Large Truck My truck is bigger than yours. The forum for 2+ ton trucks (all years), COE's, Louisville's, Big-Job's etc.

F600 Split Rim Problem Solved

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 01:03 PM
Dirtbag
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's a picture of the 11.00x20 GOODYEAR radials and M35a2 wheels

Old 05-05-2018, 01:31 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 261 Likes on 215 Posts
Disagree if you’d like, but there are more than two military wheels. I cite six in the thread I linked in the earlier discussion. Below it is again. Edit - also note the fact that specs on military wheels are not released for publication in civilian references until their classified status is removed. So there may be more than the six wheels I referenced above.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...s-on-f600.html

The point is that measuring offset or backspace will help ensure that a set of wheels will work with the tires in a drw mounting. Stu

Old 07-05-2018, 10:06 PM
Ed Libby
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got a 77 Ford f600 duelly and I'm looking for ruins that would fit

I've got a 77 Ford f600 duelly and I'm looking for upgraded rims and i read you were selling a set off 6. If so how much you liking to get for them.

Old 07-08-2018, 06:30 AM
ASE_Mechanic
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Just want to say thank for this thread. I've been fighting the split-rim issue on my 64 F600 and came across this. Now, I didn't go with the military take-offs, but instead with a set of Accu-Ride steels. I will say that the part numbers on the lugs were a lifesaver, though. Thank you for that information!!!

As soon as the wheels come in and I get them mounted, I'll throw up some pics. :-)

Old 10-16-2018, 11:29 AM
poppatello
Senior User
Originally Posted by ASE_Mechanic
Just want to say thank for this thread. I've been fighting the split-rim issue on my 64 F600 and came across this. Now, I didn't go with the military take-offs, but instead with a set of Accu-Ride steels. I will say that the part numbers on the lugs were a lifesaver, though. Thank you for that information!!!

As soon as the wheels come in and I get them mounted, I'll throw up some pics. :-)

any pictures yet?

Old 07-23-2019, 05:24 PM
Cliffy carlock
New User
Originally Posted by banjojelly
I have a 1964 F600 with the common for the year two piece widow maker rims. The tires were worn out and the rims were rusty, and while I do have a local tire shop that will work with split rims, I did not think the rims were in good enough condition to survive tires being changed on them. Plus, at 200 dollars a tire for 9.00 x 20 tires, It would be $1,200 for new tires plus the cost of mounting and tubes. Spending $1200 on tires to put on obsolete rims for a truck that is only worth $800 is economics that only our government could justify.

I did a lot of reading on this forum and others, as well as a lot of google searching and emailing sellers of wheels for measurements. This has been a year and a half process off and on for me. Lots of people have asked the question "How do I replace my two piece rims?" Most of the time, the answer is something along the lines of "There was another factory option of different style rims and you might get lucky to find some but no one knows where to get them so good luck." Or "An aftermarket company made some that would fit but they haven't made any in years and no one has any, but you might get lucky to find some but no one knows where to get them so good luck." Or sometimes "So-and-so company will make you custom $$$$$ rims for your $800 dollar truck." Or my personal favorite "Why in the _____ are you wanting to drive a 64 F600 on the road for anyway!?"

I couldn't accept any of these answers, and about a month ago I stumbled upon a cheap and 100 percent bolt on solution for all of us with the split rim problem. It seams that even after Ford stopped using the 6 on 8.75 bolt pattern, the military used them on equipment with Rockwell style axles for years. They did not use split rim, but rather the much better lock ring style rim. They we also stud piloted using a ball seat style lug nut as apposed to the F600 hub piloted rims. It also appears that the military is phasing out this style of wheel and rim and replacing them. You can find them all over ebay. I measured a set and found they would bolt on my truck perfectly. I also researched lug nuts and found a set that I was confident would convert my truck from hub pilot to stud pilot without converting wheel studs. I took a gamble and ordered 6 military rims with mounted tires that were guaranteed to be 90% tread or higher, for $85 a piece from an ebay seller who had hundreds, if not thousands, of them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/173046524154?ul_noapp=true

I also ordered these lug nuts for the front

https://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/e...t-p-439-e5652r

And these for the rear

Inner https://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/e...t-p-439-e7897r

Outer https://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/e...r-p-439-e5977r

I have mounted all 6 on my truck and they fit perfect. The lug nuts for the front are made with an enlargement before the threads that will slide over the unthreaded portion of the front wheel studs.

I spent $600 plus shipping to do this conversion to my truck.

Hopefully for all of the other people with this same problem, this will be of some help.

Please tell me the contact to the dealer you got your wheels on Ebay. The link no longer works.

Thank you.

Old 11-08-2023, 06:58 PM
SCFlareside
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
great thread, does anyone know what lug nuts these are? The link is broken….

Originally Posted by banjojelly
I have a 1964 F600 with the common for the year two piece widow maker rims. The tires were worn out and the rims were rusty, and while I do have a local tire shop that will work with split rims, I did not think the rims were in good enough condition to survive tires being changed on them. Plus, at 200 dollars a tire for 9.00 x 20 tires, It would be $1,200 for new tires plus the cost of mounting and tubes. Spending $1200 on tires to put on obsolete rims for a truck that is only worth $800 is economics that only our government could justify.

I did a lot of reading on this forum and others, as well as a lot of google searching and emailing sellers of wheels for measurements. This has been a year and a half process off and on for me. Lots of people have asked the question "How do I replace my two piece rims?" Most of the time, the answer is something along the lines of "There was another factory option of different style rims and you might get lucky to find some but no one knows where to get them so good luck." Or "An aftermarket company made some that would fit but they haven't made any in years and no one has any, but you might get lucky to find some but no one knows where to get them so good luck." Or sometimes "So-and-so company will make you custom $$$$$ rims for your $800 dollar truck." Or my personal favorite "Why in the _____ are you wanting to drive a 64 F600 on the road for anyway!?"

I couldn't accept any of these answers, and about a month ago I stumbled upon a cheap and 100 percent bolt on solution for all of us with the split rim problem. It seams that even after Ford stopped using the 6 on 8.75 bolt pattern, the military used them on equipment with Rockwell style axles for years. They did not use split rim, but rather the much better lock ring style rim. They we also stud piloted using a ball seat style lug nut as apposed to the F600 hub piloted rims. It also appears that the military is phasing out this style of wheel and rim and replacing them. You can find them all over ebay. I measured a set and found they would bolt on my truck perfectly. I also researched lug nuts and found a set that I was confident would convert my truck from hub pilot to stud pilot without converting wheel studs. I took a gamble and ordered 6 military rims with mounted tires that were guaranteed to be 90% tread or higher, for $85 a piece from an ebay seller who had hundreds, if not thousands, of them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/173046524154?ul_noapp=true

I also ordered these lug nuts for the front

https://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/e...t-p-439-e5652r

And these for the rear

Inner https://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/e...t-p-439-e7897r

Outer https://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/e...r-p-439-e5977r

I have mounted all 6 on my truck and they fit perfect. The lug nuts for the front are made with an enlargement before the threads that will slide over the unthreaded portion of the front wheel studs.

I spent $600 plus shipping to do this conversion to my truck.

Hopefully for all of the other people with this same problem, this will be of some help.
lug nut link broken