1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

My 9 Month Long Summer Project (Injectors, Cups, Gauges, Racor, and More)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 03:15 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by brian42
I have a smog test every other year so I've got about 18 months before I have to start getting my ducks in a row again.
So you got it to pass this last time...or did I miss something?

Old 04-02-2018, 03:33 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
Yes I did. Took two tries and I had to get rid of my Turbomaster Wastegate Controller and get a new spider, red/green lines, wastegate solenoid, and OEM style wastegate controller . I was having some hazing issues so Bill at PHP was nice enough to write me an emissions tune.

I'm getting too old for this s...

Old 04-02-2018, 03:41 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by brian42
Yes I did. Took two tries and I had to get rid of my Turbomaster Wastegate Controller and get a new spider, red/green lines, wastegate solenoid, and OEM style wastegate controller . I was having some hazing issues so Bill at PHP was nice enough to write me an emissions tune.

I'm getting too old for this s...
Gotcha, I remember you looking for parts, but missed where you passed. In Colorado it's every year...PITA!

Old 04-02-2018, 04:06 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Changed out the parts weekend before last and got it passed by the smog station last Thursday. I'm going to be very careful from here on out as I don't need anything catching their eye and poking around even harder than this time. I was hoping that I'm closing in on an exempt status but the smog tech let me know that's not happening soon. The only reason '98 and older are exempt is that they are not OBD II compliant. I guess I'll have to wait until 2028 now.

I just filled up and hand calculated mileage is 14.88 mpg. Did more city driving (errands) and a few running late "elevated" speeds this time but I only dropped .2 mpg overall so I can't complain about the mileage with the new sticks. I was getting around 14-14.5 mpg with the original injectors and so far I've gotten 15.2, 15, and 14.9 mpg with the new single shots. Small victory but a victory none-the-less.

Old 04-03-2018, 07:40 AM
Volcom
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado350
Gotcha, I remember you looking for parts, but missed where you passed. In Colorado it's every year...PITA!
Certain counties in CO Luckily for me, Pueblo County doesn't require them.

Good job @brian42 getting your tow rig back together. I thought your username looked familiar. I see you post on T4R all the time!

Old 04-03-2018, 09:50 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Volcom
Certain counties in CO Luckily for me, Pueblo County doesn't require them.

Good job @brian42 getting your tow rig back together. I thought your username looked familiar. I see you post on T4R all the time!
Thanks. I am not the same brian42 on T4R though. The only Toyotas I've had are a Tercel and a pickup back in the mid-90s. This is the only forum I'm active in and occasionally pop into other diesel forums and sometimes the Jeep forums (my wife has a Liberty).

Old 04-04-2018, 05:34 PM
beef tits
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I own a few Toyotas and also never post on any Toyota forums.. Mostly because they are easy to fix and rarely break like this big dumb Ford does all the time

Old 04-05-2018, 07:21 AM
DogRidesInBack
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DogRidesInBack
Diesel near my home (Smoky Mountains, TN) is cheaper than premium gas.

Really does not make sense, as there is more "heat" value in diesel. The difference makes my 7.3 F-350 (with worse economy) about the same cost to drive per mile as my little 1.8T turbo VW which could almost fit in the bed of the truck. I must admit the VW is more fun to drive through the twisty mountain roads.
Originally Posted by Bonanza35
So what is the price in the good old Smokey Mountains for Diesel. Would like to compare. Diesel should always be less then gas.
Finally got to town. All fuel prices changed with the Easter holiday.

On Monday at Kroger (with 10 cent per gallon discount card):
  • Regular: 2.339
  • Mid Grade: 2.589
  • Premium: 2.839
  • Diesel: 2.699
Without the discount card, add 10 cents per gallon. The Shell station across the street has higher prices. Diesel is still less than premium gas here, but the gap is narrower than last week.

Old 06-06-2018, 04:41 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
It's been awhile and I'm still working on the write-ups (sorry for the delay). Tried to spend a little time running up some miles on the Money Pit before parking it again for more issues: leaking coolant, power steering, and oil. In the process of repairing a leaking HPOP outlet fitting and then on to the rest. Over the past few years it seems like a never-ending effort to stop the drips and drops.

Even if I can't provide any new pictures and write-ups right now, I did want to provide an update with my tuning and customer service issues.

