly what you are looking for. Stacking blocks is a really bad idea.

Daystar? - Driven by Design
Tricon, you're respected on this sight and I'm not questioning your's and MiniWilly's know how but here is some of my reasoning in just adding a 1 inch spacer block. I originally got the idea from Ford themselves. They experienced a lot of left leaning rear ends and their fix was a 1/2 to 3/4 inch spacer which is supposed to go along with a 3 7/8 inch factory block (05 f350). I figured 1/4 more inch wouldn't be a big deal.
Also, Rough Country does exactly what I want to do too for their 08 F150 level kit. They add a 1 inch spacer block to stack with the factory block if the customer wants to maintain a bit of rake.
Hear are the links. What do you think? I'd never would try and stack two, let's say, 3 inch blocks together but would there actually be that much force on a 1 inch solid spacer block below a 3 inch factory block. I'll probably abort what I want to do but it really seams like my only option to maintain good ride quality and lift only 1 inch with my current air bag system that has jounce bumpers inside of them (they are like bump stops). The positioning of these bags is critical as not to constantly hit those jounce bumpers.
Here are the links I was talking about. I'd like to hear your feedback. Thanks
2.5in Leveling Lift Kit for 04-08 Ford F-150 Pickup Rough Country Suspension Systems®

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Ford TSB for shimming.pdf (130.6 KB, 57 views)
Old 03-12-2018, 03:50 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
The reason you don't is two fold, larger blocks increase axle wrap and you need longer ubolts to hold the assembly. Longer ubolts tend to stretch more which means the coupling between the blocks is now looser and you're also applying more force there. It's a compounding issue.

Now, what's the likelyhood? I couldn't tell you, but it seems like you actually off-road your truck and do you really want to be 60 miles out in the bush when you collapse a block? If you're street-queening your truck, then sure, probably won't be an issue other than the increased axle wrap.

Here's a quick blurb from 4 Wheel Parts:

One​​​​One thing to keep an eye on with regards to lift blocks are the u-bolts. Longer ones tend to stretch and loosen up, so you should regularly retorque them for safety. That’s one reason why you never, ever stack lift blocks because they can collapse more easily if the u-bolts become even slightly loose. Most of the time, you can combine blocks with lifted leaf springs but you should never install blocks up front. You might survive a rear lift block collapse but, since the steering is up front, it makes for a more critical situation if it happens there.
https://www.4wheelparts.com/buyers-guide-reviews/lift-kit-how-to-leaf-springs.aspx

So, where does that leave you?

I think the Daystar cradles are your best bet, but I'm not sure with your jounce bumpers. They seem to be there most popular with guys that are doing exactly what you're doing. You can also look at long travel bags, but those are more money and you're replacing parts you've already bought, which sucks.

You could do a rear shackle with a larger bump maybe? Or an add a leaf? I'm not sure without understanding your exact setup and the measurements of the components, etc.

Old 03-12-2018, 04:04 PM
brandon4
Fleet Mechanic
Received 282 Likes on 131 Posts

5" block in back of this. 2.5" up front. Stock shocks work fine.

Old 03-12-2018, 04:06 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Also, are you sure your jounce bumpers aren't too far apart as is? You shouldn't need to add as much air as you do to level it out.

Ultimately, a 1 in block probably isn't going to ruin your day, but I like to not have to worry about that crap.

Old 03-12-2018, 04:06 PM
brandon4
Fleet Mechanic
I too am bugged when I hook on my 12k lb tongue pull. With only 1" extra in the back it wasn't enough. So I added 2". They have bump stop pads too.

Jack-it.com out of Utah. 150 bucks incl u bolts.

I ran stock shocks for a month. They worked fine but I added Bilteins. Now it rides like a German car.

Old 03-12-2018, 05:23 PM
Conrad Fleischmann
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brandon4

5" block in back of this. 2.5" up front. Stock shocks work fine.
What kinda flares are those?

truck looks sweet!

Old 03-12-2018, 08:23 PM
CO Wapiti
Elder User
Originally Posted by Tricon
Also, are you sure your jounce bumpers aren't too far apart as is? You shouldn't need to add as much air as you do to level it out.

Ultimately, a 1 in block probably isn't going to ruin your day, but I like to not have to worry about that crap.
I’m figuring I have over 600 pounds between my shell, camper kit and all of the gear that stays in the truck all of the time so I have definitely lost some height back there. Those damn jounce bumpers don’t give you chit for travel before they engage. My tongue weight must be pretty darn heavy because it really does take a lot of air to level it out. I get the best ride at around 45 pounds and that’s about 45 pounds short of leveling it. I really like those PMF blocks. I’m going to give them a call tomorrow and see it they’ll fab some blocks to my specs. After removing my bags and taking a close look at them I figured I can bolt them directly to the PMF blocks with air bag supports and get rid of a lot of brackets and bolts. I do appreciate your feedback and like you, I don’t want to worry about chit like that. Yes, I’m on some pretty rough roads but it’s always at a turtles pace compared to you desert racers!

Old 03-12-2018, 08:31 PM
jnuechte
Tuned
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
So you want an unlevel kit for your level kit? Sorry had to. I want the exact same thing. Level kit looks great but add any weight and you have the horrid cali lean (rear end sag).

For this reason I plan to use the carli (deavers) full rear leaf pack with provides a 1" rake in the rear over the front 2.5" lift.

Old 03-12-2018, 08:49 PM
brandon4
Fleet Mechanic
Bushwacker Street Flares

Old 03-12-2018, 08:55 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by jnuechte
So you want an unlevel kit for your level kit? Sorry had to. I want the exact same thing. Level kit looks great but add any weight and you have the horrid cali lean (rear end sag).

For this reason I plan to use the carli (deavers) full rear leaf pack with provides a 1" rake in the rear over the front 2.5" lift.
This is a really bad idea, you'll have one of the best riding super duties out there, but you'll lose about 1000 lbs of payload. You'll sag, way more than stock even, as soon as you hook up a trailer.

Check out Atlas Spring here in CA, they do a boat load of race trucks, but they also make commercial springs and aftermarket truck springs. Take a look at their Expedition models. They are supposedly a better street ride as well as specifically designed for towing and payload. I think that's eventually the way I'll go myself, just can't give up that payload, but I know you can do better than the oem ride.

Old 03-12-2018, 10:10 PM
CO Wapiti
Elder User
Originally Posted by brandon4
I too am bugged when I hook on my 12k lb tongue pull. With only 1" extra in the back it wasn't enough. So I added 2". They have bump stop pads too.

Jack-it.com out of Utah. 150 bucks incl u bolts.

I ran stock shocks for a month. They worked fine but I added Bilteins. Now it rides like a German car.
awesome looking truck! I’m going to stick with a one inch because I don’t want to have my brand new expensive Fox shocks rebuilt. There are a lot of great shops were you live from what I can see. Ever watch the Diesel Brothers? I’m not sure they’re on again this season.

Quick Reply: 1 inch rear lift to level my truck from a front level kit