Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Just another headlight upgrade question

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 12:18 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyBob69
Hmmmm. I like the idea of the LEDs... but not sure I am sold on the look of the sealed beam style. I see those styles going down the road but it just doesn’t seem right to me. LEDs tho... definitely. But only if replacement is easy. See ... I want my cake and eat it too!
If you decide you want to go this route let me know. I can help you find the parts...

Old 01-21-2018, 12:26 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am in the process of a front end conversion on my truck, but All you need is the lamps of your choice and an adapter kit, new header panel if you want no cutting options, grille optional.
Thanks to FTE for making me rewrite this post…grr

Old 01-21-2018, 01:25 PM
beef tits
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Opinions are like *******s but I find most aftermarket housings (the dark or "altezza" type) or the LED kits people add look pretty juvenile.

While I am ranting... adding HID bulbs to non-HID housings is also pretty lame. Those lights need to be in housings that will self-level the beam so that you don't blind people. Basically, if your car did not come with HID low-beams from the factory, then you are a "not very considerate person" if you install them.

For my truck, I threw a new set of OEM housings in with fresh bulbs and the difference was night and day. They're just the 2000 OEM style from rock auto. $20 or so a piece. My original lights were pretty beat/yellowed from the sun.

I also threw some long beam 130W KC Hi Lites on with the ARB bumper. They light up the road pretty good. Those were closer to $200. Used off-road only, or on long lonely highways at night.

Always make sure to level any lights you install properly;

How to Adjust Your Headlights - Aim Your Headlights

Old 01-21-2018, 02:12 PM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by beef ****
Opinions are like *******s but I find most aftermarket housings (the dark or "altezza" type) or the LED kits people add look pretty juvenile.

While I am ranting... adding HID bulbs to non-HID housings is also pretty lame. Those lights need to be in housings that will self-level the beam so that you don't blind people. Basically, if your car did not come with HID low-beams from the factory, then you are a "not very considerate person" if you install them.

For my truck, I threw a new set of OEM housings in with fresh bulbs and the difference was night and day. They're just the 2000 OEM style from rock auto. $20 or so a piece. My original lights were pretty beat/yellowed from the sun.

I also threw some long beam 130W KC Hi Lites on with the ARB bumper. They light up the road pretty good. Those were closer to $200. Used off-road only, or on long lonely highways at night.

I have to agree on the aftermarket HIDs and the improper aiming. Can't stand them and the "blue" tends to really bug me.

I just want brighter lights...I would say steering closer to a white instead of the kinda yellow look. As for aiming, I intend on marking the wall in the shop with the truck about 20ft back and marking for both high and low beam on the old set. Then installing new and aiming them at the same spot. I usually go with the top of the lighted area to keep them out of oncoming eyes. I just want a better lighted area as I drive 90% in the sticks to and from work and the mornings are always still dark as I leave the house at 4:30am.

As for Halo, projector etc... Not too keen on those since most some with the "Angel eyes" that are just leds outlining something and always on. Not for me.
Just want a nice clear lens so I can put in my silverstars and see the road.
The only reason I am looking for one piece is that for some reason, the tops of the turn lights wont stay in the hole with that peg. Tends to pop out after going down a dirt road and then it looks like crap. So...
Unless there is an easy fix for the turn light to keep it tight to the fender.

Old 01-21-2018, 02:18 PM
beef tits
Laughing Gas
I have to agree on the aftermarket HIDs and the improper aiming. Can't stand them and the "blue" tends to really bug me.

I just want brighter lights...I would say steering closer to a white instead of the kinda yellow look. As for aiming, I intend on marking the wall in the shop with the truck about 20ft back and marking for both high and low beam on the old set. Then installing new and aiming them at the same spot. I usually go with the top of the lighted area to keep them out of oncoming eyes. I just want a better lighted area as I drive 90% in the sticks to and from work and the mornings are always still dark as I leave the house at 4:30am.

As for Halo, projector etc... Not too keen on those since most some with the "Angel eyes" that are just leds outlining something and always on. Not for me.
Just want a nice clear lens so I can put in my silverstars and see the road.
The only reason I am looking for one piece is that for some reason, the tops of the turn lights wont stay in the hole with that peg. Tends to pop out after going down a dirt road and then it looks like crap. So...
Unless there is an easy fix for the turn light to keep it tight to the fender.
Ha, my turn signals never fit right either. That is just a Ford thing across the board... When I want to see nice, tight fitting parts I look at my Toyota

Old 01-21-2018, 02:21 PM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Ha, my turn signals never fit right either. That is just a Ford thing across the board... When I want to see nice, tight fitting parts I look at my Toyota
HA!! I just replaced the right/front "Bumper stay" on my wife's Highlander. Looks great now!

Old 01-21-2018, 02:27 PM
beef tits
Laughing Gas
HA!! I just replaced the right/front "Bumper stay" on my wife's Highlander. Looks great now!
Nice. I have a really clean '87 4runner with nearly 250k on it. All original drive-train except the timing chain and piddly **** like spark plugs/filters. Even the clutch is original... Damn thing is 10x more reliable than this Ford has ever been!

Old 01-22-2018, 12:53 PM
268Fords
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are so many inconsiderate a-holes here in Northern California with those cheap flea market lights. I encounter so many on my way to work in the morning, it’s become so infuriating. Especially those a-holes that have there fog lights done too. I turn on my light bar as a big F-U. Then they get all pissed and start flashing there high beams. I just laugh because they get all mad when you blind them, but don’t give two shi*s that they are blinding every person on the road oncoming or in front of them. I really wish law enforcement would actually enforce the laws on this and fine people heavily. If they did actually pull someone over here, it’s just a fix it ticket. Rant over

Old 01-22-2018, 07:47 PM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Ok. Here is what I am working with.

Low beam

High beam

I want more.

Old 01-22-2018, 08:45 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Those look pretty good. What about some aftermarket HIDS spots for the bumper to reach further down the road?

Old 01-22-2018, 09:38 PM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by Colorado350
Those look pretty good. What about some aftermarket HIDS spots for the bumper to reach further down the road?
Those actually look brighter because of the snow. On nights with out snow...not so bright. I’ll grab another shot in the morning.

Old 01-23-2018, 06:48 AM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

High beam

Low beam

It may seem to be fine in the pics but when I drive the wife's toyota, HUGE difference.

Old 01-23-2018, 07:38 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
According to DOT safety standards, your low beam should illuminate 350 feet down the road in front of you. It's hard to tell in those photos if that is good or not. From here, it looks pretty bright. My wife's Kia Soul has great headlights, but my truck has vast improvement after replacing with 2003 stock replacements and new Ultra bulbs.

Old 01-23-2018, 07:39 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
Post a picture of the cut-off 25 feet from a wall.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:16 AM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by BBslider001
According to DOT safety standards, your low beam should illuminate 350 feet down the road in front of you. It's hard to tell in those photos if that is good or not. From here, it looks pretty bright. My wife's Kia Soul has great headlights, but my truck has vast improvement after replacing with 2003 stock replacements and new Ultra bulbs.
OK If that is the case then I am waaayyy short. From these photos...I am lucky to hit 100 ft.

Quick Reply: Just another headlight upgrade question