Hitch locks - thoughts and suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 08:07 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 441 Likes on 323 Posts
Hitch locks - thoughts and suggestions

Never bothered with locking the trailer coupler or the hitch pin before, but since upgrading the trailer I think the new one may catch a thief's eye a little more. Probably should leave a lock on the trailer couple when I'm not towing it at the very least.

Not looking for absolutely top of the line security, really just want something that will work, won't cause me hassles, won't break the bank, and will deter casual thieves.

Thoughts?

Old 01-22-2018, 08:23 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
anything a standard bolt cutter will not cut... master lock.. or better (hardened).

I lock mine... parked or connected to the truck...

but in today's world.. if they want it.. they will get it.

battery powered saw's all... and metal cutting wheels..

Old 01-22-2018, 08:35 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Yeah, I'm not worried about deterring well prepared thieves. Just the lazy trashy people who might do this kind of thing on the sour of the moment.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:11 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by seventyseven250
Yeah, I'm not worried about deterring well prepared thieves. Just the lazy trashy people who might do this kind of thing on the sour of the moment.
or the JOKER's... releasing the latch in rest area.. eating lunch... etc.

Old 01-22-2018, 10:38 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm more concerned with dirt bags breaking in and trashing the interior then someone stealing our 5er. There are only a few main door locktumbler versions with lots of 'master' keys. The deadbolt though will keep most out - until the thief shows up with a pry bar of some sort. As far as a king pin lock, AMAZON is your friend:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=5th+wheel+pin+locks https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=5th+wheel+pin+locks

Oh and the king pin release lever - that has a lock along with 2 for the head unit and 2 for the base - 5 separate locks, none keyed alike

Old 01-22-2018, 06:21 PM
xrated
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check out this site. https://www.boltlock.com/locks They make locks for locking the coupler and also for locking your drawbar/hitch into the receiver of the truck. The neat part is......You use your vehicle ignition key. Probably would be worth it if you are planning on changing vehicles fairly soon, but if you have a truck and or trailer combo that you are planning on keeping for at least several years, the locks are very handy. When you receive you lock, put your ignition key in the locking mechanism, turn it one time and release. The lock is now keyed to your truck ignition key. I just bought the one for my W.D. hitch to lock it in the receiver, and will probably buy the coupler lock also.

Old 01-22-2018, 06:23 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
That's an amazing idea but I swap trucks reasonably often and I lend my trailer out to other people who use thier own trucks. Wouldn't be a good plan for me.

Bought one of the $25 Reese towpower yellow ones, figure it's a lot better than nothing.

Old 01-22-2018, 08:00 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,712 Likes on 2,754 Posts
I have a lock on the coupler lever of my trailer at all times. Better safe than sorry. The ball mount (Weigh Safe) and WDH (Andersen) also get locked.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:33 AM
2,4shofast
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by xrated
Check out this site. https://www.boltlock.com/locks They make locks for locking the coupler and also for locking your drawbar/hitch into the receiver of the truck. The neat part is......You use your vehicle ignition key. Probably would be worth it if you are planning on changing vehicles fairly soon, but if you have a truck and or trailer combo that you are planning on keeping for at least several years, the locks are very handy. When you receive you lock, put your ignition key in the locking mechanism, turn it one time and release. The lock is now keyed to your truck ignition key. I just bought the one for my W.D. hitch to lock it in the receiver, and will probably buy the coupler lock also.

Beat me to it!!! Glad to see you over here as well

Old 01-24-2018, 07:49 PM
xrated
Senior User
Originally Posted by 2,4shofast
Beat me to it!!! Glad to see you over here as well
LOL....yea, I make my rounds......here, three RV forum, 7 or 8 motorcycle forums and a few gun forums.....I'm a busy guy sometimes!

Old 01-26-2018, 03:53 PM
2,4shofast
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I understand how that goes, I make my daily rounds as well.

Old 03-15-2018, 10:34 AM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by xrated
Ordered for my hitch today. I feed the umbilical and breakaway cables through the coupler lock so would want a longer hasp than what they offer. Would have been handy.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:45 AM
6.2caribou
Laughing Gas
Received 165 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by seventyseven250
Never bothered with locking the trailer coupler or the hitch pin before, but since upgrading the trailer I think the new one may catch a thief's eye a little more. Probably should leave a lock on the trailer couple when I'm not towing it at the very least.

Not looking for absolutely top of the line security, really just want something that will work, won't cause me hassles, won't break the bank, and will deter casual thieves.

Thoughts?
Even with a locked empty coupler, thieves can back up to a trailer and drop it on a smaller ball, hook up your chains and take off. I've torched the threaded stud off of several old ***** and put one of them in the coupler before I lock it. I also use a hardened lock to secure my chains so that they can't easily be used. None of this is completely thief proof, but at least it makes it more difficult for them.

Old 03-21-2018, 01:30 PM
AeroCare
Senior User
Originally Posted by 6.2caribou
....I've torched the threaded stud off of several old ***** and put one of them in the coupler before I lock it.
Now that's a simple idea I hadn't thought about, thanks.

Old 04-26-2018, 05:23 PM
ligito
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I use a California Immobilizer on a wheel and 10MM (3/8) square hardened chain that I run through a wheel hole and a stake pocket, with an excellent, dedicated lock.

Rigging Products, Inc. Sales Online: SQUARE LOCK FOR CHAIN OR CABLE

Rigging Products, Inc. Sales Online: 3/8" SQ CASEHARDENED SECURITY CHAIN

Quick Reply: Hitch locks - thoughts and suggestions