Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 F-350 7.3L SD History Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 01:40 AM
av8or1
Senior User
av8or1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
2000 F-350 7.3L SD History Thread

First, I suppose I should begin with some context. At the suggestion of DogRidesInBack I am creating a type of "This Is My Truck" thread regarding my 2000 F-350 XLT 7.3L SD CC LB DRW 6-speed 4x4 beast. The posting design/approach he recommended made good sense to me: keep a central thread like this chronicling the truck's life under your ownership, but have breakout threads for specific topics, where appropriate. It all made sense, though a quick search didn't show whether or not this suggested posting/story-sharing model was being used/followed on ford-trucks.com or not. I decided to put the thread here (as opposed to the 99-17 forum) since mine is a 2000 and might be of more interest to the 99-03 bunch. Point me in the right direction if that's not the case.

Background. I had wanted to get a "real man's truck" (as my wife dubs it) for some time. The notion finally turned serious in 2011 and so I laid rubber to the pavement in an effort to find my dream truck. At the outset I tried to establish the criteria with which I would conduct the search. I ask that you understand that this laundry list of stuff doesn't indicate some type of "uppity" aspect to my personality or anything. We as humans like what we like, you know? We don't know why we like it, we just know that we do. And the following is what I like, for whatever reason:
  1. Had to be a Ford Powerstroke; again, for whatever reason I just didn't find the Dodge Ram compelling enough despite the reputation of the Cummins to include it in the search and was put off by the Chevys.
  2. Was only interested in a 7.3L. I wasn't even entertaining a 6.0 due to its notorious reputation for reliability and maintenance difficulty/costs, amongst other things.
  3. Originally I wanted an OBS. Somehow I just liked the OBS over the 99+ re-designed body. I don't know why really, but one item that stuck out for me was the fenders; I preferred the sheet metal variant of the OBS over the fiberglass of the 99+. Just as a fer-example. And yes, I am aware that they didn't make as much power as the 99+ models did.
  4. Had to be 4WD. Yes, I know that a 4x4 doesn't help you haul or tow more. I just grew up in the country so dealing with mud in a pasture is in my DNA. 4WD is clearly what you want in such scenarios. Not that I get into those much anymore, admittedly, but hey, just in case, right?
  5. Would not consider an on-the-fly, vacuum operated 4WD engagement/disengagement variant. Nope, for me I wanted the manual version with the on-the-floor shifter.
  6. Although, provided it stays cool, the modern automatic transmissions with their torque multiplier will outperform their manual transmission counterparts, I still wanted the 5- or 6-speed manual transmission. Another one I can't really explain. See the farm/pastureland thing above I suppose.
  7. Was only interested in a crew cab (CC) and long bed (LB). I needed the cab for the future family and wanted the bigger bed to be able to haul whatever I wanted to haul whenever I wanted to haul it. Which is one of the primary reasons I wanted a truck like this in the first place, but I digress.
  8. Only wanted a dually (DRW). I just liked the notion of having an increased tongue weight, and I liked the look. And I've never owned one. And I've wanted to. And I've always been envious when I saw one on the road somewhere.
  9. Although I wanted an OBS, I didn't want an IDI 7.3L. I just felt that it was more maintenance than the newer design and didn't produce the same amount of power. Yes, I realize that this narrowed the search; heck almost all of these items did that too!
  10. Wanted a truck with relatively lower mileage. Anything under 250K would have been acceptable, with under 200K being gravy. Yes, I know that usage type and operation frequency play a large role in the condition of a vehicle over time, as does its maintenance. I simply wanted that and lower miles, if possible, that's all.

And that was the short list. Nah, there were a few other items such as maintenance history, records keeping, previous ownership information, title status, etc. but I apply that to every vehicle I purchase, so that was nothing new or specific to my 7.3L search.

