Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

My opinion on the Big 3

Old 03-08-2004, 10:33 PM
1970Custom
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My opinion on the Big 3

To me there is a vehicle from each brand for any one purpose. The Ford and the Dodge are real work trucks, for real pulling i mean, the Chevrolet from what I've seen can't keep up and thats from personal experance. The Ford barely out pulls the Ram but again just from what I've seen. The Chevy seems to be the plusher of the three but thats not what I look for in a vehicle. The Ford and Ram again seem to be more reliable in the drivetrain(except for the tranny problems of the Dodge and the Stroker problems) I just don't like the looks of those Chevrolets, the price mainly, you pay 43,xxx and up for the Chevy when you can buy a Ram and a PS for the same price and get what seems to be a better rig(not trying to bash or anything). Thats just my brief opinion of the three brands, I'll probably think of more later but thats all I can think of now. feel free to agree or disagree with me, I want to know what others think.

Old 03-09-2004, 03:55 AM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chevy = truck that performs like a car.
Dodge = decent performance and reliability, but nothing major in any way.
Ford = King of all trucks, time after time. Proven winner.

Old 03-09-2004, 03:56 AM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ihave to agree with you 1970 Custom. Each truck has its own features that suits everybodys needs. The competition of the big 3 has made the quality of the trucks much better than without it. When I buy a truck Ilook for the complete package. Engine,drivetrain, chassis etc. When you look at that Ford is the one that serves my needs. But if your happy with Chevy or Dodge and it serves your purpose. Thats great. I guessed I have just driven Fords to many years. They have proven themselves time and time again for me. It is just like friendship. You have been friends somebody for years than all of a sudden he is not your friend. If I drive another brand pickup I feel guilty. That is like saying This truck has something that Ford doesn't. Ford has every thing I need. Don't need anything else. Just my thoughts. Thanks.

Old 03-09-2004, 04:08 AM
150ford
Post Fiend
Hey Ford Lariat Couldn't have said it better myself. You and me think a like. Your my kinda guy. Another ford fanatic.

Old 03-09-2004, 07:58 AM
1970Custom
Postmaster
I'm with you 150ford, I've driven a few different vehicles, from Honda Civics to big SUVs like the Suburban, to the little ones like My Jeep Cherokee with 187 almost 188, 000 miles, but the ford truck is about the only vehicle I want,( other than a Daytona Coupe or a 427 Cobra) . It's not as plush as some that I've seen nor is it economical, but it suited for what i do and thats haul things, thats kinda tough with a car or small SUV. I'm happy with my 93 and my friend is happy with their 90 Chevy. Like what was said I feel dis-satisfied driving somthing else.

Old 03-11-2004, 12:57 AM
sinister73
Elder User
LOL........

What kind of thread is this anyway guys? It certainly does not have much merit as a comparision of the big three - opinions or not.
FordLariat, and 150ford? Who are you people really?? I've seen nothing but propaganda posts so far from either of you. And now it's turned to a play on emotions.
Sorry, I'm not buying this crap. Crap which is intended to promote blindness and brand loyalty. The simple truth is this - THERE is NOTHING GM or DC could ever possibly do with their trucks to satisfy some brand blinded people. Ford could suddenly start using Explorer style IRS in their SuperDuty trucks, and it would be perfectly permissable to this same crowd - who would then go around touting the "advantages of IRS" to those of us who would criticise Ford for this move.

No company is loyal to it's customers once warranty runs out. And all three have given terrible service during warranty periods before. All manufacturers have made complete crap at some time or other. I feel no loyalty to any company that does not do right by me. I feel no compassion for a company that will take my money and not stand by their product. I think all three make a good product. Some are better in some ways than others. You buy what you like - period. To me, the three have been so close for my uses, that it usually has come down to price and how much I like the selling dealer.

I feel no guilt for driving another brand pickup truck. Regardless of who's name plate is on the truck -it's my property - and I will always like what's mine, unless it turns out to be a piece of garbage - in which case I will call a spade a spade, and not try to make up some lame excuses for it, or pretend that I have some romantic lasting "friendship" with an automotive manufacturer who could not care less if I were to fall off the face of the earth.

