Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with turn signals and brake lights please.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 11:06 AM
Geoff Adams
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with turn signals and brake lights please.

Hey all recent new member here with first post. I recently bought a ‘91 f150 xlt lariat 5.0 w/aod. There is this problem that I think is related to the turn signal switch. I have searched this forum and haven’t quite found my problem. First off the turn signal bulbs all work but just blink extremely fast. More of a flicker than a blink. However the left rear bulb doesn’t light with the brake lights or the hazard flasher. But it flickers with the signal light. They don’t all flicker just the side you actuate. Now I believe the brake lights share the same wire through the turn signal switch as the turn and hazard lights. Please correct me if I am wrong.
I haven’t changed out any parts yet as I want to be sure and not just through parts at it and hope it fixes it. Also the switch lever doesn’t “click” into place when you try to activate it. Just limply hangs for right turn and flops for left. It will cancel though when the wheel returns. Could this broken detents in the switch be cause and should it be replaced or just repaired?
The truck also has cruise controls in the steering wheel are they a player here or just a cost booster for replacement parts?
I am retired so the truck is just to “play” with and not needed for transportation. I look forward to any help you might offer and for sure I will be back as this is not it’s only problem. No fuel gauge, rear pump, hood release cable and needs exhaust real bad and so forth. I’ve lots to do.

Thanks in advance for your time and trouble.

Geoff

Old 02-27-2018, 01:25 PM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to the forums Geoff.

Typically a fast blinking turn signal means a bulb is burned out, thus a lower resistance seen by the blinker relay which will cause it to blink faster.

With the issue with the loose turn signal switch, I might start with that? If it is shorting internally then it could cause fast blinking.

Yes, the brake light and the rear turn signals are the SAME wires going to the back. They combine in the turn signal switch to determine what happens in the back.

The brake switch activates power to the turn signal switch. With nothing activated, the brake lights both light up. Once you operate the turn signal, it then blinks the bulb on the correct side(leaving the other on constant).

Old 02-27-2018, 05:35 PM
Geoff Adams
New User
Thanks for the reply. It's been a really long time since I've done any auto electric work (40yrs approx.) so I wasn't sure if that still held true. I am planning to replace the switch this weekend if all goes according to plan. Will let you know how it goes.

Geoff

p.s. "Freightrain" railroader? ex? just curious. I retired with 26 1/2 yrs in 2013. 8 roads trying to get my 30 in. Oh well, it's done now.

Old 02-28-2018, 05:48 AM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
No, just a rail fan all my life. Dad was into HO scale and very active in Nat Model Railroader Assoc. I had layout growing up. Been packed away for 30+ yrs now. Someday like to play with it again?

I did get to operate an old RS-3 last year about this time. "Drive a train" for an hour at local Preservation society. Got to run it up and down the tracks. Really cool bucket list kinda thing.

Old 03-08-2018, 04:47 PM
Geoff Adams
New User
Well here’s an update to my problem so far. I discovered that the blink rate ( actually more of a flicker) could be corrected by a new flasher, heavy duty type. Also replacing the turn signal switch solved the left rear brake light issue as well. Now both brake lights work as designed in brake mode, hazard mode and signal mode.

Stumbled on to a fix for another problem by accident. While deciding to hack the floor of the bed to get at the fuel pumps, I took a chance and tried the rear pump. Standing outside the cab and with the 7”x10” hole in the bed floor, I was able to hear that the rear pump came on when cycling the key. Something unable to do alone with the bed floor covering it. I tried to start the truck but no go. So wondering if by chance I just needed gas, I poured in a convenient 5gal can and tried again and voila!! It runs and bonus is that the gauge for the rear works also. So I’ll just be running on the rear tank with the front for reserve if needed.

Now I just need to lengthen the driveshaft about 2” to put enough yoke into the rear extension housing and replace the front u-joint to quell that horrible vibration.
A new set of tires and the rest is visual which ain’t all that important if it runs like it’s supposed to.

So for now the list gets shortened.

Geoff

Last edited by Geoff Adams; 03-08-2018 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 05-27-2018, 03:37 PM
ITMAC101
New User
Added led lights to my truck

I have a simular Problem, I just put a flat bed on my truck and add LED lights on my Truck. The turn signals blink fast how can I fix this?

Old 05-27-2018, 03:47 PM
White 97 xlt
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ITMAC101
I have a simular Problem, I just put a flat bed on my truck and add LED lights on my Truck. The turn signals blink fast how can I fix this?
Add resistors to the LED bulbs or replace them with the correct bulb!!!