So. Onto the search I suppose. In the big picture I needed a little over two years to find the truck I bought (and still have). I came close to buying on a couple of occasions, but one thing or another didn't line up, so I bailed. I'm glad I did. I couldn't be happier with where I ended up. I considered options from all over the USA; I was willing to go anywhere for the right truck. I searched on EBay, CL, auto trader websites, forums, just anywhere I could find truck listings. My search was purely Internet-based, I never looked in the local newspaper for example, nor did I bother to take random walks (or make phone calls to) local dealerships. I had done those things in the past; they never bore fruit. Not for me anyway. So I decided to stick to the online stuff...

For the first year or so I only viewed/considered OBS possibilities. The difficulty I encountered during this time period mostly centered around the 4WD "requirement" (if you will). I simply couldn't find a 7.3L SD CC LB DRW with 4WD! They were all 2WD. I tried to "reason" with myself over this a few times, but always came back to "you want what you want, so don't give up" and it was with that notion that I passed on those 2WD opportunities and pressed ahead with my search. A somewhat lesser issue that reared its head often enough to be noticeable was condition. Many of the OBS options I found just looked beat up, rotted out or "ridden hard and put away wet"; that type of thing. That said, there were enough "clean" trucks out there to warrant continuing with the search, so that I did. For a while. In the end though, the general lack of 4WD opportunities grew wearisome. Sure, there were retrofit kits to convert from 2WD but they were costly and several diesel techs warned that they "shouldn't be installed by anyone who hasn't done it 1000 times, if you do it at all." Which most of them didn't recommend. That didn't dissuade me in and of itself, but my inherent feeling was that it would be better to find a truck that had 4WD when it rolled out of the factory; and it was that new "requirement" that I somehow felt more comfortable with. It also narrowed the search options even further. WAY further.

Therefore after that year had passed, I decided to open my mind a bit and consider the newer body designed Powerstrokes (99+). Doing so certainly cured the 4WD-from-the-factory thing, as I saw many more options that fit this criteria, no problem. Since I was still limiting the search to the 7.3L, that meant that the maximum year model was 2003. Therefore the search pool enlarged, but clearly not as much as if I had been open to later engine models. The basic formula remained unchanged: Internet-based, no dealerships. Time went by. After another year, I must confess that I was getting frustrated. I never considered ending the search, but by the end it was becoming more of a grind than the exhilaration that I recalled feeling when I began the endeavor. All pretty normal considering the circumstances, I understand, just sayin'.

Then one day, mysteriously: low-and-behold, wouldn't ya know it; I found her. Why had it happened on THIS day and not some time during the past year? Dunno. Unimportant. Note that here was the irony: my potential dream truck was at a mom-n-pop DEALERSHIP ... of all things (!!!!!!) in a small central Texas town about 50 minutes away (I'm in Austin, BTW, well thereabouts). Who would have figured!??!?! Mind you, when I said that I was avoiding dealerships, I was referring to the large ones in bigger cities where they pounce on ya the minute you walk in the door, etc. This wasn't that. It was just one gal who had taken over for her father, who had started the business some years prior. Hell, the only reason that I discovered the dealership was because they had placed a CL ad. I was responding to that ad, pure and simple. Anyway, after two long years, this seemed like it could be the one. Maybe, just maybe I had struck pay-dirt. I made an appointment for the next day, sent email to my manager requesting to take vacation, and was up at 6 am browsing he CL pictures several times as I (im)patiently awaited departure time. I left early and arrived as she was setting up shop. I asked to be the first to start 'er up, and of course I checked the exhaust in the process. Anyway, here she was, as I found her on-display at the dealership that morning (yes I've kept these pictures!):

So I took her for a test drive, pulled into a parking lot and with the checklist of stuff that I had put together over those two years (much of which I found on ford-trucks.com BTW) I diligently went through each item, line by line. The truck held up to that initial scrutiny, so I took it back after 40 minutes or so (yeah, she called me and asked "where are you?") and requested to take it to a local diesel shop for a once over to include an injector buzz test. She agreed, which I considered a good sign, and so I went that day. The diesel tech came out with the scanner and did his thing. Afterwards he made me aware that possibly #8 might need further examination and that my ICP was in need of immediate replacement, as was the idler pulley. Other than that he said it looked good. So I drove it back to the lady and said "this is the truck for me." And don't say that to a salesman/woman BTW, not good negotiation strategy. She just smiled from ear to ear and I remember thinking "you idgit, what did you just say? Are you kidding me?" but I digress.