FordLariat;

Chevy = truck that performs like a car.
---------------------------------------

Elaborate. What kind of a car do GM trucks perform like? And for that matter, tell me, what do you mean by "perform"? Payload? Towing? What car made today are you aware of which can carry up to 5600lbs? How about towing over 16,000lbs? Perhaps you mean IFS? Well what about SuperDuty 4x2 250/350's? Those use INDEPENDENT TWIN I BEAMS don't they? Ahh....it must be those "high revving" car engines GM likes to use....the ones which make only SLIGHTLY less low end torque as Ford engines do, but do not fall flat dead after 3000 RPM's as Ford engines do....lol.

FordLariat;

Dodge = decent performance and reliability, but nothing major in any way.
-------------------------------

Everyone knows that Ford redesigned the SD trucks to resemble the Ram HD. It was a very conservative copy (no lifting grill, etc)
but the Ram's influence on the design is clear.
Diesel powered pickups were a joke by and far - UNTIL the Cummins powered Rams showed up and started showing up the big blocks. It was Dodge who was smart enough to see the advantages of putting a serious diesel into a pickup truck. The Cummins blew everything else away. This engine alone is all Dodge needed to become (the real)number one. It is still the best diesel out there- 15 YEARS later. The 6.0 is garbage(which I did not know until I drove one). It has no low end at all - at least not in manual transmission form. It needs to be put in LOW to take hills from a standstill - even empty. The Dodge will pull those hills in third. The NV5600 transmission is the biggest, and strongest transmission available today in any pickup.
Dodge SFA has the same advantages as Ford's. It is just as strong. The rear axles used in Dodge/Cummins trucks are almost twice as strong as those used in Ford SRW/diesel pickups.
Ford is about to copy Dodge yet again, with its coil spring/trailing arm 4x4 suspension. What am I missing here?

FordLariat;

Ford = King of all trucks, time after time. Proven winner.
--------------------------

In some configurations, maybe. Certainly the biggest and roomiest of the three. Ford has the V10 going for it - it is about the only unique advantage Ford offers which is not matched by GM or Dodge in some way(the GM 8100 is really a different class of engine) Ford sure does make a good looking truck that will handle as much as you care to throw at it(within reason of course) that much I cede. Ford also offers the best bang for the buck in my opinion - at 21,000.00 for a 350SRW V10/6speed XL 2wd - they come real cheap. None of this qualifies Ford as "always and forever-the best" however.....lol - time to get real.

Old 03-11-2004, 01:49 AM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
Alright, then. How is Ford not the King of Trucks? Who outsold them for almost 30 years? Who has done better?
As far as Chevy, I can't even take them serious as a truck manufacturer as long as they show up with an IFS on the `heavy duty` line. Please, bring back a real truck.
Time to get real for you, when I see Dodge or Chevy outsell Ford, then I will admit that they did better, but in business (which is what Ford, Chevy and Dodge all 3 are, in case youhaven't noticed), Ford OWNS.
Torque rated at 550 at 2000 rpms = no low end to you? You sir, need a reality check. I really don't care what you think of me, I am a Ford enthusiast on a Ford enthusiast website, and all I have seen from you is how something else is better and how Ford copies Dodge or Chevy can do this better.
Ram's influence on the SD? I doubt it, see, the Ram is ugly as @$$, and the Ford isn't.
Ford blew away the Cummins, so they had to redesign to keep up, the very next year. The first 6.0s were garbage, (sorry Ford owners), but they are fixed now. This fall, they will be back on top again. Any worksite has plenty of Ford trucks, and the clean Dodges are the bosses trucks that don't see any real work. Care to dispute? Maybe if they had a transmission in them, they would be able to do some work.
Here's something to try and prove wrong:
Ford sells more tucks to businesses for heavy-duty use than Dodge. Prove it wrong, then you can tell me who is the (real) number 1. Businesses don't buy inferior trucks, they depend on the trucks to get the job done. The majority depend on Ford.
So don't say that `everyone` knows that Ford copied Dodge, there are plenty of us, including me, who politely disagree, Ford is the industry LEADER, and has been for 28 years.

Old 03-11-2004, 01:55 AM
MEPR
Elder User
to me the big threes basicly fall into catagories like this...
Ford, old reliable farm truck
Dodge, awsome hauler
Chevy, long distance hauler (more comfy and better road maners)

Old 03-11-2004, 01:59 AM
sinister73
Elder User
McDonald's sells more beef than all of the fine diners the world over combined - but does McDonald's sales figures alone, assertain they have the highest quality food product?...lol.

