'56 Odometer reset - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

'56 Odometer reset

Reply

 
 
 
  #1  
Old 01-21-2018, 11:18 PM
Bruce Schena
Bruce Schena is offline
Junior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Menlo Park, CA
Posts: 52
Bruce Schena is starting off with a positive reputation.
'56 Odometer reset

OK, what's the secret?

I have my speedo/odo out of the truck. The speedo is fixed (I think/hope), and I'm putting all back together.

I was thinking that I'd spin the wheels back to 00000 since the truck mileage is totally unknown anyway and the speedo cable wasn't even installed when I got it.

However, resetting the odometer so that everything is ZERO turns out to be harder than it sounds. All of the wheels are (by design) mechanically interlocked/geared in some way or another. I haven't been brave enough to take the whole drum assembly apart...yet. It's not even clear HOW to disassemble the thing either - I'm guessing that I'd have to remove the brass ring on the shaft, adjacent the drive spur gear....

What's the trick to getting it all back to zero, but with the little sheetmetal forks all in the correct locations so that it will sit on the "keying" bar underneath?

-Bruce
 
Attached Images  
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-22-2018, 12:22 AM
truckeemtnfords
truckeemtnfords is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Truckee, CA
Posts: 2,493
truckeemtnfords is a splendid one to beholdtruckeemtnfords is a splendid one to beholdtruckeemtnfords is a splendid one to beholdtruckeemtnfords is a splendid one to beholdtruckeemtnfords is a splendid one to beholdtruckeemtnfords is a splendid one to beholdtruckeemtnfords is a splendid one to behold
It has been years since I did mine but it can be done without disassembling the wheels in your picture. If I remember right the wheel and metal turn together while holding the adjoining wheels.
 
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-22-2018, 06:58 AM
abe's Avatar
abe
abe is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Central PA
Posts: 10,269
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
I did it to my 54 back in 1999 but... I forget how. sorry! Play around with it and you'll figure it out. I should have taken pics and wrote it down back then, huh?
 
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-22-2018, 07:08 AM
topmoo's Avatar
topmoo
topmoo is offline
Postmaster
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Houston
Posts: 3,166
topmoo has a spectacular reputation.topmoo has a spectacular reputation.topmoo has a spectacular reputation.topmoo has a spectacular reputation.topmoo has a spectacular reputation.topmoo has a spectacular reputation.topmoo has a spectacular reputation.topmoo has a spectacular reputation.topmoo has a spectacular reputation.topmoo has a spectacular reputation.topmoo has a spectacular reputation.
In high school my Dad really wanted to watch the family (1964 Pymouth) go over 100,000 miles. Of course I thought I could take the car and get back under the turnover to 100,000 but got distracted by my girl friend and drove about 5 miles over. Dad wasn't home yet so I backed up around the neighborhood until I got it under by a mile. He never knew but the neighbors thought I was crazy... Maybe you could just hook it up to a drill or electric motor and run it backwards until it gets back to zero
 
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-22-2018, 07:25 AM
Harrier's Avatar
Harrier
Harrier is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: California, MO
Posts: 5,678
Harrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant future
It's been a while...found the video I used. The Mustang one is the same as ours.


Here is a thread on it. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ter-reset.html
 
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-22-2018, 09:16 AM
abe's Avatar
abe
abe is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Central PA
Posts: 10,269
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by topmoo View Post
In high school my Dad really wanted to watch the family (1964 Pymouth) go over 100,000 miles. Of course I thought I could take the car and get back under the turnover to 100,000 but got distracted by my girl friend and drove about 5 miles over. Dad wasn't home yet so I backed up around the neighborhood until I got it under by a mile. He never knew but the neighbors thought I was crazy... Maybe you could just hook it up to a drill or electric motor and run it backwards until it gets back to zero
That is hilarious! Did you and your girlfriend drive that 5 miles to Lover's Lane?

I have used a drill with a Q-tip in it and ran the drill backwards to test the speedo. The Q-tip fits into the hole where the cable goes. But it would take forever to get it back to all zeros. And I don't think the numbers go backwards. on these odometers.
 
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-22-2018, 12:42 PM
Bruce Schena
Bruce Schena is offline
Junior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Menlo Park, CA
Posts: 52
Bruce Schena is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
It's been a while...found the video I used. The Mustang one is the same as ours.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87kZQkKGSw8


Here is a thread on it. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ter-reset.html
Thanks! That technique sorta worked. For some (unknown) reason this is the best alignment I've been able to achieve - a couple digits seem 1/2 digit out of alignment. I'm not sure why.

I suppose that its possible that a PO put new digit stickers on this (I believe that they are available someplace...not sure where). Or, more likely, I just didn't do it quite right...

I'm wondering if it will work itself back into alignment...but based on what I can feel, it doesn't seem like it will.
 
Attached Images  
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-22-2018, 03:18 PM
rdemilt's Avatar
rdemilt
rdemilt is offline
Elder User
Join Date: May 2007
Location: south Fl.
Posts: 503
rdemilt is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Bruce Schena View Post
Thanks! That technique sorta worked. For some (unknown) reason this is the best alignment I've been able to achieve - a couple digits seem 1/2 digit out of alignment. I'm not sure why.

I suppose that its possible that a PO put new digit stickers on this (I believe that they are available someplace...not sure where). Or, more likely, I just didn't do it quite right...

I'm wondering if it will work itself back into alignment...but based on what I can feel, it doesn't seem like it will.
There are little gears in each of the number wheels that you will need to get all aligned if you want it to look correct, I don't think it will correct itself. In fact If recall, if its not set up correctly its going to bind up as it tries to roll the next digit over. keep working at it, as it was said above its not to difficult.
 
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-23-2018, 08:27 PM
topmoo's Avatar
topmoo
topmoo is offline
Postmaster
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Houston
Posts: 3,166
topmoo has a spectacular reputation.topmoo has a spectacular reputation.topmoo has a spectacular reputation.topmoo has a spectacular reputation.topmoo has a spectacular reputation.topmoo has a spectacular reputation.topmoo has a spectacular reputation.topmoo has a spectacular reputation.topmoo has a spectacular reputation.topmoo has a spectacular reputation.topmoo has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by abe View Post
That is hilarious! Did you and your girlfriend drive that 5 miles to Lover's Lane?

I have used a drill with a Q-tip in it and ran the drill backwards to test the speedo. The Q-tip fits into the hole where the cable goes. But it would take forever to get it back to all zeros. And I don't think the numbers go backwards. on these odometers.
LOL! I don't remember exactly, but I'm sure it was similar to that.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
hivoltj
1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
56
07-15-2017 11:59 AM
Amish65F100
1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
14
04-05-2017 08:37 AM
Abner
1968-2013 Full Size Vans
4
07-25-2016 09:36 PM
hest_c
1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
8
06-27-2016 10:43 AM
slashfan7964
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
2
04-03-2016 08:40 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '56 Odometer reset


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.