Short version is that she was asking $11,200. I offered $9,500. She countered. I said "$10,000 or I walk now, I don't care what I said earlier." She agreed, which kinda made me think that I didn't get the best deal I could have, but at that point I didn't care, I just wanted the truck and didn't want to pay more than 10 for it. With that the deal was struck and it WAS MINE! IT WAS MINE! Woooo-hooooo! I think I must have called my entire family and sent pictures to everyone I could think of. After I settled down we agreed to the payment terms, signed a contract and decided upon a take-delivery date. The tailgate needed some touchup so I took it home 3 days later sans that. Picked that up about a week after, freshly painted.

To help give you some perspective regarding the final purchase price, the sale occurred in January, 2014. I haven't kept up with the market costs of 7.3L trucks much since then, though I delved into that within the past week. More on that later.

And here she was the day after purchase:

Ok enough for the first post. Hope this type of thing is more commonplace than the quick search I made seemed to indicate. Understand that the point behind sharing my story is to pass on what I have learned to others with the hope that they might benefit from it.

Thanks,
Jerry

Last edited by av8or1; 02-15-2018 at 01:50 AM. Reason: WL
Old 02-15-2018, 06:32 AM
AllaboutMPG
Postmaster
AllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by av8or1 View Post
Understand that the point behind sharing my story is to pass on what I have learned to others with the hope that they might benefit from it.

Thanks,
Jerry

Jerry,
that is exactly what makes this place such a good site. The people who spend time here are looking to share and help as much as looking for help.

Excellent 1st post and nice truck. Pic's are always welcome.

Look forward to having you with us.

Old 02-15-2018, 06:38 AM
ArmyLifer
Senior User
ArmyLifer has a great reputation on FTE.ArmyLifer has a great reputation on FTE.ArmyLifer has a great reputation on FTE.ArmyLifer has a great reputation on FTE.ArmyLifer has a great reputation on FTE.
Nice truck. I like the thread start. Keep ‘em coming.

Old 02-15-2018, 07:03 AM
530ktmpilot
Senior User
530ktmpilot is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.530ktmpilot is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Congrats! It definitely takes patience to find the right one but when you’ve done the proper research and find one that checks all the boxes, there can’t be a better feeling. It took me well over a year to find mine- a 75k mile 2006 king ranch that looked like new, was all stock, and doesnt look like it had ever hauled anything or been off the pavement. Looked at quite a few trucks folks considered were “clean” that were anything but. As you did, I found mine by happenchance driving by a honda dealer on new years. 2 years and 20k miles,later, I’m still all smiles everytime I get into that truck...

Attached Images  
Old 02-15-2018, 09:46 AM
BBslider001
Post Fiend
BBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud of
Really nice find and welcome! Stick around....great group here and some very knowledgeable guys that are more than willing to help.

As far as Injector #8, they all do that it seems. My SD has done that even after I added a Fuel Rail FX to address the deadhead issue. I have never worried about it because it runs so dang well. If you have other maint. questions etc, ask away!

Old 02-15-2018, 11:55 AM
afmedic
Elder User
afmedic has a good reputation on FTE.afmedic has a good reputation on FTE.afmedic has a good reputation on FTE.
Awesome find! That's what I was looking for, but since I didn't have any money (the kids sucked it all up) and I was wanting to trade my excursion straight up I kinda had to take what I could get. I have always liked the build threads, even if it was just more of a chronicled history of the vehicle. It's a good way to keep everything in one place. I started one not too long ago ("always something but I love her anyways") and have since documented almost everything I've done. If nothing else, it'll be a good reference when people search for things down the road. Looking forward to all of the TLC I'm sure you'll post about! There's a wealth of knowledge on here, and they've helped me along many times!

Old 02-15-2018, 12:01 PM
Sous
Post Fiend
Sous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant future
Nice find and story! It has some nice accessories to boot!

