Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

2000 F-350 7.3L SD History Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 01:31 PM
av8or1
Senior User
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Y2K- Yup, although I hadn't mentioned it, I read both of those threads. I mentioned Damon's simply because that approach is similar to the one that I will take, though there will be a few differences. I've not heard of "ccc" either ... it means "crew + crew cab"? Interesting. Group 31s huh? That has slightly different dimensions IIRC. A little more CCA, depending, but not much, again, based on vague memory recollection. Was there a specific reason he did that? Just curious...

I won't be too likely to visit any shops that do this type of work; too leary that they'll just try to sell me on services dontchaknow. This will be expensive enough if I do the work myself, can't imagine paying someone to do it. 'Becomes crazy then. I can do only a certain amount of crazy, and this endeavor even in its DIY form certainly qualifies.

Any feedback regarding the aft cabin vent design idea? I attempted to finish welding last night, but the weather and darkness claimed victory yet again. As always, I must say that "a funny thing happened" during mid-weld. I decided that this repair isn't difficult, so why not include it on the new truck? Heck, having a diverter yields a "more unique" end product, so hey. Kinda like I said WRT the stretch thing...why not? It was then and there that I decided that I'll just be open WRT the cab - when the time comes of course - and focus on getting the cab that is in the best condition, regardless of year model. Then, if it is a 99-03, I'll do this repair again on that cab. Might as well make it truly one-of-a-kind!

Regarding servicing, oh sure, I have all of that stuff planned. I might not have been specific enough in my previous posts, but I plan on addressing all of the mechanical too. The upgrades will be easier with the cab removed I think. But I digress. Miles to go, miles to go before then.

Anyway thanks,
Jerry

EDIT: Also, if it wasn't clear previously, the only thing I bought from the salvage yard was the frame off of that 2000 F-350 DRW. The cab is kinda beat-down and not worth incorporating. It was brought to the yard due to engine issues that were too expensive for the previous owner to repair, so I wasn't interested in doing much with the engine obviously. Nope, I will continue with my engine, my drivetrain, my suspension, my everything. I need a donor frame and a donor cab (which will be grafted onto the back of my existing cab). For the most part, that'll do, save all of the ancillaries ... door panels, headliner, two more powered seats of that era, interior trim pieces, etc. The good news was that the salvage yard agreed to put some trailer axles and wheels on the frame so that it could be a roller. That'll save a *lot* of grief on my end...for certain.

Old 05-23-2018, 10:46 PM
av8or1
Senior User
So I had to switch gears a bit today. My neighbor dropped off the 99 F-350 and this will be my last opportunity to harvest the Racor fuel heat exchanger. So I took a vacation day to work on it. And as I recall from my last experience, I don't like those friggin' Ford quick fuel disconnects. There is nothing quick about them, certainly depending on condition. So I wrestled with them for the bulk of the time I had available, finally loosening both in the late afternoon. I didn't have all day to work on it like I thought I would, so I suppose I can give myself some credit there. However it certainly took more time than it should have. Oh well, it happens. Anyway, here they are, from below the engine, looking up towards the driver's front fender:

So now all I need to do is remove that system (including the pain-in-the-tail coupler on the heater hose at the firewall), then install the singular hose that will complete the normal run from the water heater to the heater core, then replace the Racor fuel lines with a stock set. Both of those items were not available at the parts stores, so I had to source them through the dealer. Uuggghhh.

To speak openly I'm not certain that running a system like this is a good idea in TEXAS, so I am not 100% sure that I'll actually do that. However the rarity of the part yields a certain novelty and for whatever reason I decided to harvest it regardless. Just glad that my neighbor was willing to let me do so. I decided to treat him to new parts in exchange.

Anyway thanks,
Jerry

Old 05-24-2018, 10:25 PM
av8or1
Senior User
Unhappy

Made progress WRT harvesting the Racor stuff after work today. Removed the heater hose (boy but those connectors can be a pain) and replaced with new; removed the Racor exchanger from the alternator bracket along with the upper fuel lines. The lower lines are free; I just need to wrestle them out and up. Darkness won yet again however, so with family duties looming, I decided to finish things up tomorrow. Hopefully it won't be too bad to get those lines out, should be straightforward. Famous last words 'n all.

Here are a few pictures, just as an FYI. First the new stock fuel lines:

And here's the part number in case you're curious about/in-need of it:

The new heater hose (boy but was this expensive!):

And its part number:

Finally here is what I've removed of the Racor kruft thus far:

The plan is to complete the parts swap, then store this stuff of for a future date. Not sure if I'll run it or not, I have this notion that I should be cooling the fuel as it returns to the tank, not heating it. I think the 6.4s do that, but I don't know much about those critters. I understand that this little add-on was intended for colder climates and in those climates it does well. All I'm saying is that TEXAS isn't one of those climates, so ...

Regardless of what I do this decision will need to be made much further down the line. I have more important issues/tasks to attend to prior to making said decision. Until then it can just remain in parts storage. Cool to have this lil' system, regardless of what I do with it.