Before you read on here is my disclaimor: I am not here to sway any opinions or promote any specific vendors in any way! I only wish to share my experiences so that others can make their own decisions based on all the available information (not just what I provide here). I will try to be objective in hopes of avoiding Stewart_H's gavel of moderator justice and let you draw your own conclusions. Read on at your own risk.

People's desires, intentions, tolerances, expectations, and preferences vary greatly. What works for one may not work for another and what works on one truck doesn't mean that it translates to anyone esle's truck. I am but one customer / driver / 7.3L owner / shadetree mechanic in a sea of 100's or even 1000's. My word is not gospel and my experiences may or may not be unique. YMMV...just sayin'.

I have used numerous vendors thoughout this journey. I dealt with the "usual" parts suppliers on-line (RiffRaff, Dieselorings, Rock Auto) and had no issues. The three vendors I dealt with personally were Power Hungry Performance (PHP), Performance Injection Systems (P.I.S.), and Gearhead tuning (GH). These are the ones I'd like to share my experiences with. Now that things are coming to a close/resolution with the purchases I made with them I would like to condense my experiences in one place for anyone who is interested.

Power Hungry Performance (PHP) - They have been very responsive throughout (product and customer service). Bought a Hydra and tunes from them last summer and didn't get the truck running until this spring. I had some shifting issues and another issue passing smog so gave them a call to see if I could get some help. After explaining my situation they had me talk to Bill. I told him my sob story and asked about getting a shift adjustment and how much extra for an emissions tune. He said he'd take care of it and don't worry about it. Two days later he e-mailed me 7 tunes...6 updated ones and an emissions tune (which got me through my smog test).

Performance Injection Systems (P.I.S.) - The customer service was marginal at the start and has gone downhill from there. Product wise it is top notch. Installed the injectors, they sat in the engine for 7 months, fired right up when I finally turned the key, and haven't had any problems with them at all so far {knock on wood}. I purchased the injectors just prior to their acquisition/move and there was a mix-up with my GH tunes. I got a Hydra with the tunes on it instead of the tune files. It took 3 1/2 months to get a return label, send it back, and get the tune files e-mailed. I had to give my vehicle/Hydra information several times and did not get all the tunes I ordered. It took an additional month to get the tunes sorted out. I've been trying for 3 months to get them to fix a shift issue with the GH tunes but to no avail. As a paying customer I have to e-mail them through their Contact Us web page. I sent them an e-mail last March with injector questions and help with a tune problem (GH tunes shifting incredibly harsh). They responded to my injector questions but not the tune issue. I sent them an e-mail yesterday and their reply told me everything I wanted to know: they have been more than helpful even though I have not paid them any money (I paid for the injector/tune bundle before P.I.S. was bought and moved last summer), they will contact GH but I should deal with them directly going forward, and that my harsh shifting with the GH tunes is most likely axle wrap due to my lift. Funny, I don't have a lift and I don't have this problem with my PHP tunes. I talked with GH today (see below) and my injector warranty is up next week. I sent a reply today expressing my displeasure with what they told me. I was ready to write them off but they contacted me at 7pm their time to discuss helping me out. After my talk with them they are out of the doghouse but have a ways to go to get back on the Christmas list.

Gearhead (GH) Tuning - It was a benign start, rocky middle, and a positive finish (product and customer service). I bought a tune bundle with the injectors from P.I.S.. What I didn't realize is that since it is a vendor purchase the only one that can communicate with GH and receive files is the original purchaser...P.I.S. in this case (re-read the previous paragraph for how that went). I contacted them in early March and they said they'd take care of me for this round and we'd sort out the P.I.S. thing afterwards. Victory...not quite. It's early June and nothing from them. I finally call today to get the skinny and try to get some tunes from them I can use. Turns out Kenton was the one in charge of my tunes and they let him go this spring. They have re-structured and are working on catching up from his involvement in the company. They were very apologetic and are gladly working with me directly from here on out. I will have to rewind and start from the beginning so they have all my info on file but are happy to get up to speed and tweak my tunes. While I was ready to dump my GH tunes in the trash, I now have a renewed vigor in GH.

It seems that GH and P.I.S. were in some form of transition during the last year and my contacts were not in contention for Employee of the Month. I am now working with new people at both of those vendors so hopefully things are on an upswing with them. It will be hard to put the frustrations of the last year behind me but if they can deliver the end product then all will be forgiven.

Again, I have no affiliation with any of these companies nor do I have any personal stake in who you do business with. I just wanted to share what I went through so others can make an informed decision on where to spend their money.

