General Automotive Discussion

What makes Ford better than Chevy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 09:42 PM
cgunning17
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What makes Ford better than Chevy?

I have a friend who is a strong Chevy supporter and is always cracking jokes about my ford. I am trying to think what makes Ford better than Chevy and I can't think of anything. I am considering buying a Chevy as my next truck. My family has been Ford supporters since my great grandfather bought a 1932 Ford Sedan for $406.85 back in 1936. My Dad actually prefers Chevy but currently owns a Ford. Personally, Chevy is starting to sound better, but I only bought my first truck a month ago and do not have a preference yet.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:45 PM
ford2go
Cargo Master
Received 142 Likes on 87 Posts
Couple of forums down in this section you'll find "Ford vs the Competition"
All kinds of arguements and comparisons in there.

For your choice, it comes down to what you want. Shop around, read the specs and reviews, drive a few and decide what you want. This one can tow more, that one has better economy, another one might be best at something else.

Plus, you have to live with it. If it's got best in class something, but you hate driving it, you made a mistake. Especially if whatever it's got best in class with isn't that important to you. If you buy a non Ford you won't get much tech advice here -- because most guys here have Fords, but they won't throw a brick through your window .

And they all have their flaws. Ford had the famous spark plug issue in the modular engines. Chebbys had the rusting brake and fuel lines, plus the deathtrap ignition switch. Dodges were - well Dodges ( don't know much about them).

You could start calling your buddy's truck his "Shove it or Leave it" . Or maybe say y'know - 90% of Chevys are still on the road. The other 10% managed to get home somehow.

I personally liked the look of the late 40's shoebox Fords when I was a little kid, and I've had a thing for Fords ever since. But I've owned vehicles from each of the big 3 as well as a couple of imports. (I have owned a total of 4 Ford trucks and enjoyed them all)

hj

Old 02-22-2018, 06:35 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,108 Likes on 2,168 Posts
i drive fords the past 45 years because no one else wants them so i get them real cheap. i have also driven all different brands. the best truck i ever owned was a 1966 dodge W300 powerwagon.
but after the cab rotted off the frame the third time i decided it was not worth rebuilding again with over 750,000 miles on it. the new dodges fall apart after 5 years or so.
the chevys ride like a car. but i need a truck.
that left me with the fords that no one else wants.
friends can say what they want about my POS fords, but in the end it is always my POS ford that is coming to rescue them. and my fords are all still here long after their dodges and chevys are sent to china as scrap metal.

Old 02-22-2018, 11:50 PM
Old Turnkey
Cross-Country
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
During the melt down, They re-structured, road it out and did not ask the Government for a bail out!!! Did it old school and took care of their problems themselves. And they still make a quality product! That's what makes them better IMO.

Old 02-24-2018, 06:02 PM
Oh2b
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMO none are "better" than the other. Certain years of certain makes have their hiccups. It has been a very long time until recently that I have owned a Ford but in those years I have owned 2 Jeeps and 1 ****** with a ford powerplant (a uncommon swap by the way) All makes have their pros and cons and if someone tries to tell you differently their likely just stuck on their ego. Ford, Chevy and GMC all made some kick **** vehicles.