1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Gage cluster dim

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 05:02 AM
BadMoFo
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gage cluster dim

the gages in my 1970 are hard to see at night due to the bulb being extremely dim, wouldn’t surprise me if it’s not the original. Can I just replace the bulb? Or is the a better bulb or some other “trick” to make this brighter? Additionally any special tricks I need to know before attempting to remove the cluster to get at the bulb?

Old 02-24-2018, 06:19 AM
mrpotatohead
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well, there's more than one bulb. I'd replace all of them while you're there. They can get dust on them after half a century.

Old 02-24-2018, 06:35 AM
BadMoFo
Junior User
Gotcha. Also when my blinkers are not being used, the indicator in the cluster stays on for my right signal. Anything?

Old 02-24-2018, 07:51 AM
Brian1971f100
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by BadMoFo
the gages in my 1970 are hard to see at night due to the bulb being extremely dim, wouldn’t surprise me if it’s not the original. Can I just replace the bulb? Or is the a better bulb or some other “trick” to make this brighter? Additionally any special tricks I need to know before attempting to remove the cluster to get at the bulb?
You do know the headlight pull **** is also a dash light dimmer. Rotate the **** to the right or left changes the brightness of the dash lights.

Old 02-24-2018, 08:44 AM
BadMoFo
Junior User
Originally Posted by Brian1971f100
You do know the headlight pull **** is also a dash light dimmer. Rotate the **** to the right or left changes the brightness of the dash lights.
didn’t know that (new to these trucks, if it was a mustang now!). But will have to look at night but it was turned all the way left

Old 02-24-2018, 10:03 AM
NashvegasMatt
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i replaced mine with white LEDs from amazon for like $7. There’s about 8 bulbs. They still dim correctly with the factory setup

Old 02-24-2018, 11:32 AM
BadMoFo
Junior User
Originally Posted by NashvegasMatt

i replaced mine with white LEDs from amazon for like $7. There’s about 8 bulbs. They still dim correctly with the factory setup
wouldn’t happen to remember company or how you found them would you?

Old 02-24-2018, 11:58 AM
NashvegasMatt
More Turbo

wouldn’t happen to remember company or how you found them would you?
On the back of the cluster you will see all the little white bulb housings. They just twist out. The housings do not get changed thrown out, you just pull the old bulbs out and plug the leds in. Let me see if I can find it, but if you find the bulb style, (ie 1157 or whatever) they will work.

Old 02-24-2018, 12:09 PM
mrpotatohead
Posting Guru
Gotcha. Also when my blinkers are not being used, the indicator in the cluster stays on for my right signal. Anything?

I posted this earlier but failed. Check the paper tubes around the t.s. bulbs. They are there to keep the dash lights from bleeding over into them.

Old 02-24-2018, 09:55 PM
Thipdar
Laughing Gas
Check for the correct dimmer operation first - rotate the headlight switch **** to see if the lights are set correctly. This part of the headlight switch is known to fail.

To change the bulbs:
Pull the screws and move the Instrument Cluster a little bit forward.

Disconnect the Turn Signal Flasher by twisting it 90 degrees, it will come away from the back of the cluster. Don't disconnect the connector that hooks to the flasher unit (you might spill the blinker fluid all over everything).

Unscrew the coupling for the speedometer cable, disconnect the cable from the speedometer.

Disconnect the Instrument Cluster Connector and the cluster should lift out.

five bulbs to swap. Turn the cap, pull the bulb from the cap, replace the bulb, put the caps back.

Re-installation of the cluster is the reverse of removal.

Old 02-25-2018, 12:50 AM
GaryKip
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Here is the instrument panel:

Yours will be the top one I think.

Old 02-25-2018, 12:57 AM
GaryKip
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
If you use LED bulbs it's best to get the correct color bulb to match the lens- like for example, the turn signals have a green colored arrow in them- so use a green bulb. The white or clear bulbs don't matter- that's your choice. Just my 2cents.

Old 02-25-2018, 05:41 AM
BadMoFo
Junior User
Originally Posted by GaryKip
If you use LED bulbs it's best to get the correct color bulb to match the lens- like for example, the turn signals have a green colored arrow in them- so use a green bulb. The white or clear bulbs don't matter- that's your choice. Just my 2cents.
Good idea , I like it.

Originally Posted by Thipdar
Check for the correct dimmer operation first - rotate the headlight switch **** to see if the lights are set correctly. This part of the headlight switch is known to fail.

To change the bulbs:
Pull the screws and move the Instrument Cluster a little bit forward.

Disconnect the Turn Signal Flasher by twisting it 90 degrees, it will come away from the back of the cluster. Don't disconnect the connector that hooks to the flasher unit (you might spill the blinker fluid all over everything).

Unscrew the coupling for the speedometer cable, disconnect the cable from the speedometer.

Disconnect the Instrument Cluster Connector and the cluster should lift out.

five bulbs to swap. Turn the cap, pull the bulb from the cap, replace the bulb, put the caps back.

Re-installation of the cluster is the reverse of removal.
Great write up, and I’ll try not to get any blinker fluid on me, lol.

Old 02-26-2018, 10:22 AM
DisneysPatB
Tuned
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Good idea , I like it.

Great write up, and I’ll try not to get any blinker fluid on me, lol.
Good, it smells like rotten eggs and is not an easy smell to get rid of. Very
similar to morning breeze.

Old 02-27-2018, 03:43 PM
arapf
Freshman User
I pulled the bulbs on my '68 F250 yesterday. 3 of the 5 bulbs were completely broken. Bulbs are GE 1895. Pretty easy to find LED 1895 replacements online. I went to superbrightleds.com for the replacements because it was challenging to find LEDs that are dimmable on amazon and this site clearly identified those that are dimmable. For about $15 (inc shipping) I got 4 white and 2 green (wanted a few extra white as backups). See pics for product codes. Also attaching pics of my instrument cluster and the disassemble. FYI when removing the bulbs, you must push them in and turn left; opposite to install.

Are there only 5 bulbs? Let me know if/where there are more. Thanks!

Last edited by arapf; 02-27-2018 at 03:46 PM. Reason: edit words

Quick Reply: Gage cluster dim