Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Battery Jumper Pack

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 08:52 AM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
Question Battery Jumper Pack

I am looking for one of them for the cars and lawn equipment, just in case. What does anyone who has used them on the Powerstroke recommend? I'd like to get one that covers everything, just in case I do something stupid like leave the lights on overnight.

What should I be looking for, spec wise that will work? Sure, best is a starter hooked up to the wall but that might be a little too large to carry around and be an issue if there is no outlet.

TIA

Old 01-26-2018, 09:09 AM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
I carry a JNC 660 jump box, on long trip or in extreme cold, it's larger but has a replaceable battery and works well. I bought it used off eBay because it wouldn't hold a charge $15, new battery for $40 and it's worked flawlessly since.

Jump-N-Carry

Link: http://a.co/0o5KA0p

If If I ever replace it I'd probably buy something like this:

NOCO Genius Boost Amp 12V UltraSafe Lithium Jump Starter
by NOCO
Link: http://a.co/eYicBw4

If you're looking for a set of HEAVY DUTY jumper cables at an excellent price, these are incredible!

https://www.ebay.com/i/272074400813

Old 01-26-2018, 09:10 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
If you have dead batteries on a cold winter night far from an outlet... might I suggest a Honda generator, a battery charger from hell, plug in the block, and go back to the hotel room for some coffee and breakfast - maybe watch a movie. The only time in my life that I had to call AAA was in a parking lot in downtown Reno with two dead batteries and 7 degrees F. Nothing... and I mean nothing normal jumped the truck. Stinky was DOA without serious time on a regular charger and the block plugged in - or serious charging from a truck rigged to slap the amps to cold dead batteries.

With two good batteries, we're supposed to store 1700 CCA - and a jump might provide 500. A big chunk of that 500 amps is hogged by the glow plugs, and the starter gets the leftovers. If you are dead serious about buying a battery jumper pack, TWO of something like below might get it done.

That NOCO is cool, but it says right on the page it's good for diesel engines up to 3 liter. Here's the one for over 6 liter diesels: [
LINK LINK
] Remember, it charges from USB only - not a wall outlet. So... it takes days to charge it up to full.

Old 01-26-2018, 10:30 AM
aklim
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by Tugly
If you have dead batteries on a cold winter night far from an outlet... might I suggest a Honda generator, a battery charger from hell, plug in the block, and go back to the hotel room for some coffee and breakfast - maybe watch a movie. The only time in my life that I had to call AAA was in a parking lot in downtown Reno with two dead batteries and 7 degrees F. Nothing... and I mean nothing normal jumped the truck. Stinky was DOA without serious time on a regular charger and the block plugged in - or serious charging from a truck rigged to slap the amps to cold dead batteries.

With two good batteries, we're supposed to store 1700 CCA - and a jump might provide 500. A big chunk of that 500 amps is hogged by the glow plugs, and the starter gets the leftovers. If you are dead serious about buying a battery jumper pack, TWO of something like below might get it done.

That NOCO is cool, but it says right on the page it's good for diesel engines up to 3 liter. Here's the one for over 6 liter diesels: [LINK] Remember, it charges from USB only - not a wall outlet. So... it takes days to charge it up to full.
Supposedly the NOCO one you talked about has the ability to do a "12 VDC, 5 Amp Rapid Charge (3 Hour Recharge)"

Old 01-26-2018, 11:00 AM
pirschwagon
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've got NOCO, Snap-On and Craftsman. I have had to use all three plus a Jump to start some of the Trucks. The NOCO's are 1,000 AMP, the Snap On and Craftsman are 900 AMP.

IF the Batteries aren't "gone", I can use two 1,000 AMP NOCO's (one on each Battery) if you let them on for say 20 Minutes and then give her a Whirl.

I also have the 400 AMP for the Lawn Tractor's and such which seems to work well.

Like Rich says, the Glow Plugs eat a lot. One trick I learned long ago was to put a Jump Box by itself connected to the GLOW PLUG Relay before turning the Key with the other on the Batteries for a few minutes.

