Best way to repair these emblems? Could have hijacked Abe's post - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Best way to repair these emblems? Could have hijacked Abe's post

Old 02-09-2018, 10:36 AM
Secret Agent

df85732 has a very good reputation on FTE.df85732 has a very good reputation on FTE.df85732 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Talking Best way to repair these emblems? Could have hijacked Abe's post

Well I have been putting off asking this question because I feel so stupid having to ask it. How did I get to this point? I had two near perfect 350 emblems nailed to the wall and at some point the nail came out and these two fell to the floor breaking both of them. Well it happened, get past it right. So, is there any way to repair them or do I start my search for these hard to find parts?

Old 02-09-2018, 10:49 AM
Post Fiend

abe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant future
Oh no! That's horrible news! I do not know if they can be welded or soldered or Super Glued... But some one here will know. These are not the ones from your truck? What do they look like?
Old 02-09-2018, 10:55 AM
Secret Agent

df85732 has a very good reputation on FTE.df85732 has a very good reputation on FTE.df85732 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abe View Post
These are not the ones from your truck? What do they look like?
Yep these are from my Truck. I felt sick when I saw it!

The before picture!!!!!!
Old 02-09-2018, 11:01 AM
Senior User

Mr. Ed has a good reputation on FTE.Mr. Ed has a good reputation on FTE.
Epoxy. Unless you know how to weld pot metal.

Later!
Mr. Ed
Old 02-09-2018, 06:23 PM
Roast em' if you got 'em

bobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant future
Ouch!
I'm not sure I'd try to weld on pot metal. I know it can be done and there's tons of arguments about how to do it. In this case those pieces are pretty small and the chance of ruining them is very high.
I think you are stuck with epoxy and search for a new set.

As a side note, when I hang emblems like that on the wall I poke small holes in the wall and basically "mount" the emblem just like it would be on the truck. Its a lot more stable and less prone to being knocked off.

Bobby
Old 02-09-2018, 06:49 PM
Post Fiend

abe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant future
The good thing is that each piece has one or more mounting pins. Although the bottom one only has one pin if you can join the pieces together it just might hold.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:54 PM
Junior User

rusty48 is starting off with a positive reputation.
If there just wall hangers, epoxy with a piece of metal on the back spanning the break also epoxied as a strong back? Assuming the back is flush of coarse. If not drill press and try to dowl it with a pin to assist the epoxy? Just my 2 cents
Old 02-09-2018, 08:29 PM
Freshman User

cgrocen is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Have you thought of using Super Alloy 1 from Muggy Weld? It is specifically designed for repairing pot metal. Low melting point of 350 degrees F which is below that of pot metal. Watch some of the videos on their site. Fantastic stuff. A bit pricey, but I think worth every penny.

https://www.muggyweld.com/?gclid=EAI...SAAEgIrH_D_BwE

Chris
Old 02-09-2018, 09:19 PM
Postmaster

topmoo has a spectacular reputation.topmoo has a spectacular reputation.topmoo has a spectacular reputation.topmoo has a spectacular reputation.topmoo has a spectacular reputation.topmoo has a spectacular reputation.topmoo has a spectacular reputation.topmoo has a spectacular reputation.topmoo has a spectacular reputation.topmoo has a spectacular reputation.topmoo has a spectacular reputation.
Maybe magic with a Dremel with a tiny grinding wheel. Grind a channel in the back and grind some sheetmetal to fit in the grooves and glue them in with epoxy. At least worth a try. I have fixed some similar non active parts that way.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:32 PM
Post Fiend

Harrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant future
Man that sucks big time.
I can't help much, but it doesn't have to be too strong of a repair. Once you get them installed, they should stay since mounted there is little to no pressure on them.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:46 PM
Post Fiend

Any update, Dave?