1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Fuel Pressure Regulator Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 11:17 PM
Northernroots122
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Pressure Regulator Question

Looks to be missing the plastic cap from the fuel restriction sensor??
Had a question, I am in the process of cleaning the screen on the FPR and took it apart to replace some o-rings (seal kit 2C3Z-9157-AA) and took off the snap ring and brass cap and pulled out the metal filter too clean it. On the write up I was looking at said to remove the plastic cap from the fuel restriction sensor. However, it appears there is not one on there to remove. I am curious if that is a concern or I need to try and find a little cap somewhere? Also if getting the brass cap back on all the way that the snap ring will actually fit in its groove is suppose to be that hard? Seems to want to set in on one side or the other but not ho all the way down. Tried putting on before realizing the “cap” was not actually there.

Old 02-26-2018, 12:53 PM
dclack
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Not sure on the plastic cap, but to get the brass cap back on you need to use a C-clamp to compress it. I tried it they way you are describing and only managed to cut my new o-ring.

Old 02-26-2018, 02:23 PM
Northernroots122
Freshman User
Thanks, that would work. Yeah I am not sure on the cap myself. It has a black plastic piece in there, kinda of a plastic threaded screw that pulls out easy enough, but seems to be missing the “cap” assuming that is something other than the threaded piece itself.

Old 02-26-2018, 03:24 PM
dclack
Fleet Mechanic
Well, if no one else chimes in, I've got a couple regulators on the shelf at home that I can take apart and check.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:16 PM
dclack
Fleet Mechanic
I busted one of mine open and here's what I found...

Old 02-26-2018, 08:21 PM
dclack
Fleet Mechanic
Looks like yours is there but maybe missing a piece. Mine just slid out; it looks like a screw but it's not.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:28 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
It's all one piece, right? Looks like the top broke off the OP's part.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:36 PM
dclack
Fleet Mechanic
Yes, it's one piece. OP does appear to be missing the top part. Not sure if it will make any difference or not.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:10 PM
Northernroots122
Freshman User
Interesting, when I took mine apart it had that black spiral piece, but it seems as though the top flat part that looks like the cap is just missing from it. Interesting, I wonder how that would have happened. I didn’t see it when taken apart, so 99% sure it did t fall out when I opened it. Guess i will put it all back together and see how it works out. Thanks a ton for taking yours apart and taking a look at it, much appreciated.

Old 03-03-2018, 04:07 PM
Northernroots122
Freshman User
So it seems i have another problem, which I can only guess is related to the FPR. I put it back in and have been driving the truck the last two days perfectly fine. I fired it up this afternoon just as normal, little smoky while warming and potent exhaust, makes the eyes burn some, but same as always. It was sitting in the driveway for a few minutes warming up while I was gathering stuff etc. and then suddenly died. Tried to fire it up again and nothing. after a few more attempts it would occasionally try and start to fire, but then die. If holding the throttle down, a couple times it fired and revved up, but then died. If not holding the pedal down it would just crank, but not fire, maybe give a cough like it wanted to fire but nothing.

Now just sitting in the driveway blocking the garage and cant get to start:/. Anyone have any thoughts on what it could be or what to check?

Old 03-03-2018, 05:22 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Always possible the FPR plunger is sticking, or you didn't get the spring on the nipple on the back side of the FPR nut and it popped loose and its building no fuel pressure because it finally popped loose.

Old 03-03-2018, 05:53 PM
Northernroots122
Freshman User
Can take a took and see. Just seems odd that was running great for two days then just quite, but it did come off/loose...

Old 03-03-2018, 06:55 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Northernroots122
Can take a took and see. Just seems odd that was running great for two days then just quite, but it did come off/loose...
Mine did that when somebody poured sand in my gas tank.

Every now and then a piece of silica got passed the screen and would freeze up my FPR.

I didn't know any of this at the time and figured my fuel pump went bad.
Took everything apart and replaced the pump, went to put the bowl back on and it was full of silica. was like. "oh that explains everything"

Old 03-03-2018, 11:18 PM
dclack
Fleet Mechanic
Well I don't know about the stock system, but with efuel my truck will run and drive (with serious lack of power) WITHOUT any fuel pressure and no power to the fuel pump. So I have a hard time believing that a bad spring in the regulator is causing it to not start.

Old 03-04-2018, 12:57 PM
Northernroots122
Freshman User
I haven’t had a chance to pull the FPR back off or lock at anything else yes, windy, snowing and just too cold today, but my wife did go out this am and try to start it like yesterday it fired up but after idling for a bit, 5 minutes +\-, it died. Seems when cold will run but ones warms up will die and not start again. When it does die and you go to start it, saw people asking in other posts of other issues, the tach does not move and no smoke from exhaust at all. Not sure if that is anything important to note or not but...

Quick Reply: Fuel Pressure Regulator Question