Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

F150 bed durability

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 09:40 AM
dnewton3
Elder User
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
F150 bed durability

First of all, this isn't a complaint about the BS Chevy commercials; I'm not whining about the aluminum for the bed. Rather, I have a specific concern and questions for anyone who's been down a particular road, so to speak.

I have not yet bought a new truck, but an F150 is on my list as soon as my kids get out of college; one will be out soon and the other not far behind. That will free up some money for a payment.

I currently pull my RV, and put my Victory motorcycle in the bed of my current truck, using the front cleats as an anchor point for the front straps to the m/c forks. As my m/c is fairly heavy, about 950 pounds, there's a fair amount of stress on the strap cleats at the front and rear of the bed; it holds the bike down and also keeps it from swaying side-to-side. The steel bed I have now seems to hold up well enough.

My concern is for the "new" aluminum bed, at the cleats. Will they take the kind of load force I'm going to induce? I am worried that the cleats will tear out/away from the bed, either pulling the bolts through, or actually tearing the alum bed at the mount location.

Has anyone put large loads on the cleats? (I'm not talking about holding down a tarp, but real force via a heavy load strap holding several hundreds of pounds).

Is there any potential to "upgrade" this area with some home-made improvements? Can you get a large "backer-plate" in between the inner/outer bed panels, and use that to distribute the force out over a larger area, dispersing the load? Basically making a system to bolt the cleat through the bed and to the backer-plate, making for a reduction of pressure on the mount area?

I do realize that the SD trucks now use aluminum, but they have a heavier gauge material for their beds. I don't really want a SD; don't really need all the capacity that it offers and would be just fine with a F150 and HDPP.

So, does anyone have real world experiences either strapping down heavy bikes for long trips, or heavy loads for workday jobs, and seen any concerns of the stress points of the cleat area?

Old 02-16-2018, 09:50 AM
Terryd91
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Steel or aluminum bed i would not rely just on the tie down points, i would go with a bed or rail mounted wheel chock to help support the bike.

Old 02-16-2018, 10:03 AM
dnewton3
Elder User
Anything "bed or rail" mounted would not really alter the concern, just the point of failure, right? Anything that bolts through the alum bed is a cause for concern, conceptually, no matter where it's at.

I do have a "chock" system I made at home; it keeps the front wheel centered and distributes the forward load so that it's not concentrated on one spot, causing a dent. Plus, I strap the rear of the bike to the rear frame, so that any panic stops "pull" on the strap and don't let the front wheel "push" on the front of the bed.

Old 02-16-2018, 10:24 AM
Terryd91
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
No, you would still use the tie downs but the rail mounted chock holds the tire halfway up and adds another point of contact to help spread the load out over a large area instead of just at the tie down points.

Old 02-16-2018, 11:40 AM
storage_man
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't believe there would be any problem. The standard motorcycle tie down straps will not exert enough pressure to tear the beds tie down hooks. All they do is compress the front forks of the motorcycle and not really all of the way. Only enough to secure the bike.

Old 02-16-2018, 03:15 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 211 Likes on 177 Posts
Maybe apples and oranges, but I've hauled our ATV in the bed. It weighs ~~ 800 lbs, and I use the corner anchors. I've also used the removable cleats in the sides.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:58 AM
ATX SD
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just for reference, Ford says the Boxlink cleats (the new ones in addition to the traditional tie-down loops) are rated 275lbs or 600 lbs depending on strap direction:
"BoxLink adds four additional tie-down locations in the box to complement the four fixed tie-down hooks carried over from the previous model, for a total of eight. Additionally, BoxLink is located on a reinforced area of the box at mid-level – accommodating the majority of cargo loads. Reinforcement of the cleats allows them to accommodate a horizontal (cross-box) load of 275 pounds and a diagonal load of 600 pounds."

Old 02-18-2018, 02:26 PM
dnewton3
Elder User
Thanks. That helps with some decent info.

Perhaps I could use both the lower cleats AND box-link, and have a pretty good situation then. Lower cleats to help compress the forks, and box-links to help hold it steady in side-to-side loads.

Old 02-18-2018, 06:49 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,584 Likes on 1,292 Posts
My issue beyond the tie downs is how to get the bike up in that mile-high bed. It was nearly life threatening with my E150, but that was probably over a foot lower than the tailgate on the F150.

This getting old business really cuts in to the "run it up the ramp and jump up on the gate" act of yesteryear.....

Old 02-18-2018, 07:10 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
I used to carry a 2013 Polaris RZR in the bed of my 2016 F150.

Josh

Old 02-18-2018, 11:20 PM
TJReams
Fleet Mechanic
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Should have got the factory ramps, they are very secure!! loaded a riding mower in mine. I did have to back up to a curb to help a little on the angle but it had a mower deck under it.

Old 02-19-2018, 01:25 AM
AeroCare
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 85e150six4mtod
This getting old business .....
I was learning new ways to get in and out of my car and that's why I sold it and bought a truck, easier on the back to get in and out of it. Anyways regarding getting old, I love it because look at the alternative...

Old 02-19-2018, 07:14 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by 85e150six4mtod
My issue beyond the tie downs is how to get the bike up in that mile-high bed. It was nearly life threatening with my E150, but that was probably over a foot lower than the tailgate on the F150.

This getting old business really cuts in to the "run it up the ramp and jump up on the gate" act of yesteryear.....
Originally Posted by TJReams
Should have got the factory ramps, they are very secure!! loaded a riding mower in mine. I did have to back up to a curb to help a little on the angle but it had a mower deck under it.
I've been using these for years: https://www.discountramps.com/black-...p/p/BW-40-AMR/

Worked great on the mile-high bed on my old F-350 and excellent with current F-150. Some presidents day sales now too. They break down into 3 sections for easier storage. I've been able to fit all the ramps and gear in my bed no problem. Very safe way to load/unload.

Old 02-19-2018, 08:55 AM
pmac150
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bed Durability - Very Good

I sprayed mine with U-PolŽ Raptor Spray-On Truck Bed Liner Kit.
I've thrown brick, pavers, cider blocks, 90lbs cement bags, etc.
no damage or dents.

Strapped a ATV on a 233mile trip using the factory tie downs. no issues with aluminum.

Attached Images  
Old 02-19-2018, 10:47 AM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 211 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by TJReams
Among the best things about our 2015 XLT. Most of the times I have the cleats installed, but when we are hauling, the ramps are simply great. I love the way they secure to the lip of the tailgate. We have used them to load a big generator, ATV, lawn mower, motorcycle(s), etc.

Quick Reply: F150 bed durability