Ford Trailer camera kit REQUIRES dealer install or vehicle warranty voided?!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 04:48 PM
JetFuelBurner
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Trailer camera kit REQUIRES dealer install or vehicle warranty voided?!?

Posted in the 2017 SD forum and decided to copy here.

Just dropped my 5er off at the dealer for service and to install the TPMS sensors and the rediculous 50’ chord for the camera. I am having it installed through the pin box, through the over-bed, into the fwd utility area, down to the chassis, back to the right rear, up the right rear corner and over to the mount. The dealer went over the instructions and said that it says that if anyone else but a ford dealer installs it that it voids my vehicle warranty. Uuuuhhhh...WHAT??! How does installing a camera on my trailer void my vehicle warranty? Anyone? Is it possible they’re talking about the camera receptacle in the trucks bumper or something? I’m out at work burning Jet Fuel and can’t access any info right now. Plus I need to see if I can get an extension as the 50’ chord isn’t long enough.

Now I just got off the phone with the parts department and there’s no extender chord available for the kit?

Is is anyone else having this problem. My 5er isn’t even that big at 35 feet. I now have a $725 camera kit that I can’t use.

HELP!

Thanks

Old 02-24-2018, 01:20 AM
Beast2017
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JetFuelBurner
Posted in the 2017 SD forum and decided to copy here.

Just dropped my 5er off at the dealer for service and to install the TPMS sensors and the rediculous 50’ chord for the camera. I am having it installed through the pin box, through the over-bed, into the fwd utility area, down to the chassis, back to the right rear, up the right rear corner and over to the mount. The dealer went over the instructions and said that it says that if anyone else but a ford dealer installs it that it voids my vehicle warranty. Uuuuhhhh...WHAT??! How does installing a camera on my trailer void my vehicle warranty? Anyone? Is it possible they’re talking about the camera receptacle in the trucks bumper or something? I’m out at work burning Jet Fuel and can’t access any info right now. Plus I need to see if I can get an extension as the 50’ chord isn’t long enough.

Now I just got off the phone with the parts department and there’s no extender chord available for the kit?

Is is anyone else having this problem. My 5er isn’t even that big at 35 feet. I now have a $725 camera kit that I can’t use.

HELP!

Thanks
I need to have mine installed been a year and haven’t done so yet I’ll keep you informed on what happens planning to do it this month

Old 02-24-2018, 07:19 AM
1 Excursion camper
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The only thing that could possibly be voided is the camera circuit. Not sure if I would want a non RV tech digging into an RV.

Old 02-24-2018, 08:30 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
nope, pure hogwash. If your're install caused something, perhaps. But if your powertrains blows up...c'mon.

Old 02-24-2018, 11:18 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,100 Likes on 1,000 Posts
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty expressively says that the warranty can not do that. They can only claim to not cover something you did in the install that damaged/broke or caused a problem in a specific area and NOT the whole vehicle. If the wiring you did caused an item to fail, only that part is not covered.

Old 02-24-2018, 01:13 PM
JetFuelBurner
Mountain Pass
That's exactly what I thought. BS.

Now on the install. All you get is 50' of cable. There is no way I was going to drill holes into my rubber roof...sealer or no sealer. The less holes the better. I am snaking the cable into the PIN box, back to the fwd utility cabinet, down below the camper and running along the chassis or gas line to the back of the camper. From there I HAD planned to run it up to the center high camera mount that the camper came with. From their rough estimation, my service center says that there just isn't enough cable. If that's the case I'll have to mount it mid-high just below the rear bedroom window. If I have to go even lower it may have to go onto the bumper. I might could rig it to go with a removavble attachment point and put it on the trailing end of the bumper mounted bike rack.

As mentioned in other threads, the powers that be at Ford obviously did NOT consult people that actually tow things with their trucks before coming up with this hokey, last century wired mess.

There is no way to extend the cable as I'm almost positive its male on both ends. Then there is the fact that there is no way to get a cable extension. Not offered...unless you want to buy a second "Camera Only" kit for several hundred bucks. Then your back to the male connectors on both ends.

If I had it to do all over again I would go with aftermarket and live with the second display on the dash.

What a major PITA!

Nice fail Ford.

Old 02-24-2018, 01:52 PM
JetFuelBurner
Mountain Pass
I had also posted this issue in the '17 SD forum. Another user pointed out that the same company that makes the "In Bed" Trailer Camera Receptacle also makes cable extensions from 1' to 49'. Problem solved! I'm a happy camper.

Nichols MFG Ford Trailer Camera Extension

Old 02-24-2018, 02:45 PM
Beast2017
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JetFuelBurner
I had also posted this issue in the '17 SD forum. Another user pointed out that the same company that makes the "In Bed" Trailer Camera Receptacle also makes cable extensions from 1' to 49'. Problem solved! I'm a happy camper.

Nichols MFG Ford Trailer Camera Extension
nice thanks for the info sir

Old 03-01-2018, 02:39 PM
eurojet
Freshman User
I don't see how installing something on your trailer voids the trucks warranty ????

Do you have the part number for that kit?

Old 03-14-2018, 08:03 PM
kansas gary
Senior User
Instead of using the “ford” hardware system on your trailer why not just buy the wireless version they sell @ camper sales? That is what I have on my trailer and it works great.... the camera for the system is more clear the the standard Ford backup camera on the truck itself..

Old 03-14-2018, 08:44 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,716 Likes on 2,754 Posts
Originally Posted by kansas gary
Instead of using the “ford” hardware system on your trailer why not just buy the wireless version they sell @ camper sales? That is what I have on my trailer and it works great.... the camera for the system is more clear the the standard Ford backup camera on the truck itself..
The main reason is to have the tire pressure readout integrated into the dashboard system. I'm happy with mine but it could be better. For example, if they put the truck AND trailer tire readout on one screen that would be easier than flipping between screens.