Relocating High mount Camera?? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 2017+ Super Duty
Reload this Page >

Relocating High mount Camera??

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Old 02-13-2018, 11:40 AM
one farmer
New User
one farmer is starting off with a positive reputation.

My A.R.E truck cap will be getting installed this week ans I was looking into relocating the camera that is mounted in the top brake light. Looks like make a groomet for light and mount in the cap for camera. Dosent seem to bad of a project. Has anyone tried this yet?

Old 02-13-2018, 11:47 AM
InkMing
Senior User
InkMing is starting off with a positive reputation.
I know there a couple folks that have gotten caps, but not sure what they did with the camera. Curious to find out as well.

Old 07-12-2018, 04:43 PM
dthrckt
Freshman User
dthrckt is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ever move your camera? My cap comes in 2 weeks from now...hoping to do the same.

Old 07-13-2018, 07:27 AM
InkMing
Senior User
InkMing is starting off with a positive reputation.
Haven't done anything with mine.

Old 07-13-2018, 07:47 AM
dthrckt
Freshman User
I found the kits for relocating tailgate camera. High mount camera is definitely bigger and would have to modify the housing. When I get time to take tailgate plastic off I'll see if they both have the same connector. Can probably modify the mount from the tailgate camera relocation kit to fit the bigger camera, and the cables long enough...

Probably won't try it for a month but I'll report back.

Old 10-03-2018, 08:02 PM
Old_Duck
New User
Old_Duck is starting off with a positive reputation.
Has any body relocated there CHMSL Camera yet?
I am looking to relocated mine to low profile headache rack I am looking to purchase.
Thanks

Old 10-08-2018, 11:18 AM
dthrckt
Freshman User
Emailed Rostra sales rep direct. No response. I think they can stuff their product...can't even respond to an email. I have some time off in November. I think i'll get the camera connectors and make my own shielded extension cable and fab a housing for the CHMSL cam, and then a plug for the CHMSL hole.

Old 10-08-2018, 12:22 PM
Mlambert22
Junior User
Mlambert22 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm not sure how modifying this camera will effect the operation of the 360 camera as the system uses data from all of the cameras to generate the view

Old 10-08-2018, 12:38 PM
dthrckt
Freshman User
Doesn't seem to use the high mount camera to do the 360 view....since it is entirely blocked by my cap right now and I get a 360 view.

Old 10-09-2018, 03:49 AM
vib8r
Freshman User
vib8r is starting off with a positive reputation.
I would also like to know how you make out moving the camera. I have a cap on my truck too and I would like to move it to allow a view inside the cap. Too bad ARE and the other manufactures
didn't have a option of a small transparent panel right in that area on the cap to allow the camera to see inside without having to go through the effort to move it. That way a person could take
the cap off and not have to worry about moving the camera again.

Old 10-09-2018, 05:00 AM
Narayan
New User
Narayan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by vib8r View Post
I would also like to know how you make out moving the camera. I have a cap on my truck too and I would like to move it to allow a view inside the cap. Too bad ARE and the other manufactures
didn't have a option of a small transparent panel right in that area on the cap to allow the camera to see inside without having to go through the effort to move it. That way a person could take
the cap off and not have to worry about moving the camera again.
As I understand it, the high mount camera is primarily used for viewing inside the bed, particularly for fifth-wheel hitching. No one with a cap will be using a fifth wheel trailer.

I receive my truck in Dec and will take it straight to the ARE cap dealer for install of the z-series I ordered yesterday...

Old 10-09-2018, 05:44 AM
vib8r
Freshman User
vib8r is starting off with a positive reputation.
Even though I might not be using a fifth wheel trailer I would still like to be able to see inside the box/cap from inside the truck.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:26 AM
dthrckt
Freshman User
Finally got a reply from Rostra. They want a picture of the CHMSL camera connector. Anybody w/o a cap installed yet want to snap one and post it? Kind of hard to get to mine at the moment, w/o sitting on my cab roof.

Old 10-11-2018, 12:32 PM
Sarge261
Postmaster
Sarge261 has a brilliant futureSarge261 has a brilliant futureSarge261 has a brilliant futureSarge261 has a brilliant futureSarge261 has a brilliant futureSarge261 has a brilliant futureSarge261 has a brilliant futureSarge261 has a brilliant futureSarge261 has a brilliant futureSarge261 has a brilliant futureSarge261 has a brilliant future

Its not a great picture as the harness is plugged into the camera but its the best I have.

Sarge

Old 10-11-2018, 12:46 PM
dthrckt
Freshman User
Thanks!!

I'll forward that and see if that's sufficient. If not I'll probably have to climb up there and take mine off lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Relocating High mount Camera??

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.