Notices
Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

another spring ?

Old 01-16-2018, 08:51 PM
wharrel04
New User
wharrel04 is starting off with a positive reputation.
another spring ?

So I want to do a spring swap on the Ex. And yes I have read thru almost every thread for spring swaps on here and understand the majority of it. However I am looking at getting used springs from 2 donor trucks and need some help. Ill post pics of the door numbers so you all can help me and see if it will work for my application. The 05 I am looking at getting the rears. I cant find what code these would be and how that would relate to the overall stance of my truck. the 00 truck I dont think im going to get because the very least I want is V codes and these seem to be U codes correct? but without knowing about the rears on the 05 I have no idea whats fronts I would need if I ended up getting those. Sorry if this seems ridiculous but I am in spring overload info right now and cant figure out what I need to do. Thanks in advance

Old 01-16-2018, 09:05 PM
Nicmike
Veteran Sheepdog
Nicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputation
F codes are same as B codes.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:07 PM
wharrel04
New User
awesome so I will go ahead and get the rears and then probably just buy new V codes for up front. Thanks again

Old 01-16-2018, 09:14 PM
Nicmike
Veteran Sheepdog
Nicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputation
I have V codes. I like them, but wish I had gone X codes.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:17 PM
wharrel04
New User
I keep hearing that but then what would that do to the rear would I have to go up to another spring in the rear?

Old 01-16-2018, 09:19 PM
Nicmike
Veteran Sheepdog
X codes with modified F codes should have you level.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:26 PM
wharrel04
New User
great thanks again. Just texted the guy with the rears I will be picking them up thursday. Super excited, now to get the x codes.

Old 01-17-2018, 11:10 AM
RobRoss
Posting Guru
RobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Nicmike View Post
F codes are same as B codes.
They are not the same rate, B and P are.
B code is 320/670
F code is 334/777

HTH

Old 01-17-2018, 04:15 PM
ithaca1230
Elder User
ithaca1230 has a very good reputation on FTE.ithaca1230 has a very good reputation on FTE.ithaca1230 has a very good reputation on FTE.ithaca1230 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I have v and modded b and if I would do it again I would get the x codes for the front. I added a leaf from the old rear pack to the front get the front a little higher. The v codes are great no complaints on performance Just would have liked the nose up a little more Plus I ended up with a plow.

Old 01-17-2018, 05:53 PM
Nicmike
Veteran Sheepdog
Originally Posted by ithaca1230 View Post
I have v and modded b and if I would do it again I would get the x codes for the front. I added a leaf from the old rear pack to the front get the front a little higher. The v codes are great no complaints on performance Just would have liked the nose up a little more Plus I ended up with a plow.
Exactly how I feel, with exception of the plow.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:08 PM
RobRoss
Posting Guru
RobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Nicmike View Post
Exactly how I feel, with exception of the plow.
Me three! Next time W or X codes. I may add my overload spring from my C's.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:25 PM
wharrel04
New User
Originally Posted by RobRoss View Post
They are not the same rate, B and P are.
B code is 320/670
F code is 334/777

HTH
so would i still be ok doing the x codes in the front and getting the F code on the rear?

Old 01-17-2018, 06:59 PM
Nicmike
Veteran Sheepdog
Rob points out that they are different, however they are minimally different. B and F have the same weight carrying capacity (I think that is the right term). Many X owners have F codes on their Excursions...both modified and unmodified. There are write ups on the web detailing the F code spring mod. They will work fine, and they will give you about the same "lift" in the rear as the B codes. I have laid F and B codes next to each other, and the spring arch is identical with the naked eye. Your EX will squat a little less with a heavy load on the bumper with an F code vs the B codes, as the secondary spring rate is stiffer on the F code. I say, "this is a good thing".

FWIW, the F codes replaced the B codes on the Super Duty pickup trucks.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:22 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
WE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by RobRoss View Post
Me three! Next time W or X codes. I may add my overload spring from my C's.

X codes with the rear overload leaf added, that would be crazy!

Old 01-18-2018, 10:11 AM
RobRoss
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by WE3ZS View Post
X codes with the rear overload leaf added, that would be crazy!
No, I mean to my existing V codes...there is only one guy crazy enough to do that and document it!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: another spring ?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.