Old 02-15-2018, 05:45 PM
Stewart_H
The Nekkid Super Mod
Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by av8or1 View Post
It all made sense, though a quick search didn't show whether or not this suggested posting/story-sharing model was being used/followed on ford-trucks.com or not.
It's a very common practice for users to have a "build thread" where they chronicle the evolution of their rig. Many, many build threads have come and gone over time, but more so over in the Excursion forum where they are much more commonplace.

...keep a central thread like this chronicling the truck's life under your ownership
Well, let's call you the OP (original poster) but that doesn't mean you own it.

Anyone and everyone may post in this thread if they so choose, and as long as they follow the user guidelines.

Don't be afraid to tell us a little about yourself too, while you chronicle the many changes of your rig through time!

Stewart

Old 02-15-2018, 06:56 PM
DogRidesInBack
Posting Guru
DogRidesInBack is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.DogRidesInBack is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Stewart_H View Post
It's a very common practice for users to have a "build thread" where they chronicle the evolution of their rig. Many, many build threads have come and gone over time, but more so over in the Excursion forum where they are much more commonplace.
The breakouts is kind of my twist on this forum, but more common on other forums. So I for instance broke out the 10 millionth cold-start thread here when I ran into that problem myself. The topic would have been lost in the build thread.

My view of the breakouts is to leave value for those with similar issues in the future, but having a single build thread is common here and provides a view of time and modifications and purpose, combined with repairs and maintenance.

Anyway, it will be great to also watch what you do with your truck, the changes you make, the purpose you have for it, and (gulp) the repairs you need to make to keep it running.

Welcome to FTE! Hope I can be of assistance at some point. I'm kind of new here myself and this is my first Ford truck and my first diesel.

Old 02-15-2018, 08:25 PM
Stewart_H
The Nekkid Super Mod
Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by DogRidesInBack View Post
The breakouts is kind of my twist on this forum, but more common on other forums.
I guess I never thought about it, but I always just thought that's how everyone did it. But I don't usually follow build threads, so there is that, too, LOL!

Stewart

Old 02-15-2018, 10:11 PM
av8or1
Senior User
Thank y'all for the welcome, I appreciate it!

530ktmpilot - Congratulations WRT finding your truck. I agree, patience can lead you to a good place; if you have enough of it.

BBslider001 - Yeah, the #8 phenomenon was something I had gleaned off of ford-trucks.com prior to that point, so when he said that I didn't get too worried. The tech stated as much; 'said that the buzz test was good so to focus on the other stuff.

Stewart_H - Ok thank you for the feedback from a mod!

Sous - Yes there were a few accessories; the first time I saw it I was particularly in favor of the ranch-hand front and rear bumper mod!

Ok to continue the story...

The first week I had my F-350 I took it to a local Firestone shop to replace the batteries. I had several references that between them seemed to concur that Interstate was the best choice for our trucks. So after researching it a bit, I went with that. Firestone is where you buy Interstate batteries and that was the sole reason I went to this particular shop. While there I decided to replace the front tires too. They were beginning to show wear and dry rot, so it was time. I didn't like the raised white lettering on my dually either, so... As I mentioned in another thread, the previous owner was running 265/75R16 instead of the 235/85R16 that the manufacturer's tag calls for. Well, not knowing any better, I just told the guy behind the counter to replace with like size. It wouldn't be until a month later that I looked at the tag for the first time. So I'd recommend taking a look before doing something about your tires. Personally I prefer to go with the manufacturer's recommendation, and that is what I will do the next time I need tires. However the fronts are still in great condition and the rears were good from the day I bought it, so that will be a while. I've been happy with the Interstate batteries BTW. They've held up for 4 years now and still do a good job. Thus I would have to say that they were a good buy.

Total for the batteries and front tires: $828.49.

That first week I also changed all of the fluids; oil, transmission, transfer case, diffs. Held off on a coolant flush only because the lady and the mom-n-pop dealership told me that they had done it just prior to my purchasing it (because they had replaced the water pump) and the coolant looked good, so I left it be. Actually, I had the oil changed in the small town while the deal was being finalized, now that I think about it, but a minor point. The remainder of stuff would come after returning home.