Thanks,
Jerry

Old 05-25-2018, 09:28 PM
av8or1
Senior User
Ok the neighbor's truck is back up and running. Racor stuff successfully harvested. FWIW it appears to me that they simply used the stock fuel lines (hard lines) for this heat exchanger implementation, simply bending the return line to mate to the hard line that exits the exchanger. Nothing fancy there. In retrospect that makes sense of course, but seems noteworthy somehow.

Anyway thanks. Enjoy your holiday weekend.
Jerry

Old 05-25-2018, 09:50 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Did you harvest it for your own use Jerry? I have never seen one on an SD. Wild....

Old 05-27-2018, 12:53 AM
av8or1
Senior User
BBslider- Yeah I kept this one for myself. Paid for it too considering the cost in parts replacement I incurred in the process. Not complainin', just sayin'. Not sure what I'll do with it though; running a heat exchanger like this in TEXAS doesn't make much sense. However the novelty of the mini-system was sufficient to warrant the extra effort that I needed to go to in order to harvest this stuff. It's not new-in-the-box like Y2K purportedly has, but it's still a pretty rare animal. BTW, the neighbor took his truck back tonight and boy was he happy. Cool to see someone enjoy a powerstroke like that!

Anyway thanks,
Jerry

Old 05-27-2018, 11:49 AM
Y2KW57
Received 3,345 Likes on 1,753 Posts
Originally Posted by av8or1
new-in-the-box like Y2K purportedly has...
"Purportedly" ?

I don't do "purportedly".

Old 05-27-2018, 12:04 PM
av8or1
Senior User
Well that was a tongue-in-cheek comment designed to illicit response. 'Worked.

Cool stuff you have there. Mark me down as the buyer of that box and its contents whenever you decide to let it go!

Finally, no feedback from anyone regarding the vent thing? I figured someone would have something to say. I probably should have broken it out into its own thread for clarity? Oh well. I'm happy with it. I'll post a picture of the finalized result shortly. Gotta finish a side project for a neighbor first.

Anyway thanks,
Jerry

Old 05-28-2018, 02:44 PM
av8or1
Senior User
This arrived over the weekend:

My truck didn't have one when I bought it, though the 99 did. Interestingly enough. Anyway kinda cool to have one regardless. This order even came with the pouch, so I'd have to give it thumbs up overall. I may get the shop manual from them too, but that'll be later on.

Thanks,
Jerry

Old 05-28-2018, 02:52 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
When I bought my truck from the previous owner I was happy to see the manual, pouch and the window sticker was included.

Old 05-29-2018, 08:59 AM
av8or1
Senior User
Sous- funny how seeing those things gives you a warm fuzzy that you don't get otherwise isn't it? Getting the original window sticker is just cool! Do you have a picture of that?

Old 05-29-2018, 03:36 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
I can get one soon. I will post it up when I snap one.

Old 05-29-2018, 04:40 PM
Y2KW57
Getting the original window sticker is just cool! Do you have a picture of that?
While Sous is hunting down his, this could tide you over for a bit...

I think all three of us have a 2000 model year, so the colors of the Monroni (window sticker) should all be the same (red). Ford didn't switch to blue for quite some time, which is a bit ironic.

Old 05-29-2018, 05:02 PM
Y2KW57
This arrived over the weekend:

My truck didn't have one when I bought it, though the 99 did. Interestingly enough. Anyway kinda cool to have one regardless. This order even came with the pouch, so I'd have to give it thumbs up overall. I may get the shop manual from them too, but that'll be later on.

Thanks,
Jerry
Who is "them"?

The manual you received looks like a reproduction.

Is it a reprint from Helm? Or is it from eBay?

The original and complete suite of owners manuals that shipped with 2000 model year trucks looks like this:

The black neoprene pouch with Ford emblem is not shown in the photo above, because you already have that. What IS shown, however, in the upper right hand corner, is the 7.3L supplement. If your reproduction owner's manual doesn't include the maintenance, service, and operational guidelines for the 7.3L engine (as they were originally contained in this supplement), and you wanted to have all the relevant manuals on hand, then you might want to look into whether or not you can get this 7.3L supplement from "them", if you are into having all the original manuals (or facsimiles thereof) in your glove box for posterity.

I'm trying to think now if the first time I've ever looked at these manuals was in order to take this photo today?

Here is a close up of the period correct artwork of the original owners manual:

And here is perhaps the most useful manual in the entire suite, as it has information regarding coolant maintenance to prevent cavitation, transmission shift speeds, trailer towing tables, fuel filtration, cold weather operation, auxiliary powertrain control module operation, diesel specific capacities, and other information that can all be found on FTE, but is nice to have condensed in a compact reference guide in the glove box:

Old 05-29-2018, 05:30 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Ran out to the truck real quick and snapped these photos.

Quick Reply: 2000 F-350 7.3L SD History Thread