C6 rebuild kit suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 07:48 PM
Russ74
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C6 rebuild kit suggestions

So I’ve come to the conclusion that I need to rebuild my transmission. I fried it with the wrong fluid. I’ve built many motors over the years but never a transmission. But, I think I can handle it. I’ve purchased the SA manual and I’ve got YouTube close by. My question is which kit to buy. I’ve seen several options. The trans was shifting fine before I burned up the clutches. So I don’t think I need a huge kit that replaces every part in it. I’m in the neighborhood of 450 hp and 500 ft lbs of torque with the big block stroker I’ve built. So I need something that will hold up to that. Truck is a 74 F100 2wd. 445 FE stroker. Truck is a street beater. Won’t likely ever see a track.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:56 AM
Braggs
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I rebuilt my own C6 but I am far from an expert on the subject but I had similar questions when ordering my kit. When looking around on e-bay, there are a wide variety of kits available, some with all the parts, and some with only some of the parts. For me, I wanted to make sure to replace the filter, all the steels and frictions, as well as all the seals and bushings... Pretty much a complete rebuild. The servo will need to be ordered separately and should match the servo cover (or order yourself an aftermarket servo somewhere else for more holding power).

Something you might consider (which I did on my transmission) is to replace the pressure plate in the forward and low/reverse drums with a pressure plate modified to add an extra steel and friction. This was a factory option on several models of the C6 (not some aftermarket hack) and will give you more holding power in the clutch packs (less slipping, less heat, longer life, etc). Don't worry about the kit because it should already contain these extra steels and frictions as they have been made generic for all models of C6. Here's a link showing the pressure plate:
C6 Direct Clutch Stepped Pressure Plate - Broader Performance
Low/Rev Clutch Stepped Pressure Plate - Broader Performance

Another thing you might consider is changing the servo and lever. Following the information on this other forum, the firmness of the shifts between gears can be increased by changing the servo and lever. Harder shifts means less slipping, less heat, and longer life.
https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-...vos-and-levers

You'll want to install an aftermarket "shift kit" as it will contain instructions to drill a certain hole in the valve body to improve lubrication in the transmission as well as replacement springs and things to improve the transmission operation.

Another thing that people do to improve the power capability of the C6 transmission is to get a hardened sun shell. This shell has notches around it which mesh with the cogs of the direct drum. If you put too much power to the front of the tranny, the metal of the shell can bend and ruin your transmission.

Another thing that people do to improve the power handling of the C6 is changing out the planetaries and increasing the number of gear cogs in them from 3 up to 5. Couple this with a hardened ring gear and it just keeps getting stronger.

If you want to free up a few horses, replacing the thrust washers with needle bearings will allow the parts to spin more freely.

Eh, that's all I can think of for now. I hope others add to the list.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:16 AM
Russ74
Senior User
Originally Posted by Braggs
I rebuilt my own C6 but I am far from an expert on the subject but I had similar questions when ordering my kit. When looking around on e-bay, there are a wide variety of kits available, some with all the parts, and some with only some of the parts. For me, I wanted to make sure to replace the filter, all the steels and frictions, as well as all the seals and bushings... Pretty much a complete rebuild. The servo will need to be ordered separately and should match the servo cover (or order yourself an aftermarket servo somewhere else for more holding power).

Something you might consider (which I did on my transmission) is to replace the pressure plate in the forward and low/reverse drums with a pressure plate modified to add an extra steel and friction. This was a factory option on several models of the C6 (not some aftermarket hack) and will give you more holding power in the clutch packs (less slipping, less heat, longer life, etc). Don't worry about the kit because it should already contain these extra steels and frictions as they have been made generic for all models of C6. Here's a link showing the pressure plate:
C6 Direct Clutch Stepped Pressure Plate - Broader Performance
Low/Rev Clutch Stepped Pressure Plate - Broader Performance

Another thing you might consider is changing the servo and lever. Following the information on this other forum, the firmness of the shifts between gears can be increased by changing the servo and lever. Harder shifts means less slipping, less heat, and longer life.
https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-...vos-and-levers

You'll want to install an aftermarket "shift kit" as it will contain instructions to drill a certain hole in the valve body to improve lubrication in the transmission as well as replacement springs and things to improve the transmission operation.

Another thing that people do to improve the power capability of the C6 transmission is to get a hardened sun shell. This shell has notches around it which mesh with the cogs of the direct drum. If you put too much power to the front of the tranny, the metal of the shell can bend and ruin your transmission.

Another thing that people do to improve the power handling of the C6 is changing out the planetaries and increasing the number of gear cogs in them from 3 up to 5. Couple this with a hardened ring gear and it just keeps getting stronger.

If you want to free up a few horses, replacing the thrust washers with needle bearings will allow the parts to spin more freely.

Eh, that's all I can think of for now. I hope others add to the list.
Thanks for the reply. Lots of great info there! I will consider the upgrades you spoke of. I plan on pulling the trans out this weekend and starting the tear down. I’m sure I’ll be back on this thread with questions as I go.

Old 03-02-2018, 10:38 AM
xXANBXx
Junior User
Im in the same boat with you. My C6 has hardened seals and engaging slowly. Ive been looking at rebuild kits, shift kits, theres so much i almost want to pull it and just swap in a monster built c6 and be done with it.

Old 03-02-2018, 11:59 AM
Russ74
Senior User
Originally Posted by xXANBXx
Im in the same boat with you. My C6 has hardened seals and engaging slowly. Ive been looking at rebuild kits, shift kits, theres so much i almost want to pull it and just swap in a monster built c6 and be done with it.
Well I just spent a small fortune building the big block stroker for this truck. I high end transmission isn’t in the budget for me.

Old 03-02-2018, 01:36 PM
Braggs
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Russ74
Well I just spent a small fortune building the big block stroker for this truck. I high end transmission isn’t in the budget for me.
I'm skeptical of the online stores and that stuff is waaaay overpriced. I've looked at their kits, boxed transmissions, watched their videos about "what they do"... It's all the same things as mentioned above including a vat bath and paint job. You're paying for the branding, imho.

Old 03-02-2018, 01:55 PM
Russ74
Senior User
I’ve been in contact with Ken at Bad Shoe. He’s been very helpful. I ordered his video on the C6 and also the one on 9” differentials. I plan to rebuild mine and add a traction-loc.

Old 03-02-2018, 01:58 PM
Russ74
Senior User
I’ll also likely be ordering my trans kit from him. He carries most everything I’ll need.