Old 06-07-2018, 04:17 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
Brian, it sucks that you have hard such a hard go at some of the companies that I spoke so highly of in the past. It seems there have been a lot of changes at said companies and I have changed my tune (no pun intended) a bit.

We are glad to hear that the hardware from P.I.S. seems to be doing well and that GH will be (hopefully) getting you sorted out quickly.

Looking forward to the write-ups and the day you can stop chasing issues (minor as they may be) with the truck.

Old 06-07-2018, 04:32 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Thanks.

After a year of frustration and banging my head against a wall it looks like both GH and P.I.S. have made some adjustments and shifted gears. GH was very helpful on the phone yesterday and are ready to get my tunes sorted out. I was surprised to get a call from Florida at 7pm Eastern time. When I answered it I was even more surprised to find out it was P.I.S. calling me. After the e-mail exchange over the last couple of days had further soured me on them the phone call was just the opposite. They were incredibly apologetic and are willing to help sort out my issues, even if it takes a different tune(r) to do it. They are definitely a day late and a-l-m-o-s-t a dollar short. They were at 99¢ and they got their pinky toe in the door. I'll see where this goes before I undo the safety chain and let them back in.

I'm almost to the point of taking the truck to a shop (first time EVER in 10+ years of ownership) and have them track down my leaks and give me an estimate...then go fix them myself. Coolant's leaking, power steering's leaking, and I still have an oil leak. The HPOP fitting repair fixed 85% of it but there's still dripping at idle (which I'm sure is much worse under load). When I shut the truck down it goes away quickly. Lost about 1/2 gallon on my 30 mile commute to work this morning and there's plenty of drips in the parking lot in unusual places where the sheen collected at freeway speeds. I have a nice outline of the transfer case plate and transmission crossmember in my parking spot.

Old 06-18-2018, 04:13 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Tune update:

P.I.S. e-mailed me on Friday to let me know they're still working with their regular tuners to try and pick a couple of tunes that will work best with my truck for what I want. They were the best (and friendliest) they've been during my last phone call with them. I'm not going to hold my breath and as long they are doing this at their cost I'll wait as long as they dangle the carrot. My PHP tunes are doing well and now I've got a good set of GH tunes (next paragraph). My injectors went out of warranty last week so I have no more ties to them unless I need them to repair an injector.

GH sent me a whole new set of tunes less than 24 hours after I sent them all my info. They are not quite as punchy as the first ones I got but these run a lot better. They have "gone back to the beginning" with these and I took these to be baseline files that don't have Kenton's fingerprints on them. Much smoother response and don't push the upper limits of the parameters. I've not had a lot of time to really exercise all of the tunes and I'm still chasing some leaks so haven't really put all of the tunes through their paces. I don't tow heavy often and don't have one available to borrow so there won't be any EGT reports of hauling a trailer of 17 redwoods up a 17% grade . I also haven't installed my ladder bars yet so there won't be any drag launches any time soon either (even after the ladder bars are installed).

If I was 25 years younger I would live in my PHP tunes: non-linear throttle response, more jump off the line, and I can hit 30psi of boost and 3500 psi HPO in nothing flat. It doesn't take much to build an exhaust haze either. They are definitely fun tunes and make commuter traffic "navigation" a lot easier.

Overall though I like the GH tunes. Much easier on the powerplant IMO. They build power but not as quick and unless I really mash the go pedal I can easily keep things in the 22 psi boost / 2500 psi HPO / 2800 RPM range which is nice. I don't have to drive with my eyes on my gauges and that makes it more fun to drive again.

I'm not knocking my PHP tunes. They are both different approaches and have their place. I'm not young and am happy with my GH tunes for most of my daily driving needs. Another benefit is that my GH Tow-Econ gets about .5 mpg better than my PHP 65Hp Daily Driver. While the PHP tune is definitely stronger, the GH tune is plenty powerful and it's like getting an extra gallon in each tank.

1023 and Jelibuilt are on my radar but after getting these baseline tunes from GH I am very satisfied with the selections I have. I can also switch between the GH and PHP tunes without any issues while driving, which makes it nice to have a tune on tap for whatever driving conditions or mood I'm in.

Old 06-18-2018, 04:36 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Glad to see you are finally on the right track with your tunes Brian. Don't discount SDK as a supplier either, I have heard some good things coming from his customers.

Old 07-02-2018, 05:09 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
The debacle continues.