Sales figures don't mean everything in relation to quality -and if they did- it would'int be to you advantage right now anyway- GM has outsold Ford going on at least 3 years now.

Old 03-11-2004, 02:11 AM
sinister73
Elder User
Also to clarify it for you, since you seem a bit confused on my point- the 6.0L is GARBAGE. NO LOW END....understand?

550 LBFT at 2000 RPM means nothing when theres almost nothing at idle - even the V10 has more low end- I don't want to have to rev an engine to 2000 RPM's to get some boost from a stop. It's not really the engine- it's Ford's A$$ backwards programming, and turbo settings. You cant tap into any of that power until you mash the pedal to the floor. Since Ford knows so much, maybe one day they will know enough to leave well enough alone, and let International program the engine to operate the way it was designed to- I'm sure it'd be killer then.

Old 03-11-2004, 02:11 AM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
More people depend on McDonald's for food than all of the fine diners all over the world, too. That's what it comes down to, dependability, not some sales gimmick (Hemi). It comes down to dependability, consistant dependability, and no one does that as well as Ford. That's why they outsell. No other reason. Ford makes a better truck than Chevrolet.
You are right, though, McDonald's is undisputed King of hamburgers, and Ford is undisputed King of trucks. Again, don't throw up non-real-world figures and equations, explain to me how anyone else is the King. Ford made the first mass-produced vehicle, so everyone else is copying Ford from the get-go. Care to argue about that?

Old 03-11-2004, 02:19 AM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
And I guess that if you add both GMC and Chevy together, then they might outsell Ford, but that doesn't count. It takes them selling two brands (and anytime that you own any percent of the competition, you will come out better) to even compete. If GMC stopped selling trucks today and it was just Chevrolet, they would still be chasing Ford.
Oh, and by the way, if you have to mash the pedal to the floor to get to 2000 RPMs, then there's something wrong with your vehicle, and it's not a good indicator of all of the other vehicles of the same make. I never towed anything for any distance at idle, anyway.
As far as GARBAGE goes, we were talking about the 6.0, you know, the powerplant of the INDUSTRY LEADER. Now, I understand that every diesel can't be made personally by Jesus himself like the Cummins was, but it's not GARBAGE. I mean, it forced Dodge to redesign their diesel to even keep up. If it was truly GARBAGE, then you would have never seen a Cummins 600. Doesn't matter anyway, this fall when Ford releases the next version of the 6.0, Dodge will be chasing them again, like always, trying to make a truck. The only reason that Dodge even got that it because the Cummins was way behind the times and could not compete in today's market, and they had to do something to stay where they are in the pecking order of trucks. They sure as heck ain't number 1, or I wouldn't be towing them out of the way so REAL trucks can get down the trail.
And by the way, Ford evidently knows something about trucks, and it's obviously a little more than Dodge OR Chevy.

Last edited by FordLariat; 03-11-2004 at 02:33 AM.
Old 03-11-2004, 02:21 AM
phish19
Junior User
If you know how any turbo works it has to spool up to get any power. Obvisouly Ford knows what they are doing when it comes to making a truck. Example one if you don't want to wait on a turbo spools up and for the performance purpose they made a supercharged lightning. The turbo purpose is not to have the power from the get go, it has enough power to wait on the turbo to spool up. The purpose of the turbo is for top end power. Which chevy and dodge lack. A turbo ford could out pull from the start and out pull up hill and never miss a beat. Before you nock the design you have to look at the purpose of it.

Old 03-11-2004, 02:30 AM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
Well, phish19, obviously it's about how much you can tow at idle. Not where you need to tow, and you have to floor a Ford for at least 30 minutes to get it up to 2000 RPMs. I mean, Dodge, sometimes you don't you don't even have to start thr truck to drag an ocean liner across the Appalachian Mountains, and when the truck isn't even started, then turbo spool is irrelevant.

Old 03-11-2004, 02:33 AM
phish19
Junior User
Yea i know what you mean. i know i wish my truck would tow without starting i could save a bunch of gas. You know i hate When i start my truck and it idles away from me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My opinion on the Big 3