Oil change: $83.78
Front and rear diff service: $256.46
Transmission and transfer case service: $169.55

That first week I also had spare keys made and bought one of those magnetic I'm-stupid-and-locked-myself-out boxes in which you can store a spare, then found a place underneath on the frame but out of the weather to attach it.

Keys and magnetic idgit box: $6.87

Wow, that first week was busier than I remembered! In addition to the above, the receipts I have on file tell me that I replaced the air filter and the coolant cap. I seem to recall the coolant cap being a recommended upgrade, but admittedly I just don't recall at the moment.

Air filter and coolant cap: $32.98

Since the diesel tech told me that the ICP needing immediate replacement, I got on that straight away. I chose to go the dealership route and bought both the sensor and connector at the outfit closest to me. 'Had it in stock, no problem.

ICP sensor and connector: $312.59

I even made a video regarding the replacement and posted it to YouTube. This is the link:

The next month in February the state inspection came due. In Texas, an annual inspection is required and I am grateful for that because you don't have the phenomenon of rolling trash cans all over your roads. Anyway, in Texas, to pass inspection all duallys need rear mud flaps, period. Else it fails right there. There were no mud flaps when I purchased it, so I was in need of a set. Therefore I googled it and found a few options. Wasn't even gonna consider the naked ladies thing, just too out there for me. So I found what I considered to be a good option from a small company named DuraFlap, which is based somewhere in Oregon I think. I decided to purchase both front and rear flaps, matching set. Installed them and it passed inspection, no issues.

New mud flaps: $327 (shipping included)

And here are the flaps I ended up with:

Wow, I did several things right out of the chute! Also in February I decided to replace the glow plug relay (GPR). I went with the recommendation from this forum to upgrade to the White-Rodgers variant over the OEM option. Glad I did, it's a monster! The installation was pretty simple really; access was good. Prior to my son being born, I did a fair amount of hobby electronics. So when I saw that this recommended upgrade GPR was available through Mouser, I added it to an existing order. Since I have an account and ordered a bunch of other unrelated stuff, the shipping was practically null. Here is a side-by-side comparison of the Stancor White-Rodgers versus the OEM GPR that it replaced, and after installation:

New monster GPR: $56.55

In March I noticed a slight pull to the right. So I took it in for an alignment. Turns out that the left front lower ball joint was bad, which led to the alignment issue. I would have preferred to do the work myself, but I was already there and would need to return for an alignment anyway, so whatever. "Replace it" I said, and walked over to a Mexican place for breakfast, as they have stupid-good breakfast tacos.

Alignment + new ball joint: $463.02

I never heard much WRT to the idler pulley that the tech had mentioned, so I delayed doing much about it. August came 'round and suddenly I did notice the idler and how. Decided to do the tensioner pulley while I was at at. I also noticed fluid coming out of the left front axle. I knew it was a seal, but was suspecting that it was the outer. Work was eating my lunch, so there was no time to work on any projects. Took it in to a diesel shop that's close to my house, walked home and went to work. Turns out that it was the inner axle seal that was bad. The shop refused to replace the outers, saying that they "pop out almost instantly, so it's not worth the effort. The inners do the work anyway." Hmmmmmm...that was news to me. I've not encountered that on any vehicle I've owned. Has anyone else heard that BTW???

New inner axle seals + new idler and tensioner pulleys: $848.78

Ok enough for now. Gotta put the son to bed. He's almost 3, so that hill is ever-increasing in grade.

Thanks,
Jerry

Old 02-16-2018, 01:01 AM
av8or1
Senior User
Pressing onward...

In January of 2015, one year later, I noticed that I couldn't see as well in the rain. A simple job of replacing the wipers corrected that.

New wipers: $34.62

In February a neighbor purchased a camper for his F-350 and wanted to offload his diamond plated toolbox. I told him I was interested and he said he'd "donate" it to the cause. I tried to give him something for it, but he just wanted it out of his life. So I took it.

