What's the REAL answer? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the REAL answer?

Old 01-18-2018, 09:05 PM
wrvond
Posting Guru
wrvond has a very good reputation on FTE.wrvond has a very good reputation on FTE.wrvond has a very good reputation on FTE.
What's the REAL answer?

The dealership put 10W30 synthetic blend oil in my truck because they didn't have the full synthetic I requested. They assure me that is the correct oil.
I can't look in my owner's manual because it was stolen out of my truck while at the dealership. So I downloaded a digital copy. It's a bit hard to read on my phone, but it looks like the 10W30 may be correct.
However, today I looked at the oil fill cap and I'm pretty sure it says 5W40 on it.

So what's the right answer?

Old 01-18-2018, 09:15 PM
cangim
Postmaster
cangim has a good reputation on FTE.cangim has a good reputation on FTE.cangim has a good reputation on FTE.
Both are correct, just depends on the weather you’ll be operating in. Personally I run 5w40 full synthetic. The way you have described, you didn’t get what was asked for, that’s not cool, truck will be fine

Old 01-18-2018, 09:24 PM
diamondbackmike2004
Senior User
diamondbackmike2004 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I run 10W30 Synthetic Blend (Arizona, Hot.) and I have no issues.

Old 01-18-2018, 11:34 PM
swarf_rat
Elder User
swarf_rat has a good reputation on FTE.swarf_rat has a good reputation on FTE.swarf_rat has a good reputation on FTE.

plus 10 characters

Old 01-19-2018, 12:21 AM
HRTKD
Postmaster
HRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by swarf_rat View Post

plus 10 characters
And don't forget your towel.

Seriously, your truck probably came from the factory with 10w-30 in it. You'll be fine unless you are operating under the severe service schedule. In that case, you'll want 0w-40.

Old 01-19-2018, 04:24 AM
smlford
Posting Guru
smlford has a good reputation on FTE.smlford has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by HRTKD View Post
And don't forget your towel.

Seriously, your truck probably came from the factory with 10w-30 in it. You'll be fine unless you are operating under the severe service schedule. In that case, you'll want 0w-40.
I think you mean 5W-40.

Old 01-19-2018, 05:01 AM
djousma
Posting Guru
djousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to behold
so, what kind of dealership is this? did they order you a replacement set of manuals? whole thing sounds odd.

Old 01-19-2018, 05:19 AM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
I think, based upon the op's other comments in the other thread, he needs to speak with the owner of the dealership. There are thiefs in the organization.

So far we have wrong work performed, missing manuals, code card, tailgate plugs and who knows what else.

Big concern is really the code for the door. That needs changed and probably not by them. I would suggest that they pay other dealership to reset the code and perhaps cut new keys and program those.

They should replace every item they sole and make you whole again.

You have to change your own oil these days to get the right stuff. Otherwise it is just out of their barrel of oil.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:56 AM
HRTKD
Postmaster
HRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by smlford View Post
I think you mean 5W-40.
Yes I did. Thanks for catching that.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:38 AM
wrvond
Posting Guru
wrvond has a very good reputation on FTE.wrvond has a very good reputation on FTE.wrvond has a very good reputation on FTE.
Yesterday I received my emailed Ford customer survey. I filled it out and listed all my problems in it. We'll see if anything comes of that. At this point the service manager says he has ordered the manual set and is going to replace the plugs. He's supposed to call me when they come in. I pointed out to him I have an issue with the missing door code card. He didn't seem too worried about it, so I imagine I'll have to push that issue.
I use this truck for delivering RVs around the country, so severe service was my plan. This is why I asked for full synthetic oil in the first place. Plus it covers the entire temperature range around the country. When summer arrives, I don't want to be climbing the Rockies pulling a 42 foot camper with "regular" oil under the hood...
This is another reason i paid to have the oil and filter changed. I figured that come tax time, it's easier to deduct the labor of somebody else than it is to deduct my own labor.
Turns out that would have been much easier than all this other mess.

Thanks for the information on the oil. At least that concern is off the table.

Old 01-20-2018, 10:08 AM
SkiSmuggs
Elder User
SkiSmuggs has a good reputation on FTE.SkiSmuggs has a good reputation on FTE.
While on a tow trip, I stopped at NAPA and picked up 16 qts of Valvoline PBX (5w40) and headed to a Ford Quick Lane in Richmond, VA for oil, filter and fuel filter change. They refused to use the oil I brought (first time that happened), and they didn't have any severe duty. So I had them change the fuel filters and bought an oil filter, went across the street to Midas and had them change the oil. At home and at another Quick Lane in Idaho, they have no problem with me bringing my oil as they only have MC 10w30.

Old 01-20-2018, 12:17 PM
Superdave71
Senior User
Superdave71 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
With my 7.3 while on the road Id buy my oil and filter at Wally World, then paid them $15 and theyd change it.