1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Key programming unsuccessful

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 07:34 PM
hrsetrdr
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Key programming unsuccessful

I bought uncut 2 keys off ebay for spares for my '99 F-150, had them cut at the hardware store.

I watched several Youtube videos and attempted to do the programming.

I followed the procedure exactly, but neither replacement key took the programming.

What's worse, one of my original keys would lose it's programming. However, I was able

to restore it, using the programming procedure.

At this point I'm not sure which way I can go with this DIY key programming.

Anyone have experience with this?

Old 02-25-2018, 08:46 PM
Lime1GT
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Ebay didn't give you the wrong keys by chance? If it's oem Ford there should be a small rectangular plug in the stock near the key ring and the letter S stamped on the metal key.

Old 02-25-2018, 10:11 PM
hrsetrdr
New User
Well, you mentioned the "S"...made me take a second look at the ebay key auction.

I missed the fine print, mentioning not being compatible with keys bearing the S stamp.

Screenshot

Old 02-26-2018, 12:09 AM
Lime1GT
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
I guess you can always use them as a hide away key if you lock your keys in your truck.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:06 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 887 Likes on 736 Posts
Just do a "redneck PATS bypass" and use all of them.

Old 03-02-2018, 01:19 PM
hrsetrdr
New User
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
Just do a "redneck PATS bypass" and use all of them.
I watched a couple "redneck PATS bypass" videos...that looks exciting.

I'll just try the programming again, with a OEM key.
 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0089KNC8A/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ABBSVGCSAHWMY&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0089KNC8A/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ABBSVGCSAHWMY&psc=1

Last edited by hrsetrdr; 03-02-2018 at 01:20 PM. Reason: spelling!
Old 03-02-2018, 01:38 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
I watched a couple "redneck PATS bypass" videos...that looks exciting.
I have no idea what you saw, so it's impossible to comment on the videos. What I referred to is to have the head of an authorized key (or a complete authorized key) inside the PATS transceiver ring for it to be read. One can dismount the ring, zip tie the key in so it reads, and then stuff and tie the assembly up under the dash (aka "Redneck PATS Bypass").

Old 03-02-2018, 02:10 PM
Chad T. Keogh
Senior User
When it comes to chipped keys, I always go to the dealer. Just easier I find.

Old 03-02-2018, 03:24 PM
clong
Senior User
Originally Posted by Chad T. Keogh
When it comes to chipped keys, I always go to the dealer. Just easier I find.
Yeah, but at $150 per key, I can put up with a bit of headache.

Old 03-02-2018, 03:52 PM
hrsetrdr
New User
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
I have no idea what you saw, so it's impossible to comment on the videos. What I referred to is to have the head of an authorized key (or a complete authorized key) inside the PATS transceiver ring for it to be read. One can dismount the ring, zip tie the key in so it reads, and then stuff and tie the assembly up under the dash (aka "Redneck PATS Bypass").
There were several videos, I watched the first six: Google result . I should dismiss my "squeamishness' and tear into the steering column...I have tons of zip-ties, looks to be a permanent fix.

Old 03-03-2018, 07:04 PM
boomercarguy
Freshman User
Originally Posted by clong
Yeah, but at $150 per key, I can put up with a bit of headache.
I've bought spare keys and remotes for my 2005 Escape and spare keys for my manual door locks 2002 F-150 from Amazon. They all programmed in accordance with the owner's manual directions and work great. I don't think I paid more than $10 for any of the items and with Amazon, I could return them. The remotes and keys were exactly like the OEM but without the Ford logo.

My only complaint was getting the keys cut. The Ford dealership wanted $10 per key. Lowe's refused to cut them because I didn't buy them there. So I took them to my Honda car dealer and they cut them for free. Guess where I'll shop for my next used Ford!

Old 08-02-2018, 06:04 PM
hrsetrdr
New User
And so the saga continues. I bought an OEM key with the Ford logo and the "S" on the shank of the key. Programming failed, I was afraid at one point that I may have lost the programming of the 2 original keys. I speculate that the reason for the failure was that my 2 originals were clones...?

Old 08-02-2018, 06:09 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
that the reason for the failure was that my 2 originals were clones
Well, duh! You have to have TWO UNIQUE keys in order to program more using the owner's manual procedure.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:30 PM
boomercarguy
Freshman User
I bought a used Ford that had two original keys but I wanted a third. Following the directions in the owner's manual, I successfully cloned a new generic one that I bought from Amazon and had cut at a local hardware store.. Note that ALL THREE KEYS have to be near the ignition switch for this to work without deleting any key that is out of range.

Then I bought another used Ford that only had one key. I bought a matching generic Ford key from Amazon and had it cut to match the original and then I took both keys to a local mechanic (It does not have to be a Ford garage.) who had a programming computer. It worked fine. Be sure to shop around for the best price because mine varied from $50 to $80. Once you have two keys, you can program any future ones that you have cut to match.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:54 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Originally Posted by boomercarguy
I bought a used Ford that had two original keys but I wanted a third. Following the directions in the owner's manual, I successfully cloned a new generic one that I bought from Amazon and had cut at a local hardware store.. Note that ALL THREE KEYS have to be near the ignition switch for this to work without deleting any key that is out of range.
You did not "clone" anything. You added a new, unique key to the system.

Key "clones" are the ones that you can have made at hardware stores and certain home centers. The blanks used have a one-time-programmable memory device that allows them to accept the ID information read from a known good key and copied into the blank with the store's machine.

You do NOT have to have the three keys "near the ignitions switch" except that you have reach each of them in order, insert it in the ignition switch, turn it, etc per the instructions.

Then I bought another used Ford that only had one key. I bought a matching generic Ford key from Amazon and had it cut to match the original and then I took both keys to a local mechanic (It does not have to be a Ford garage.) who had a programming computer. It worked fine. Be sure to shop around for the best price because mine varied from $50 to $80. Once you have two keys, you can program any future ones that you have cut to match.
Yes, that is the procedure if you don't have FORscan. For about $10, a Windows device, and freely available software, the DIYer can do it.

Quick Reply: Key programming unsuccessful