New-to-me diamond plated toolbox for the bed: $0

Come spring (April) I decided that I had waited long enough to rid myself of the annoying noise made by the front left bearing. Our son was due any day, so once again there was no time for projects.

Replace front left wheel bearing and seals: $682.99

After our son came into being, mom was sleeping a lot, so was son. Therefore I decided to take on a simple and quick project with the truck: flushing the power steering fluid. I wasn't experiencing any issues, but the fluid looked a little dark so I decided to do the flush. Bought the supplies and did it myself this time though, so no labor involved. While I was there I decided to replace the belt.

Flush power steering system: $54.59
New belt: $48.70

In July I changed the oil, even though the mileage didn't warrant it. Time did, IMHO, so I went with it.

Oil change: $117.99

Later that month the parking brake finally gave up the ghost. Sigh ... the repair I had been dreading. I had hoped that it would last until the fall at least when I might have a chance to get to it, but nope. Wasn't to be. Had to take it to the shop, just no time with a 3-month old. Replaced the rotors all around, pads all around, 2 wheel seals and the parking brake.

Mother of all brake jobs: $1652.36

My battery cables were beginning to show their age. They just looked "worn out" and tired. Did more research on ford-trucks and decided to go with the military style cables from custombatterycables.com. He fabricates custom battery cables for whatever you have; there are some makes and models that are more popular than others, so he has ready-made kits and doesn't need any measurements from you. One of those kits is for a 99-03 Powerstroke. So I ordered a set and installed them myself. Fun little project; getting to the starter terminal was a pain, but hey...

Custom battery cables w/military terminals for a 2000 F-350: $323.94

The previous window tinting was beginning to look atrocious. I mean bad. Flakes, cuts, delamentation and foul-looking color variations. So it was high time to get that corrected.

Window tinting: $300

January 2017 I was poking around the engine bay and decided to replace the starter solenoid. I wasn't having any issues, but boy the previous one looked like poop. The local auto parts stores didn't have it in stock, but the dealership did, so I went to the dealership again. Did the installation myself of course, only a few minutes. No labor here.

New starter solenoid and wire: $93.68

Last April I decided it was time to flush the coolant. While there I decided to flush the brake fluid too. Why not? Unfortunately time wasn't on my side at that time. So I paid someone to do it.

Coolant and brake fluid flush: $299.85

Just a few months ago in November I began experiencing the well known IVS issue with my accelerator pedal. As it turns out, one of the local kids who went to diesel school opened a shop a few years ago in our neighborhood (live in the country a bit I do). So I thought I'd ask him about it. He seemed knowledgeable regarding engines, so I decided to let him take a look. Long story short version is that he replaced the APP. That didn't end up being the right thing to do, though I didn't know it at the time. In the end I went to a local junkyard and found an integrated pedal assembly in a late-2001 model F-250 Powerstroke. Brought it home, soldered everything in together myself. Works just fine now!

Local guy's attempt at correcting the pedal issue: $90
My fix (which works): $10 (sans fuel to-n-from the salvage yard)

Made a video regarding that work too and posted a thanks to a fellow ford-trucks member. Actually the video is in three parts, but I digress. Here is part I:

Last month in preparation for the annual state inspection, I needed to figure out why the brake light on my instrument cluster wasn't illuminating when you applied the parking brake. As I learned last year, this light is actually a requirement on trucks like ours in order to pass the inspection. So I returned to the junkyard and found a 2000 F-350 Powerstroke and got the instrument cluster out of it. Swapped a bulb from that into the brake light receptor on my cluster. Nada; fail. Then I noticed that the switch seemed like it was sticking. So I bought a new parking brake light switch via Amazon (and the source was actually a Ford dealership in Vegas) and installed it. Problem solved. Trivial.

New-to-me instrument cluster: $20 (seemed high!)
New parking brake light switch: $16.99

Ok, that's it. You're current. In the 4 years I've owned it, I've spent $7131.78 on her, or about $1782.95 per year. And really those numbers are rather tame I think. I haven't needed to do any injector work yet and the engine itself is holding up well. If anything along those lines had occurred, the number would be larger that's for certain. I'm not complainin', just sayin'. Like many things in life, owning a truck such as ours isn't for the faint of heart nor wallet. And naturally, these numbers don't include things like inspections, registrations and insurance premiums. I intentionally omitted those since you have those with any vehicle you operate. The insurance for our trucks was quite inexpensive by comparison IMHO. I digress.

