Hitch locks - thoughts and suggestions - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Hitch locks - thoughts and suggestions

Old 01-22-2018, 09:07 AM
Post Fiend

seventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant future
Hitch locks - thoughts and suggestions

Never bothered with locking the trailer coupler or the hitch pin before, but since upgrading the trailer I think the new one may catch a thief's eye a little more. Probably should leave a lock on the trailer couple when I'm not towing it at the very least.

Not looking for absolutely top of the line security, really just want something that will work, won't cause me hassles, won't break the bank, and will deter casual thieves.

Thoughts?
Old 01-22-2018, 09:23 AM
Postmaster

Chuck's First Ford has a very good reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a very good reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a very good reputation on FTE.
anything a standard bolt cutter will not cut... master lock.. or better (hardened).

I lock mine... parked or connected to the truck...

but in today's world.. if they want it.. they will get it.

battery powered saw's all... and metal cutting wheels..
Old 01-22-2018, 09:35 AM
Post Fiend

seventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant future
Yeah, I'm not worried about deterring well prepared thieves. Just the lazy trashy people who might do this kind of thing on the sour of the moment.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:11 AM
Postmaster

Chuck's First Ford has a very good reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a very good reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventyseven250 View Post
Yeah, I'm not worried about deterring well prepared thieves. Just the lazy trashy people who might do this kind of thing on the sour of the moment.
or the JOKER's... releasing the latch in rest area.. eating lunch... etc.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:38 AM
Posting Guru

Irelands child is a splendid one to beholdIrelands child is a splendid one to beholdIrelands child is a splendid one to beholdIrelands child is a splendid one to beholdIrelands child is a splendid one to beholdIrelands child is a splendid one to beholdIrelands child is a splendid one to behold
I'm more concerned with dirt bags breaking in and trashing the interior then someone stealing our 5er. There are only a few main door locktumbler versions with lots of 'master' keys. The deadbolt though will keep most out - until the thief shows up with a pry bar of some sort. As far as a king pin lock, AMAZON is your friend:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=5th+wheel+pin+locks https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=5th+wheel+pin+locks

Oh and the king pin release lever - that has a lock along with 2 for the head unit and 2 for the base - 5 separate locks, none keyed alike
Old 01-22-2018, 07:21 PM
Senior User

xrated is starting off with a positive reputation.
Check out this site. https://www.boltlock.com/locks They make locks for locking the coupler and also for locking your drawbar/hitch into the receiver of the truck. The neat part is......You use your vehicle ignition key. Probably would be worth it if you are planning on changing vehicles fairly soon, but if you have a truck and or trailer combo that you are planning on keeping for at least several years, the locks are very handy. When you receive you lock, put your ignition key in the locking mechanism, turn it one time and release. The lock is now keyed to your truck ignition key. I just bought the one for my W.D. hitch to lock it in the receiver, and will probably buy the coupler lock also.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:23 PM
Post Fiend

That's an amazing idea but I swap trucks reasonably often and I lend my trailer out to other people who use thier own trucks. Wouldn't be a good plan for me.

Bought one of the $25 Reese towpower yellow ones, figure it's a lot better than nothing.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:00 PM
Postmaster

HRTKD has much to be proud ofHRTKD has much to be proud ofHRTKD has much to be proud ofHRTKD has much to be proud ofHRTKD has much to be proud ofHRTKD has much to be proud ofHRTKD has much to be proud ofHRTKD has much to be proud of
I have a lock on the coupler lever of my trailer at all times. Better safe than sorry. The ball mount (Weigh Safe) and WDH (Andersen) also get locked.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:33 AM
Senior User

2,4shofast has a very good reputation on FTE.2,4shofast has a very good reputation on FTE.2,4shofast has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Check out this site. https://www.boltlock.com/locks They make locks for locking the coupler and also for locking your drawbar/hitch into the receiver of the truck. The neat part is......You use your vehicle ignition key. Probably would be worth it if you are planning on changing vehicles fairly soon, but if you have a truck and or trailer combo that you are planning on keeping for at least several years, the locks are very handy. When you receive you lock, put your ignition key in the locking mechanism, turn it one time and release. The lock is now keyed to your truck ignition key. I just bought the one for my W.D. hitch to lock it in the receiver, and will probably buy the coupler lock also.

Beat me to it!!! Glad to see you over here as well
Old 01-24-2018, 08:49 PM
Senior User

xrated is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2,4shofast View Post
Beat me to it!!! Glad to see you over here as well
LOL....yea, I make my rounds......here, three RV forum, 7 or 8 motorcycle forums and a few gun forums.....I'm a busy guy sometimes!
Old 01-26-2018, 04:53 PM
Senior User

2,4shofast has a very good reputation on FTE.2,4shofast has a very good reputation on FTE.2,4shofast has a very good reputation on FTE.
I understand how that goes, I make my daily rounds as well.