Electrical upgrades - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

Electrical upgrades

Old 01-13-2018, 10:13 AM
4x4slik
Elder User
4x4slik is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Electrical upgrades

Howdy all. I am rebuilding the 400 in my 77 F250 SC and figured I would upgrade the electrical too. What I have so far and what I am thinking of doing. I have a complete engine bay wiring harness from a 98ish ranger or explorer including power distribution block. I also have the headlight upgrade kit from LMC. I was going to redo it it because I don't really like how it is made or looks, but right now I just want things done. So, plan is headlight upgrade, 3g upgrade and relay harness for trailer plug, it works similar to the headlight upgrade using battery voltage and relays for trailer lights.

Any thing else I should do I am not thinking of? I will be keeping the factory fuse block and it's wiring, just lightening its load.

Thanks for the look and help.

Old 01-13-2018, 06:14 PM
Blue and White
Posting Guru
Blue and White is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
You are adding alternator capacity. That is good. Also headlight relays. Good also. You are integrating later model fuse blocks ect. Can be good. Attention to detail is required.

My main question is how are you distributing the power from the big alternator? It will want 8 gauge wire minimum between alternator and heavy loads and battery. 6 gauge even better. Also short circuit protection on the charge wire... big fuse or heavy fusible link. Is that part of the plan?

Old 01-13-2018, 07:15 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
HIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud of
Electrics

Additional clean grounds!!

Resettable circuit breakers instead of fusible links.

​​​​​

Old 01-14-2018, 01:45 PM
4x4slik
Elder User
Originally Posted by Blue and White View Post
You are adding alternator capacity. That is good. Also headlight relays. Good also. You are integrating later model fuse blocks ect. Can be good. Attention to detail is required.

My main question is how are you distributing the power from the big alternator? It will want 8 gauge wire minimum between alternator and heavy loads and battery. 6 gauge even better. Also short circuit protection on the charge wire... big fuse or heavy fusible link. Is that part of the plan?
I have the complete engine bay wire harness out of a 98? explorer. This had the 3g alternator, so I have the cable from the alternator and the 175 amp fuse for it. I will do all "add on" power from this power block. It will house maxi fuses small fuses and relays.

Old 01-14-2018, 01:47 PM
4x4slik
Elder User
Originally Posted by HIO Silver View Post
Additional clean grounds!!

Resettable circuit breakers instead of fusible links.

​​​​​
Grounds yes. This harness has loads of grounds and I will use them.

Replacing fusible links is a great idea. Have to plan on that.