Old 01-26-2018, 11:20 AM
aklim
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by pirschwagon
I've got NOCO, Snap-On and Craftsman. I have had to use all three plus a Jump to start some of the Trucks. The NOCO's are 1,000 AMP, the Snap On and Craftsman are 900 AMP.

IF the Batteries aren't "gone", I can use two 1,000 AMP NOCO's (one on each Battery) if you let them on for say 20 Minutes and then give her a Whirl.

I also have the 400 AMP for the Lawn Tractor's and such which seems to work well.

Like Rich says, the Glow Plugs eat a lot. One trick I learned long ago was to put a Jump Box by itself connected to the GLOW PLUG Relay before turning the Key with the other on the Batteries for a few minutes.
But in your estimation, will the 4000 amp NOCO one be able to take the place of your smaller ones?

Old 01-26-2018, 11:58 AM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Have been considering one of these that can be charged via 12v.

Have the idea of installing it behind the back seat so that it will always charge when the truck is on. All the options I have looked at put this setup in the $200-$300 range.

Jumper cables are a lot cheaper, lol.

Old 01-26-2018, 12:14 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by aklim
Supposedly the NOCO one you talked about has the ability to do a "12 VDC, 5 Amp Rapid Charge (3 Hour Recharge)"
Straight off the NOCO website:
"GB150 [USB charging]
11 hours at 2A
22 hours at 1A
45 hours at 0.5A

[12V Fast Charge (60W)]
2-3hrs at 5A
"

"Fast charge" would be putting the jumpers on something that has 12 volts - like a charger or a battery on a running engine.

Old 01-26-2018, 01:15 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by empiretc
Have been considering one of these that can be charged via 12v.

Have the idea of installing it behind the back seat so that it will always charge when the truck is on. All the options I have looked at put this setup in the $200-$300 range.

Jumper cables are a lot cheaper, lol.
Jumper cables are the best if there is another truck nearby

Old 01-26-2018, 02:38 PM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Jumper cables are the best if there is another truck nearby

Yep, but buying the person that helped you out a beer could get expensive, lol

Just replaced the batteries in old green. Almost hit the floor when I saw the total price.

Old 01-26-2018, 03:50 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by empiretc
Yep, but buying the person that helped you out a beer could get expensive, lol

Just replaced the batteries in old green. Almost hit the floor when I saw the total price.
Saw someone who had a 6.0 at work. Parked all day and it wouldn't start at night. He got his wife to jump it with some small car. Of course it wouldn't work. I let him hook up to the Powerstroke and he got it running

Old 01-26-2018, 05:36 PM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Saw someone who had a 6.0 at work. Parked all day and it wouldn't start at night. He got his wife to jump it with some small car. Of course it wouldn't work. I let him hook up to the Powerstroke and he got it running

that is why finding one of these jumper packs that can be charged via 12v gets spendy.

you definitely want one big enough to get the job done. maybe I should start dropping hints to the wife for an up coming b-day

Old 01-26-2018, 08:47 PM
carltonwebb
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
The JNC660 can be charged by the truck. There is also a big brother to it as well that i think is in the 900 amp range. I had the 660 for a long time. Work great for 50 model tractors that i have, mowers etc. I killed it being stupid but am about to get another.

Old 01-26-2018, 09:31 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by carltonwebb
The JNC660 can be charged by the truck. There is also a big brother to it as well that i think is in the 900 amp range. I had the 660 for a long time. Work great for 50 model tractors that i have, mowers etc. I killed it being stupid but am about to get another.
Carlton, if you just killed the battery in it, this replaces it. 12V 18AH Replacement Battery for Jump n Carry JNC660 JNCAIR JNC 660 JNC4000
Amazon Amazon

Old 01-26-2018, 11:05 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by carltonwebb
OK. I got to ask. How did you kill it being stupid? Short the terminals out deliberately?

Quick Reply: Battery Jumper Pack