I'm still waiting for PIS to deliver...something. It is weeks later after the friendly follow-up of "we haven't forgotten about you" while they wait to hear from their 'other tuner' on a recommendation and still nothing. I was ready to cut bait and return to shore when they dangled that sincerity carrot in front of me last month and I took a bite. If they were willing to call me back at 7pm (their time) to discuss my situation on the phone I thought they deserved another chance. How does the saying go? "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice..." I've chased my last piece of food hanging from a stick they're holding. If I don't get a big slice of cake with sweet butter cream icing (none of that savory cream cheese garbage) after this past year with them then it's kaput after this round.

Still chasing 3 leaks:
- Power steering keeps dripping and I'm pretty sure it's the Cardone gearbox. I plan to go the Blue-Top route when the coffers can accomodate. The random power steering puking is somewhat befuddling but will see what the new gearbox does.
- Oil is coming off the back of the engine on occassion and coating the undercarriage and leaving a puddle when I park...sometimes. Have no clue where it's coming from and haven't found any obvious culprits yet. There is a nice sheen on the underside to futher help my corrosion prevention.
- Coolant keeps weeping out of several locations. Degas overflow line connection, lower hose at the pump, and my redneck ball valve A/C mod when I ganked the Ranger valve (2nd one in a row that leaked). I don't see anything floating in the degas bottle so AFAIK it could be the cap not relieving at 16psi (would be nice if it was something that simple). The truck sat for 9 months so just about anything is possible at this point WRT parts and operability. The lower hose connection hasn't been replaced for awhile so that will be done at a minimum.

Solved my fuel leak. I couldn't see any noticeable problems around the Racor and nothing out of the ordinary with the lines/fittings. Since it never sees above atmospheric pressure I was definitely scratching my head. I haven't dropped the bowl since I installed it (did it once on the bench during assembly) so took it off along with the filter screen. Inspected it (bowl, filter, housing) and didn't see anything so carefully re-assembled with a fresh coat of fuel on the o-ring for good measure. Things went back together without issue and haven't had a drop hit the pavement since. I don't know exactly what was going on and I'm not going to ask, just enjoy the fact that I fixed s-o-m-e-t-h-i-n-g! I'd rather be lucky than good any day.

Since I installed the injectors the rhythm started to pick up a distinct noise. I though it was just the sound of the single shots but over the past couple thousand miles it has increased in intensity and has gone from a slight ticking to a knock. Dove in this past weekend and spent the day under the hood to do a hot torque of the lower injector hold-down bolts. Low and behold they were all loose! Every one needed at least 1/4 turn to get back to 120 in-lbs.

I installed new hold-down bolts with the new injectors as I figured 306K miles was a good life for the little guys. Installed the injectors and torqued them down. Got the engine running and did a hot torque on them. 6K miles later they are all loose. I don't know if it's because they're new and need to stretch a couple of times before they settle down or if I've got Tugly's issue now. Only time will tell as I have a new issue...

So the knocking is gone but the engine runs rough and shakes more than normal. Open the door to turn off the engine and the SES light is laughing at me...P1316 misfire!

Now I've got to set aside another day to go back in and check everything to see where I screwed up during the hot torque. Luckily none of this stuff is TTY otherwise I'd be living in a homeless shelter.

I've been battling this engine for almost 4 years now. I haven't gotten to any of the stuff I need/want to do to the truck as I can't seem to get past the engine. I would love to spend some time enjoying my 7.3L with it's legendary reliabillity.

There are days (plural, as in a lot more than one) that I have considered lifting the cab, pulling everthing off and replacing every o-ring I can reach.

So this gives me a reason to test drive FORScan. I'm going to download it today and sometime in the next few days try and figure out how to do a buzz test. Hopefully one of them won't buzz and I will know where to look for my misfire. It would be nice to only tear down one side and go under one valve cover.

The P1316 says I have codes stored in the IDM. Does anyone know if FORScan can read IDM codes too?

Thanks for letting me rant. Now I don't hate the truck as much as I did when I started typing.

Old 07-02-2018, 07:11 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Well Brian, that sucks... I wish I were closer to lend a hand when you needed it.

As for the IDM codes, not really sure how to read those and I think that the truck needs to have an intact AIH to run the buzz test, but I am not 100% sure.

I did Google reading IDM codes a few times and didn't find much. If/when you figure it out, post up here for future advice seekers.

Quick Reply: My 9 Month Long Summer Project (Injectors, Cups, Gauges, Racor, and More)