Well you're not quite caught-up actually. I am actually right smack dab in the middle of a truck project, but more on that tomorrow. Wife is calling, it's late.

Thanks,
Jerry

Old 02-16-2018, 08:33 AM
BBslider001
Post Fiend
BBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud of
Well, I guess I can tell you that these trucks are pretty easy to work on. Unless you like spending gobs of coin like that, I would do most of that stuff yourself. We can certainly help. I really hate to say, but some of those charges for this work is close to five times what you could have saved doing it yourself. If to cost me $1800 a year to keep mine on the road, I'd be broke! LOL!! This truck seemed to be on great shape, so you shouldn't be dropping that kind of coin to keep it going down the road. I mean, $1700 for a brake job?! Even all the way around,you could go with aftermarket performance rotors and HD pads and spend about $300....then spend 4-5 hours MAYBE doing the job yourself.

Anyways, thanks for sharing your story. It's certainly a good one.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:59 PM
av8or1
Senior User
BBSlider1 - Yeah I am in complete agreement with you actually. I - and my pocketbook - would have preferred that I do the work myself. However my largest obstacle is time. Work has been kicking my tail for the past few years as my responsibilities have grown. Complicate that with marriage and a son then whatever free time I might have had evaporates rather quickly. I've done the jobs/projects that I've had time for, or that I could make time for, but that's been it. Everything has suffered really; no time to work on automotive projects, house projects, fly or exercise. Hell I don't think I could go 5 miles without walking at this point! That used to be a warm-up. Those days are gone. For now. As our son has aged a bit, I'm finding holes in the schedule here 'n there. Been doing at least some running (2 miles is hardly "running" but I digress). Anyway, you get the point. I do agree with you though, so understand that. The brake work you referenced specifically contained $900 in labor alone. I think the invoice quoted 7.5 or 8 hours, don't recall now...

And with the notion of doing your own projects in mind I'd like to offer my current F-350 endeavor. Earlier this week I agreed to terms on this 1999 F-350:

I did so for the purpose of upgrading my interior and door mirrors. At this point I'd like to thank fellow member Y2KW57. He has imparted a significant amount of knowledge WRT an interior upgrade for a 2000 F-350! He did so via a separate thread in which I raised the question of an upgrade to a 2004 interior. Here is the link to that breakout thread, if you will, even though I actually started that one prior to initiating this thread:

2000 Interior Upgrade thread

I didn't realize that Ford had made a significant change in its electrical power distribution in these trucks in 2002. He set me straight; and that sent me in a different direction entirely. As a result, I decided to find another truck of the same approximate vintage as mine, but with the distinction that the new truck be a Lariat model with the leather interior, etc. It's not necessarily the leather I'm after, but rather the power seats and power door mirrors.

So the plan is to swap the interiors and the mirrors, then sell the 1999 on. Unfortunately the truck is located in Mississippi, but no problem, I have a buddy who is an airline employee ... his passion and hobby is traveling. He'll go anywhere just about, so I offered this mission: go to MS and bring this truck back. He was "all in" and we plan for him to take delivery late next week. I'll begin by removing the bulk of my interior this weekend.

At Y2KW57's suggestion, I may also swap the wheels between the trucks, though I'm not interested in the larger tires. I've come to like the idea of steels all the way around, so...

Anyway that's the current project. I'll keep this thread updated with progress.

Thanks!
Jerry

Old 02-16-2018, 09:31 PM
BBslider001
Post Fiend
Nice Jerry! And I hope you know I meant no disrespect AT ALL....I just hate to see someone pay gobs of money for something he can do himself with our help...plus it's just fun to wrench on these trucks! I am anxious to see this interior upgrade happen.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2000 F-350 7.3L SD History Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.